So You Think You Can Dance

Monday 8:00 PM on FOX Premiered Jul 20, 2005 In Season

User Score: 1998

So You Think You Can Dance Fan Reviews (316)

• Choreography

I felt sometimes the dancers received low scores because the choreography was not 100%. You can only dance (sometimes) as good as your choreography. Nice to try a new format to see what works and what doesn't work. The votes are in. Hopefully the producers will do the right thing to get their ratings back up. Congrats to the winner! (I ain't hating)! :0)
  • Terrible format

This years format of stage vs street horrible. Judges gave tough and terrible criticism to the stage performers. Jim was the best talented dancer and didn't get to the finals???? It was alwYs about the street dancers . Seemed like that was all we were watching. And even numbers going home from each team???? Should have best dancers and highest votes. And the finale was almost all street dancing. I want the emotional graceful dancing, ball room dancing and more trained dancers back! Not saying that street dancing shouldn't be on too but not 90% street and not given advantages or being favored. If this is format and judges for next year won't be watching. And glad that Gabby won! I thought her or Jim would have taken it. Loved Jaja and Vurgil but not to win.
  • not even the same show anymore

SYTYCD used to be something I looked forward to every week. This year it felt like a chore to watch it. I kept hoping that the next week would be better but I was constantly let down. Firstly, the judging panel was absolutely terrible. There was no chemistry whatsoever, and it was painful to listen to Jason and ESPECIALLY Paula try to sound like they knew what they were talking about. Mary's energy was desperately needed. Also, the whole format of stage vs. street was a total let down. All it succeeded in was degrading the street dancers and making excuses for certain dancers not to live up to the standards and technique of specific styles. There should have been two separate shows, or they shouldn't have combined the stage and street dancers for weekly routines. Throughout the season, I wasn't extremely attached to any of the dancers, whereas last year I knew from the first episode that I would wholeheartedly rout for Ricky and Jessica. All of the dancers were pretty bland and no one ever stood out to me. The one dancer who did was Jaja, and I was very disappointed that she didn't win given that Gaby is such a typical contestant and someone that won't be remembered in 2 months from now. Lastly, the choreography completely lacked this season. Where were the life changing Sonya Tayeh and Travis Wall routines? This show used to have me crying over countless routines and this year I didn't shed a tear. There were good dances, don't get me wrong, but nothing really moved me this year. I miss the SYTYCD that inspired me to become a better dancer. This season left me with a sour taste in my mouth and a relatively negative view on the dance world. If nothing changes, don't count on my view for next year.
  • Please bring back guest judges!

Jason Derulo is horrible! Bring back guest judges and ballroom. This is by far the worst season ever.
  • This season of sytycd is totally boring.

The 2015 show is just boring. Bad idea: stage and street. Sorry Nigel, you need a couple of upbeat judges for your repartee. Paula can't talk and is a total yawn week after week. So is Derulo. Mary's energy is much needed. Guest judges Or another upbeat energetic person. Think this might be the swan song.
  • So Sad - This show has gone downhill fast this season!

Miss the old format, actual judging (can't stand Paula; she's the reason I stopped watching American Idol), and dance variety. Now it's all hip-hop (really get tired of all the crotch-grabbing; it's so stupid), more hip-hop, contemporary and, oh, hip-hop. Hip-hop is so boring, nothing seems to be new. Where's the ballroom and other variety this season? It got a little better towards the end, but where are the costumes? Did you spend all the money on the new set and have nothing left over for talented choreographers, costumes and valid judges? Probably won't watch next season, if you can manage to bring it back. Congrats to Cat!
  • Nigel, What ARE YOU Thinking?

If a massive back wall of lights & criss-crosses overtake 2 little dances - I can't see the dance & can't FEEL the story!!!!! When I don't feel much I change the channel.

This show used to be full of dances that transported me & inspired me, the guest choreographers were fabulous! and so was Mary!

Cat talking like a mother hen is a bit too much for goodness sake.

I like Jason & Paula, especially Jason but you don't have fun or chemistry with them.

Please come back to the golden era of SYTYCD & wait 'till the end of the show to tell dancers & us who has the least votes. I can't enjoy it no more. Plllllllllllllllllease bring back the original format.
  • Love this show - this style - these dancers - HATE PAULA!!

Having Paula on this show is so useless. Just record her telling everyone how great they are and then making rude comments to Nigel. Bring back Mary Murphy - she was a joy even when she screamed all the time. I personally liked Jason and found that he gave useful criticism to all dancers.

I do miss the old format in that there seemed to be a better variety of dance styles. This year MANY of the dances were rather tasteless - I didn't want my children watching some of the routines and this has always been our family favorite.

The dancers are amazing -- where are all of the choreographs?? There was such a great variety of dance and styles because of these people. They should be there making this show as awesome as it should be. I enjoyed seeing them as judges - Adam Shankman? Mia Michaels? where are you? Doesn't the show want to pay for these guest judges?

Please make changes -- and Paula should be the main one - get rid of her!
  • Missing all the ballroom dance styles

Really disappointed this year. Missing all the ballroom dance styles. Tired of contemporary and hip hop the entire season. Please go back to the old format and old judges. We want Mary back!! Go away Paula and Jason!
  • I miss ballroom, salsa, disco, etc.

I personally would like to see the past format, more ballroom, salsa, Latin influences, disco, less street. More balance.
  • worst season ever

I'm so disappointed with this season! Always one of my favorite shows, this season just didn't cut it! The dancers were amazing, but the format and judges just ruined it! I love Paula, but not for this Jason?????? Even Nigel wasn't the same without his sidekick Mary! BRING BACK MARY MURPHY!!!!!!
  • Judge4

Ever wonder why you are losing your audience. final 4 and the judges are acting weird and competing against each other with good comments for their favorite dancer or negative to bring down another dancer WOW
  • I hate this season

I really don't like the stage v street!! I try to watch but I'm really disappointed that there isn't a variety of dances, like salsa numbers, disco, ballroom; etc. Now those are a real challenge!! I don't care to watch anymore!!

I really, really don't care for this new format. There is NO MAGIC in the show this season. The choreography has been great, but just don't see any true, wholehearted jumping into character for the dancers. This is not to say that these are not great dancers, they are. But are they STARS?? Where are their personalities? Ew... and the judging panel - I don't want to hear what my 12 year old could say. Paula and Jason need to go. I am utterly bored period. I had to go back to the other seasons to be excited and entertained.
  • And the final judge from Team SYTYCD...

Our new judges may have experience in dance, performance, and choreo, however, their judging skills aren't up to par. No of the judges have chemistry. Kat and Nigel's jokes aren't funny, or smooth. It's starting to get embarrassing. I'm used to Nigel's comments and critique, but lately he keeps reiterating why street should be part of the dance industry. It's starting to sound more like an, "I told you blah blah" and a way to promote street dancing rather than just being happy that street is being recognized. And now back to Jason and Paula, they stumble so much on their words that it makes it hard to listen to them. Sometimes, it sounds like they are trying to watch their words and not hurt anyone's feeling; making it into a bunch of jarbled words that make no sense. I don't know but I think the judges need to start getting voted off. Bring in the guest judges, take out Jason and Paula. I actually loved it when it was Mia Michaels and the other pro choreographers critiquing. Oh and one more thing, the camera and stage doesn't help the dancers this year. Did they fire people? What's going on at SYTYCD?
  • USED to be a rabid fan! Am so mad about new format I can barely watch the show and now don't care who wins each week.

HATE the new format! New stage is too small. Camera work is still bad. Amateurs shouldn't have to compete with Pros as partners because they will always look unpolished/bad. I used to care about partnerships and individuals and now I don't because my eye is always going to the pro - except in the case of Comfort who I can't believe they brought back cause she looks sloppy and sluggish. They used to praise the choreographers to choreographing to the couples strength. So how does that happen now when the pro is in their strength area and the contestant isn't?
  • hands down, worst season

With Jim gone, there is no reason even to vote this week.

Having to keep an equal number of street and stage dancers is ridiculous. The street dancers cannot compete without that contrivance.

I look forward to the SYTYCD season every year, but this one is a huge disappointment. The All Stars and Jim were the only bright spots.

Travis and tWitch have been diminished and trivialized by their roles this season.
  • Judging the judging

SYTYCD is my favorite show, have not missed an episode ever, but I did something tonight I've never done: before : i turned it off before it was over. Get rid of Derulo-he's uninformed about dance & inane, & Paula isn't much better. The show seems "rigged": Jim has had to do hip hop 3 times & tonight samba & gets criticized for his "flaws" (Derulo's word) both styles way outside his area, but the others have had several in their genres with generous praise. If this street/stage format continues next year, I doubt I will watch this show that I wait for all year. I'm sad and disappointed about the choices & changes made this year.

This is what you will be seeing next year. We are watching, or some of us were watching, the end of sytycd.

The dancers deserve better than Paula, and Jason just plain sucks. Jason is a mimic and has little original feedback. In fact it's sooooooo funny to here him say words like Plie or Arabesque and you can tell he is WAY out of his element. He's drab and classless, no real energy at all. I hear that he will be replacing Tim Gun on Project Runway next year.

Paula is, well Paula, emotionally gushy, inarticulate, stammering and so afraid of offending the dancers that her value as a constructive judge is an epic fail. There is no chemistry with the judges this year and I miss the guest judges and of course Marry, the shows anchor . Everyone in the professional dance world has more or less abandoned the once GREAT and sublime SYTYCD of yesteryear. They NEVER should have brought STREET into this show. A smarter move would have been to have a show ONLY on street dancing and left SYTYCD alone!!

Thank you for 11 GREAT YEARS and I'm so sorry to see you go.
  • See what the judges say, not what you see

This used to be a show about dance. Now Nigel has decided it must be part of the street dance movement, a show for the times. Wake up, Nigel! The show used to show a rich range of dance. Now it's all about showing how street dance is just as good as classic dance with choreography.

Forget this viewer from here on. After the three judges pandered to the street movement on August 31, it's a mockery.
  • Only black in wardrobe..

How about some color, black and gray, black background . We loose the dancers in lights and black. The dullest show I ever world has enough sadness, color it up a least one show.
  • Love this show to pieces

I think 4 contestants should win this year. In no particular 4 of these are phenomenal: Jaja, Jim, Virgil, Gabby
  • Getting Harder To Enjoy

This has always been one of my favorite shows to watch because of the great dance quality and creative choreography. But I am simply not enjoying it as much because it is so hard to actually see the dancing. While the lighting might look good sitting in the audience, it is horrible while viewing it on tv. There is so much glare from the lighting that it is actually hard to see the dancing. The photography of the show is just terrible. The camera is constantly moving so that you can't really see the dance. There is such great dancing but with the camera constantly in motion I feel like I miss half or more of the actual dance. Am just not enjoying it like I used to because it takes so much effort to see beyond the lighting and photography issues. Loved it when I could actually see the dancing.
  • The street suck this year

I've been a fan of the show since it started but the street versus stage I don't really care for because the street side of it has been really watered-down. I'm never seen hip-hop that is so nice the way it is being dance on the show and It needs more grit and more substance to it ....... They really need to step up their game in the hip-hop department
  • Are people born with dance technique?

I hated watching the judges berate the street dancers for their lack of technical skills. Duh! Everyone is very aware that some privileged kids had years of dance instruction and others didn't, but to expect the street dancers to show technique they've never been given the opportunity to develop was nothing short of cruel.
  • fan of dance & fast forward

I LOVE THIS SHOW! I think it is a fantastic, essential venue for dance, I have watched every season, and have also followed the amazing careers of our beloved all stars! The new format (imo) is not dreadful & most of the choreo is awesome, that said:

I miss Mary.

I could not watch this show without the ability to skip Paula completely, she is STILL such an incoherent mess, regardless of dance as her forte. Jason may be slightly more articulate, but I rarely agree with him about the numbers, he comes across as an arrogant jerk. I still love Nigel and Kat, but all the fun rapport is gone, or fake &that is worse. I hate to cringe & it is pretty constant this season. I feel N &Ks proximity embarrassment and that is never good.

• So You Think You Can Judge?

What were you thinking? Street can't stage. And stage can't street. No wonder the judges are disappointed. I am. The judges comments are tedious, repetitive and boring. Ask the dancers for chemistry? The judges have none. Bring back dancing. Or I won't be back!
  • Terrible judging. this show is being ruined.

I have watched all but 2 seasons of this show and was so looking forward to seeing it again this year but what have they done? They are totally ruining this show if they haven't already done so. The judging is terrible, especially since they only have these 3 judges week after week. Maybe they couldn't get any guest judges because the show has become so unfun. Especially Jason Derulio. He is rude and obnoxious. He doesn't seem to know what he is talking about. I'm afraid Paula is my favorite and That is saying NOTHING.

They all are just mean way too often. Again, Paula at least has some sensitivity..

They have a bunch of great dancers, and choreographers, it's not their fault.

Perhaps the worst is the way they reveal the bottom vote getting dancers. It's cruel! and not fun for the audience, wait til the end for Godsakes!

I used to LOVE this show, still love the dancing but mostly the show just pisses me off every week.
  • What happened

This show used to be my favorite. But it just sucks this season. Really dislike only these three judges, no variety. I only watch the show when recorded so I can just fast forward everything that isn't about the dancers. I am so sad about this season and I think it's interesting that the boy girl ratio stays intact, this whole season seems rigged.

• hate the chgs this year

Bad judges, poor idea of stadge vs thisvthe first season thst I was Bored! Have been a watcher since season is w

The Worst bring back the old format