So You Think You Can Dance

Tuesday 8:00 PM on FOX Premiered Jul 20, 2005 In Season

mccar29

User Score: 1998

So You Think You Can Dance Fan Reviews (210)

• This year was horrible, I am sorry. and the finale, that I waited for all week, a complete let down.

What the heck is going on this year. I mean they are all NOBODY is really jamming the floor, and honestly I cannot believe that I was fast forwarding over dances. None of the judges are really that excited, it is so obvious. Mary Murphy, is giving compliments, that seem to be forced. No they are forced, fake, and a complete let down this year.

If Ricky does one more right leg extension, I am going to shut off the tv or watch a movie. Can he do that with his left leg? Nope, haven't seen it yet. Here is my prediction. They want tappers to win this year, obviously. Sad to say, tapping was or is exciting to the age group now from the 40s and 50s, who are now in their late 70s or early 80s, honestly the people really watching the show are not that excited over it. I was a tapper , even went to college for dance in Philadelphia..... Yes tapping is hard, but boring now. Honestly I liked the show better when thier was a group of guys and a group of girls. There really isnt anybody in the finale that is that outrageously good this year. Complete let down. I hope they fix this next year, because I've never been this bored with this show. There isn't one dance, (with the exclusion of Zack, a little?)that covers a huge part of the dance, floor, again, boring, a let down, nothing special, and probably will not watch next year. What a bummer. Looking for a movie on a pay channel instead and turning it off. Jessica and Ricky probably should win, but again, nothing that great, but watch valerie and zack take it cuz they are tapping , They never had tapper winners, guess they are trying to be different. Who cares, they ruined it this year.
  • Never too old to learn

71 years old and never knew or cared about dance until my wife and I started watching SYTYCD. Watched season 1 and haven't missed an episode since. Most entertaining show on TV. Amazing talent and beautiful choreography. I feel like I've received an education in dance. I know I could be a better judge than some of the big name singer/actor judges who don't know anything about dance. Their flippant cliche comments are embarrassing (almost as bad as Randy Jackson on AI). Especially enjoyed Misty Copeland. I'm too old to do much dancing (although my twist always draws a crowd at wedding receptions) but I have gained a great appreciation for dance because of this show.
  • Season 11 sucks

The best seasons were 3-10. 1 and 2 were good also, but each year continued to get better than the last one. Season 11 is no where close to any of the previous seasons. I stopped watching especially after the best female dancer on the show this season (Tanesha) was booted off.
  • Utter Disappointment

4.5
    I've been watching this show for 6 years and although there's always been the tween voting factor and a fair amount of producer manipulation (it is reality television after all!) I'd always appreciated the fact that SYTYCD attempted to be innovative, genuine and encouraged talent and growth.

Now the show is overblown, lazy and completely biased. I'm of course annoyed by factors other people have pointed out (distracting camera movement, vanilla cast and unfair voting practices), but worst by far is the blatant bias. Valerie is the worst example of this; she has been one of the weakest dancers, propped up only by the choreographers' help (she got one of the strongest partners to start out with and got to sit for half of the dances this week) and the judges' empty praise. I'm also pissed off about Ricky and Jessica. Don't get me wrong, they're both amazing, but I would have probably liked them (and not minded them winning, which they obviously will) were it not for them being shoved down my freaking throat. They were both always highlighted in the group dances (Ricky especially was always front and center, with the cameras and lights always focused on him) and were endlessly lauded by the judges and choreographers ("You're the one to beat" to Ricky practically every week. Very subtle!).

In the end I will probably still end up watching, but I'll fast forward through half of it and not even bother to vote. At least I'm happy to know that like most reality television shows, winning means absolutely nothing (see all their most popular alumni who didn't take first: Travis Wall, Twitch, Mark, etc,). My favorite dancers have the actual talent and will continue to do amazing things.
  • Voting Process Suck

I don't think the dancers fate should be left up to America! I think this whole thing is a popularity contest based on factors other than their dancing. Valerie should have definitely been in the bottom 2, her routine the week before was so weird. She didn't pull it off at all. I think it should have been Kasey and Valerie. I bet people are like OMG look how fast and how many spins Kasey can do, I'm going to vote for him. Also, I wonder how many people have been voting from the beginning and have seen the dancers from the beginning of the season. See the flaw! If somebody tunes in here and there and see an amazing routine and like them immediately and then don't pay attention to there overall performances then I don't see how America can be in charge of judging. It's really unfortunate.
  • Facebook's Favorite Dancer

I LOVE SYTYCD. I despise facebook. So as much as I love the show, and want to vote for my favorites, I won't be voting. It is not right to force people to use a service they may not be able to use, or like me, refuse to use, to vote. So I guess this year it will not be America's favorite dancer, but Facebook's favorite dancer who wins. This is just wrong.
  • cruel elimination format

what really bothers me about this season (besides the ridiculous guest judging), is the way they hear of their elimination right after they dance. Why not let them know at the end of the show? How cruel it was to give them a great review of the dance then tell them they were voted off. What they did to Rudy was just so ridiculous. And it's not just him.

I don't have faith in the audience to vote for the best dancer's. It really is America's Favorite Dancer. There's no deception involved there. America votes for their favorites. I'm no different. Favorite is totally subjective. It's opinion. But I don't want to have to look away after every review so I don't have to see their broken hearts. Wait till the end. Make the show more pleasant.

Still love the dancing. The quality of contestants and the choreographers is still excellent. So much to love. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water!

Nigel. Shut up. You are so often annoying. Your comment about the Emmy's was so embarassing. True or not.

• Really disappointed in Season 11 - have the judges lost their minds?

So last week they eliminated Tanisha the fabulous and kept Valerie, the mediocre tap dancer. I realize this was the result of the viewer's voting, but I blame Nigel for influencing the audience with his reviews of Valerie's dancing in every previous episode. Week after week, he and Mary piled undeserved praise on this dancer, and though she is cute and adorable, this competition is about dancing, not looks or personality. A factor to consider, I'm sure, is that Nigel used to be a tapper and I think he is incapable of being unbiased when judging their performances. But are he and the other judges blind to the fact that Valerie has terrible technique several levels below other fabulous dancers who have since been eliminated? Does he not see how her arms flail around in an awkward manner whenever she is doing anything besides tap? I am so worried that somehow she will win the season. What style will she do when she comes back as an all-star? Freakin' tap dancing, which is my opinion is a snore to begin with?
  • Really????

Something needs to be done about the voting process. I mean.... REALLY..... Rudy and Tanisha! They excelled in every dance they did. Judges loved them crowd loved them, and I can only guess that the viewing audience loved them.

The 2 that got to stay were not near as talented. Drives me nuts when the BEST dancers are consistently voted off.

And on a side note.... The producers need to do something about the gawd awful camera shots/work. Half the time we're blinded by spot lights in the camera and the other half the camera is whirling around the dancers so it is almost impossible to SEE the actual dance.
  • FB ONLY voting unfair, but then voters & judges lack integrity regardless so perhaps a moot point

5.5
    We've watched for years, the voting always downright annoying. This year tops the cake with online/app voting only available via FB. Sorry to the many talented individuals who won't get votes from discriminate viewers. And couldn't agree more regarding the camera. We want to watch the dancers not how creative the video crew can get. August 13 proved it's yet another tragic season. Clearly voters don't vote based on talent. Without question there is NO way Tanisha and Rudy should have been let go this week. Consistently strong, constantly growing and always beyond impressive. And we're very tired of listening to the judges and their inconsistent remarks between contestants. Outside of the dancers, the show itself is falling prey to the substandard reality TV mediocrity. Such a shame indeed but this show will likely be on the chopping block!
  • terrible season

This season sucks there isn't one standout performer. Emilio was clearly the most talented dancer but yet as they did with everyone else this season he got voted out. The biased nature of how this show favors contemporary over other styles makes these dance routines very vanilla. This season (11) top 20 is not very strong or diverse. The ratings are so bad now along with the new voting mechanic, that this season will probably be the nail bitter for this show being continued.
  • SYTYCD IS STUPENDOUS!!

Hi! So I have been watching SYTYCD since Season 8 and I think it is the bomb diggity!! I could not agree more with rogersic (posted November 10, 2013). This show has some flaws, but ALL shows do! The great in this show far outweighs the not so great. I get SO excited on Wednesday nights to sit down and engage in the show. I feel very blessed to be able to delight in the show with a roof over my head, a glass of water sitting right next to me, and eyes and ears to really feel the immense emotion that radiates off of all of the dancers. Most of all, I feel very blessed to live in a country where people CAN dance and share the talents that God has given them with the world. I love watching all the contestants dance, no matter if it is their style or not, because I know dancing is what they love to do; it is their passion. The greatest gift you can give the world is to do what you love, and unfortunately, many people cannot/do not do what they love. This is just a great show and gives many opportunities to the dancers. I am amazed every week with the effortlessness the dancers show while dancing. WOW! So awesome!! :-)
  • Boring Beige Season 11

I have given up on season 11, I am sure the ratings are falling and it is not just because of Facebook voting, hyper moving cameras and screaming audiences (and screaming Mary). This complete dominance of ideally trained cookie cutter dancers is stifling this season, this will very likely be a nail in the coffin of the show. That would be a pity to me as I have been a fan for years.

The diversity of styles and the struggles of some dancers to not just adapt but to evolve on the show has produced dance heroes which viewers have taken to, or in some cases even fought against, in either case building the interest and dynamic nature of SYTYCD, without this factor it becomes what is now (season 11) just another destined for cancellation dance show.

JUDGES, your choices for CAST MEMBERS have to be more creative in the future or the show will go the way of every single dance show before it, and so many future dancers and dance fans are hoping otherwise.
  • Worst season Yet

I'm utterly disappointed by the uninspiring performances and the cast that screams vanilla in every way. This used to be my absolute favorite show, one that I argued with my husband for the right to watch for two hours each week. Watching the auditions gave me goosebumps, but somehow, even though there were some truly unique performances, the least exciting and the least original dancers were selected. I definitely will not buy tickets to see this top 10 which lacks diversity. If next years outcome is similar, I won't waste my time watching at all. I doubt that I'll make it through the remainder of this season. I'm very sad and again, disappointed.
  • Stop moving the camera, please!

Love the show but I don't want to get sick watching it. Please let us feel like we're in the audience and allow the cameras to show the view from the audience. The spinning and cutting from camera to camera is just not worth watching.
  • Refuse to Vote Now

I think it is absolutely ridiculous that you must have a Facebook account to vote. Many people do not use Facebook. This is very unfair to the dancers, because many who want to vote do not want to join Facebook. Although I have a Facebook account, I just think this sucks and is unfair.
  • Screaming fans

audience. It has to stop
  • Turn off the audience screaming!

Hearing the audience scream during the performance is distracting and frankly ruins a lot of really good performances for me. I want to focus on the dancing and hearing the music and get lost in it all. Hearing a bunch of girls scream every time something great happens just totally takes me out of the moment. Even Nigel has mentioned it several times a couple weeks ago. Just turn off the microphones for the audience during the performance, it adds nothing. If you don't believe me, take a vote. I can't imagine many people actually think it adds something. Please stop, it's ruining the show for me that I really love.
  • Hate The New Voting

I have loved SYTYCD since its first debut. I am very disappointed that I cannot vote. I think it is totally absurd that people have to vote via FB. I am one of those individuals who do not have any interest in using FB for my own reasons. Most of everything is done online now days and it is more convenient to vote online instead of a telephone line. I think that a lot of great dancers will lose a lot of votes just because many of us are unable to vote because of the FB challenge. If I am not able to vote for my favorite dancer then what is the reason that I should watch the show. What is the point of even downloading an APP to your phone if you are unable to utilize it, hence you must vote via FaceBook from your cell phone as well. I hope the producers change this method because there are a lot of people who are not in agreement. Did they once think about the older and more mature crowd who don't use social media platforms??? I guess not!!! Signed Old Fashion...
  • Disenfranchised

I've loved the show since season 1, and I too am upset that voting is now FB only. For a show that actually tries to teach audience connection, it's an ironic move. Limiting the voting to subscribers of a creepy social network leaves many of us disenfranchised, and I can feel my caring for the show draining away. 10 for the show, 2 for the network execs.
  • I just wish it were fair to all styles of dance.

I want to see a contemporary or ballet dancer be sent to choreography only to find out the choreography is hip hop. It's so sad to see all hip hop heads fail when they get to choreography and find out it's technical. If not trained, a hip hop dancer doing contemporary will look just as silly as a contemporary dancer doing hip hop. ): Just give everyone a fair and equal chance! I definitely think the show is fun and nice to watch but I get so upset seeing talented dancers go home because they can't do a style and it never ever happens to a contemporary, modern, ballet, or technical dancer because as far as the society is concerned tilts are harder than grooving (which is debatable). Please be fair to all styles, SYTYCD! I'd hate to see a technical dancer go home due to hip hop choreography as much as I hate seeing this happen to hip hop dancers!
  • All NEW Facebooks favorite Dancer! FB voting sucks

5.5
    I can no longer participate in the voting because of FB. What a shame. The show itself is still great, but the voting was an important part of enjoying the show. Made you feel as if you were participating.

Now just call it "Facebooks Favorite Dancer" and leave America out of it.

• ONLY FB VOTING IS AWFUL AND UNFAIR TO PEOPLE WITHOUT FB

I am absolutely upset I can not vote because I do not have a FB page not fair that us that want to steer away from that media site can not take part in casting our opinion on the show we love... the producers need to change that ASAP I hope when they see the count is not high they change on the split .. I REFUSE TO MAKE A PAGE ON A SITE I DO NOT WANT TO BE PART OF JUST TO VOTE... By the way did anyone catch one person did not have their 8 second run down... One of my favs will give a hint female Tapper can anyone guess her name.. BUT THE SHOW STILL IS THE MOST AMAZING SHOW WHO CRIED WHO MELTED YOUR HEART WHO FELT THOSE AMAZING MOMENTS.... So many ballroom dancers this season I cant wait to see them out of their elements Over ALL amazing show Opinion on each Couple to follow
  • Love SYTYCD but too much camera moving

the show is great but this year the camera is moving too much and its difficult to focus on dancers, It makes you dizzy and distracts from the dance routine
  • Is anyone else sick of seeing so much of the judges??

I love this show, but I am getting more and more fed up with the amount of time the judges are shown when dancers are performing. I appreciate the judges, but I want to see THE DANCERS. I don't give a flip about seeing the judges faces while the dancers are on. Come on, guys! You say this is about the dancers and people being given a chance they may not have gotten otherwise, but I think you are making it about yourselves. Lets get back to the dancers!!!
  • The reason I hate so you think you can dance

Hip hop, break dancing, popping and locking, all that is considered dance too, and I'm tired of having these judges place amazing dancers in a position they can't do. If you made someone who does ballet, do crumping, they would fail. Placing someone who does break dancing or hip hop into lyrical or partner dances doesn't prove they can dance, it just proves how naive the judges are. I'm bored and tired of watching good dancers go home, back to dancing on the streets and in front of mirrors and not given a chance because they can do a proper pli. In conclusion, not all dance is lyrical or jazz.
  • Love SYTYCD! Don't quit after season 11!

I love SYTYCD and I really want to try out in 4 years when in old enough. These people are amazing!! And I think the show should not quit after season 11!!!
  • I'm annoyed

I'm annoyed with SYTYCD. I find that nowadays, the final 20 is generally Ballet, Contemporary or Jazz dancers. And their definition of "Hip Hop" dance routines is not what Hip hop dancing use to be. And their show revolves around dancers who can dance with a partner. Not every dance style involves a partner. They're are so many people who dance other styles than the three I listed and they're good. But they seem to never make to the final 20 or only one make it from a different dancing category. I still wished Cyrus had won season 9, he was amazing. This show has gotten ridiculous. However, I enjoy watching the auditions.
  • Disappointed

Hate Mary Murphy (thank goodness for mute buttons), love the addition of the crews. Disappointed that they chose a self indulgent punk with no moral compass like JB to introduce it. Surely there is someone more relevant and a better role model if they want to attract a younger crowd to watch. Also he and his "choreographer" have no personality and made their few minutes on air about them and not about the dancers.
  • have to agree to disagree

Like Amican Idol I really think this show hit its stride in season 5 and 6. I personally feel while still okay it is also past its prime. Open up the slot form something new. Fox. Stop holding on to the same shows year after year.
FOX