So You Think You Can Dance

Monday 8:00 PM on FOX Premiered Jul 20, 2005 In Season

mccar29

User Score: 1998

So You Think You Can Dance Fan Reviews (271)

• I hope your listening

I have been there watching there every year and sometimes twice a year. I tune in for great dancing and great judges who give great fun along with guest judges. I am SO Disappointed so very Sad. I don't love the format but I get it and love the coaches. What I hate the most are the judges. Paula can barely speak and there is no rapport between the judges at ALL. I MISS MARY!!!! I MISS MARY!!!!! I do not know what happened but you need her back along with the great guest judges. I don't know if I will make it through this year but if its the same next year I will not waste my DVR space.
  • hate this format

I hate this format all around. It's boring and everything is too everyone is great. Even the elimination process is stupid- if you are in the bottom 2 then bounce, saving people undermines the viewers votes. Under the normal format, large chunk of these people wouldn't have made the top twenty. I don't mind the judges but miss Mary more than words. I wait all year for this show because it is usually quality all around, but I do not think I can choke down much more of this mediocrity.
  • Really, What Has Happened?

So I just can't get into the new judges, I fast forward until I get to Nigel because he is really the only one of the judges that makes any sense and has something note worthy to say. I hope they have some of the old guest judges, that would help - I think?

I still don't care much for the team captain thing or the street vs stage. I mean there were always street dancers and stage dancers intermingled and dancing to different style's.

As always though, I like the dancers, they have talent brought out by the choreographers and they are what keeps me coming back.

I really don't mean to be negative but at least get better judges.
  • What happened to my favorite show???

I so miss the previous street vs stage! Also, the other judges to include guest judges.
  • What happened to my favorite show?!?!

Bring Mary Murphy back please!!!! We need the hot tamale train critiques. Mary Murphy brought inspiring, insightful feedback to the contestants which made the show interesting and exciting.

Paul Abdul needs to go. Her critiques are boring and superificial, annoying.

Jason Derulo, great artist, terrible judge..

Bring the guest judge concept back too, Jessie Tyler Ferguson, the best!

MARY MARY MARY MARY MARY MARY
  • Jason Derulo

These young dancers need feedback in order to is fair,Nigel is strong but honest.

I am concerned with seems to me he is color two dancers are up,he will say fabulous things about the black dancer and just say "Nice job" or "You need to keep up with so and to the white have watched every week and hear it repeated over and has good advice to offer and knows his dance moves so please remind him everyone wants his praise.

• Are you LISTENING to your LONG TIME viewers at ALL???

I've read through the fan reviews and they all have a common happened to my FAVORITE show"?? The new judges are horrible and I will never understand why the show thought they were worth the time. Paula is LONG played out with no speaking skills at all. As for Jason, didn't know who he was before, but his pretty much lifeless. There are no words to explain how much I MISS the original show. IF this is all there is to offer, just take it off the air now, otherwise it will die a slow death. Nigel - you have always been my favorite and some how, you let it ALL GO WRONG.
  • SYTYCD BORING AF THIS SEASON

I have always loved SYTYCD even as I admit that Mary Murphy used to grate on my nerves. Honestly, I miss her! She was obviously annoying in a good way and I didn't know what I had until it was gone! Dammit I hate when that happens!

Back to this season, these dancers are moving slower and with less confidence, the routines are boring and dare I say easier, and the outfits are terrible. Even the camera work is jacked up where you can't enjoy it fluidly. The choreography is not impressive at all. I haven't felt moved by one performance this season. I usually am amazed by them all in past seasons. The judging is half-hearted like everyone is at the end of a 12 hour shift and just want to go home. No energy. I end up changing the channel half the time this season, so I admit I might have missed something redeeming.

In the end, I hope Mary comes back and some of the choreographers from past seasons. The show has to keep raising the bar and getting better. You can't show us excellence and wow us with the best dancing in the world and then bring out the second and third stringers and expect to keep everyone's interest.
  • Too Many Meds?

How much longer do we have to endure Paula Abdul? What sort of hold does she have on TV Execs? She was SOOOooo obviously over medicated on tonight's show! Aren't Debbie Allen, Twyla Tharp, Laurianne Gibson, Farah Khan, or Rosie Perez available?? What an embarrassment to everyone who dances to have this incurable wack job sitting there week after week!!
  • You've lost me forever...

I have been watching religiously since the first day of this show and loved when a hip hop kid had to do the Argentine Tango and when a classically-trained kid had to get down and dirty and unpoint their perfect feet. I absolutely HATE what you've done with this show this season and HATE that you brought in "has-been" Paula Abdul. You've lost me forever. I'm embarrassed to say I just switched it off for "Bachelor in
  • This is one of the LAST good dance competitions and we are sabotaging it

As the title says, So You Think You Can Dance is a rare show now a days. And I truely believe it has potential. Yes the costumes suck, yes Jason does not fit, yes, Paula will never be Mary Murphy and removing the Hot Tamale Train was a huge mistake. But the show still has the best talent out there, it still inspires a lot of aspiring dancers. Street vs Stage is a big change but I believe the fault was in the lack of explanation, even the dancers were confused about the format. But it is proving itself to be very intersting and refreshing. The only thing that bothers me a bit is that there are too much three person routines and it kind of makes it hard to focus on the dancers, they should cut it back to two after week 3. But besides that the choreographies are as beautiful and exciting as ever. Stop sabotaging and start looking on the positive side. Save the show, save the talent.
  • Almost unwatchable now

I have been a huge fan of this show and have raved about it to friends and colleagues. I am not opposed to the new format--although I don't understand why it needs to be a competition between "stage" and "street". Why not just require "stage" dancers to attempt more street routines? But, beyond that, the COSTUMES ARE TERRIBLE and are set against busy backdrops that don't allow you to see the dancers' bodies. The hair and makeup are also bad in this regard. Every week I feel sorry for some of the dancers who have to wear costumes that either look cheap (how many black straps do we need to see each show?) or interfere with their lines. The camera work and editing are frenetic, cut the dancers off, cut into judges' reaction shots instead of letting us see the choreography. We never get a chance to see the fullness of any performance (or portion of it) because the director keeps making decisions for us, cutting too quickly from camera to camera. The new judges are also not adding to the show at all. When I watched the anniversary show, it was easy to see how much the guest judges added to the format. Each week there was a new perspective, anchored by people who really seemed able to talk about dance knowledgeably. Finally, there have been moments of meanness from the judges, especially during the auditions, that were unnecessary and that never happened in the past (or at least were not shown). In short, the show is so burdened by these problems that I don't think the new format has had an adequate chance. I don't know what's going on, but I try to watch every week because I think there is still a phenomenally talented group of dancers and choreographers. Unfortunately, all the rest of it is making it impossible to enjoy their wonderful work or to really get a look at what this format might have to offer.
  • Done watching.

Love affair ended, dance thrill gone. Previous passion for SYTYCD abruptly ceased with this season's lack- lustre contribution to the arts. Gone are the props (think hotel luggage cart), absent are flowing ballgown and foxtrot. Replacement with mediocre routines and choreography turns my heart cold in despair. I yearn for absent beauty, talent, and skill of previous seasons! I can't watch this catastrophe, please return to your glory years!
  • What happened?

I really went into the new format with an open mind, but have been extremely disappointed. The dancers are just not on the same level as before, Jason is honestly a horrible judge and doesnt know what he is talking about, and even the choreographers are second rate and the dances are boring and slow. I could not believe after watching Asaf dance the judges said "we like you cause you try hard". This isnt about who can try the hardest, this is about americas best dancer!! If people danced like this on the previous seasons, they wouldve never made it to the top 20. SYTYCD better change for next season because me (as a really big fan of the show) is ready to give up on it after this season.
  • You Guys need to calm down

So much negativity? I've scene comment after comment about hating this new format. Is it really that bad? can people really not adapt to any change? There are many great things about this format. 1, since its randomized every week, it doesn't get stale. With normal couple, the problem is that some people make it further then they should, because they are carried by their partner. This way, you focus on the dancers one at a time. Sure, we dont get magical couples, but we still get magical moments.

Secondly, it leaves access to more creative routines. There are only so many storys you can do with just 2 people. with the groups thrown in all the time, it leaves great ideas for choreo. and about that, people are hating the choreography this year? its been pretty good so far, and its only been 3 weeks. You have to try new choreographers, you cant always use the same ones week after week.

Thirdly, People are talking shit about the street side, saying they are inferior and it shouldn't be on the show in the first place? What? im sorry, i though this show was to test people's versatility, not weather you can do amazing contemporary routines. and thats what this show was starting to do. last season there were like 2 to 3 contemporary dances a week. Wheres did all the ball room go? where did all the hip hop go? This format allows to have a more versatile show. i dont care if you know watch it for the contemporary dances, dont be selfish. this show is for EVERYONE.

Now of course there are some fault of this season, but not nearly as much as so many of you want to claim. Like the judges. i agree, paula and jason are kinda boring, especially jason. But weather we like it or not, people need to move on, im sure mary will be fine. Sure i wish she would come back, i love her, but things dont last forever. I just think people are being picky, and just hate change. cause this show is so interesting right now. Grow up people, embrace the change.
  • If it ain't broke

I'm so disillusioned!

It's like they cut the budget in half, everything

is cheap, choreographers, dancers are second rate,

even Cat seems depressed. This show used

to move me (embarrassingly, surprisingly) to tears, now

I'm fast forwarding through the heartless crap.

MARY MARY MARY

• why is Jason a judge? I don't get it!

4.5
    Horrible judges! Why Jason Derulo wtf?! At least bring back Mia Michaels, Debbie Allen! Anyone with some real judging skills! Paula is just a headache to me, never cared for her stiff akward personality. She speaks like her mind is flipping through channels, like she's temporarily tuning into herself. I miss Mary so much omg:( choreo sucks for the most part, not a fan this season.
  • What happened to SYTYCD?

1.5
    I have been a super fan of this show since its first season. Always so excited when a new season began. I went into this season with an open mind, but have been so disappointed. First, there is no chemistry with the judges. I miss Mary terribly. Paula and Jason are simply not cutting it. Bring back the guest judges. It was always so much fun to listen to their critiques. Now I simply fast-forward. Not liking the Stage vs. Street format. Most of all, not thrilled with the 3-person numbers. It's not working. I also think the choreography is not at the same level. No memorable numbers to date. All in all, just one big disappointment. It's almost like they are trying to get cancelled. Used to be the best talent contest on TV. Please go back to the old format, and bring back some life to the show - bring back MARY!!!
  • The Hot Tamale Train Sparkle is GONE

This season sucks. The format is not working, there were no guest judges in the judging rounds, and they fired Mary Murphy. There is no fun, no rapport with the judges. The life has been wrung out of this show that I had always enjoyed and anticipated watching. And why did they choose Asaf over Burim? Nothing makes sense. If they don't bring Mary show is a goner.
  • I miss the old SYTYCD!

Ok, so when people began complaining about the new format of SYTYCD, I took notice, but because I love the show so much, I wanted to believe it would be alright. I eagerly awaited the new season this May - my favorite show to watch during the summer months while I'm off as a teacher! I wasn't quite sure what to make of the Stage vs. Street format, but during the tryouts I watched while trying to find a dancer that stood out. Now that the competition part has been going on for several weeks, I have finally admitted to myself and to other avid fans, who agree by the way, that this just isn't working! The choreography is not good, the untrained dancers are not exciting to watch, except for maybe one or two, and the trained dancers are fair to good. I hope it's just the choreography in their case - they are not being given much to work with. The judging panel is not fun either!!! There is no wit or creativity to their comments and nothing constructive is handed to the dancers except from Nigel. I miss lyrical with two people on stage so much and I miss Mary Murphy!! Last night after watching Monday's show again with some neighbors and having a long discussion about all the disappointments this season, I went to bed with my iPad and watched multiple dances from seasons past. I ended up watching for two 1/2 hours and LOVING every second. There is NO COMPARISION to what used to be on the . There used to be banter, affection, conversation, humor, technique, beautiful dancing, hard work, great judging, creative criticism, improvement, the list goes on. As a trained dancer, albeit many years ago, I miss the inspiration, emotion, and beauty that used to be on SYTYCD. There are too many other things I can be doing with my time for the remainder of the summer other than watching and hoping to see these elements on a failing show. So sad....
  • Disappointed, poor season

There are a whole group of us young and older women who meet every week to eat and enjoy so you think you can dance and we are very disappointed in this season. The costuming is terrible and there is too much street dancing. The new choreographers are

doing strange routines and some are way too difficult for the beginning shows. We feel that so much street dancing has taken so much away from the old routines including everything. We will continue to watch but this is not our favorite show anymore and hopefully this will change before the season ends. Kat's dresses are atrocious this year. Too short, colors are terrible and the styles poor for her beautiful figure. We miss Mary and there's no connection with the judges.
  • Not Too Happy With the New Format

I have always loved, loved, loved SYTYCD. I have always loved it much more than Dancing With the Stars because these kids are trying so hard to become professionals and the choreographers are the best. However, with this new format, it's hard to watch because there are more than two dancers on the floor and it's hard to really see each of them well. The judges seem to like it but because they are pros, it isn't as hard for them to follow. I loved the old format much, much better. Plus, it's always been one of my favorite shows on TV. Please don't let it get canceled!!
  • Agree with all the comments-new format is bad

Where is the tango and the waltz and the samba, etc. Those are the dances I look forward to with a bit of hip hop mixed in. It was fun to watch a tapper or a street dancer grow and show the world they could do the ballroom dances and vice versa. This new format may appeal to a young audience and maybe that's what the new format is intended to do but being in my 50's I'm afraid they are about to lose me and I've watched the show from the
  • Sooooo disappointed!

I really look forward to watching this show every season. It is so disappointing this new format. I actually miss Mary screaming in Nigel's ear! She brought so much enthusiasm to the show! Adam Shankman is the bomb! Paula talks in staccato. It's really hard to listen to her talk. And the costumes are soooooo boring!!! Where did all the sparkles and glamour go? It's all dark fabric, and jumbled patchy fabric all over the body. And I agree with everyone that the camera angles are horrible and are all over the place. It's so hard to concentrate on the dance as a whole. Sooooo disappointed! Please someone from the show respond to our concerns!
  • So VERY sad!!

SYTYCD has always been my favorite reality show. It was something to look forward to every summer when so many shows are on hiatus. Now Monday nights are so sad, because I remember how excited I always was that SYTYCD came on Mondays. (Even my husband loved the show, and now he gets up and walks I simply don't understand FOX. First they took it down from a 2-night a week show to one night which totally changed the anticipation of who would be leaving the show, and crammed it all into one night. Then, they hired cameramen who are more interested in doing something creative with the camera than focusing on the dancers. It is so very frustrating to try and watch the dancers with the cameras jumping around constantly. The focus should be on the DANCERS!! Now they have hired boring new judges and changed the format. I am assuming the new format is the reason so many of the good choreographers have jumped ship. Now the routines are "dumbed down" to accommodate the untrained street dancers. The threesomes make it impossible for there to be any emotional connection, and the levels of ability of the three dancers never are even, so no one is ever together and the routines are lack-luster. The robot routine last night was the only routine I have seen all season that was great, and it was because it was hip-hop, the stage dancer had training in it, and there were only two people in it! Basically it was the only dance similar to the previous years that we all loved so much! I have never been a fan of Dancing with the Stars because I compared it to the level of dancing in SYTYCD, but I watched it this year because Allison Holker was on it, and I have long been a fan of hers since SYTYCD. Yes, I fast-forwarded past a lot of the silly ones they have on the show, but at least the cameras let you see the dance routine, and it's a shame to recognize that untrained celebrities did a better job than most of the dancers on SYTYCD this summer. It's so unfair to the kids who have trained so hard not to get to show off their chops. Please bring back beauty to dancing and entertain us on these long, hot summer nights!! FOX wake up, fire whoever you put in charge of SYTYCD, and get back to the winning show you had!!!
  • Where the hell is Mary Murphy?

This show has always made me laugh, cry, pull weird faces and jump around the lounge room. However, Paula Abdul is a choreographer not a TV presenter! SHE LITERALLY CANNOT CONSTRUCT A SENTENCE! I can tolerate the new layout even though I feel it pulls the level down but my door mat has more personality and heart than Paula Abdul! Shocked! Unfortunately the show will hurt without Mary Murphy....
  • Much Prefer the Older Format

I'm disappointed at the way the Street vs. Stage idea is working out. The choreography seems skewed toward street dancers. Especially the routine by Tovaris seemed to accommodate untrained dancers, and I'm generally finding the routines to be "dumbed down" and boring. I think in the past that it's been very exciting to see a street dancer, such as Twitch, rise to the difficult level of choreography. This year, however, the choreography seems to be sinking to the level of the untrained dancers. I hope that the old system will be implemented again next year. That having been said, I truly love what SYTYCD brings to television entertainment and look forward to it every year. Thanks, Nigel, for keeping it going!
  • Most disappointing "dancing" show I've ever watched

As a competitive dancer for 18+ years, I've altered my schedule in order to watch SYTYCD every year until now. The street v stage is the worst move the show could've ever pulled. Street dancing is what Americas Best Dance Cree is for, NOT SYTYCD. I could go on and on about the horrible choices made. 1. Getting rid of Mary Murphy. 2. Addition of mediocre street dancers. 3. Dumbed down choreography to accommodate the street dancers who've never done choreography in their life. 4. Jason derulo. 5. Paula Abdul. 6. Removing lots of Sonya & Travis' choreography. I could Literally go on forever.

Well youve lost 1 viewer here, who used to be absolutely thrilled with your show & watching beautifully trained dancers perform phenomenally. Sad to say this is probably this show's last season. Guess I'll have to rewatch all the old season's episodes now
  • Make It Stop!

This season is just terrible. I've been a fan since Season 2 and I've never been so disappointed. I hate the new Stage v. Street format, cannot STAND the new judge lineup and the costumes are just awful. The camera work sucks, and honestly this group of dancers just generally feels weaker to me; there is no one who stands out, no one even seems like they have the chops to win. Even the routines seem uninspired, I mean the "Club ChaCha"? Asaf just stood there! Can't stand the 3 person routines and I really miss Jesse Tyler Ferguson and Christina Applegate. I just hope this isn't the last season because it would sucks for them to go out this way.

• Whose brilliant idea is this new format

We have watched from the very first year and loved this program. My very favorite. SO disappointed this year. Always loved how the show got some of the street performers to do waltzes, etc. etc. now it all looks the same. Nothing exciting going on. I can't believe how disappointing this season is. Old saying if it's not broke don't fix it! Sorry not going to recommend this program anymore