So You Think You Can Dance

Monday 8:00 PM on FOX Premiered Jul 20, 2005 In Season

mccar29

User Score: 1998

So You Think You Can Dance Fan Reviews (301)

• hands down, worst season

With Jim gone, there is no reason even to vote this week.

Having to keep an equal number of street and stage dancers is ridiculous. The street dancers cannot compete without that contrivance.

I look forward to the SYTYCD season every year, but this one is a huge disappointment. The All Stars and Jim were the only bright spots.

Travis and tWitch have been diminished and trivialized by their roles this season.
  • Judging the judging

SYTYCD is my favorite show, have not missed an episode ever, but I did something tonight I've never done: before : i turned it off before it was over. Get rid of Derulo-he's uninformed about dance & inane, & Paula isn't much better. The show seems "rigged": Jim has had to do hip hop 3 times & tonight samba & gets criticized for his "flaws" (Derulo's word) both styles way outside his area, but the others have had several in their genres with generous praise. If this street/stage format continues next year, I doubt I will watch this show that I wait for all year. I'm sad and disappointed about the choices & changes made this year.
  • SEASON 13 CANCELLED

This is what you will be seeing next year. We are watching, or some of us were watching, the end of sytycd.

The dancers deserve better than Paula, and Jason just plain sucks. Jason is a mimic and has little original feedback. In fact it's sooooooo funny to here him say words like Plie or Arabesque and you can tell he is WAY out of his element. He's drab and classless, no real energy at all. I hear that he will be replacing Tim Gun on Project Runway next year.

Paula is, well Paula, emotionally gushy, inarticulate, stammering and so afraid of offending the dancers that her value as a constructive judge is an epic fail. There is no chemistry with the judges this year and I miss the guest judges and of course Marry, the shows anchor . Everyone in the professional dance world has more or less abandoned the once GREAT and sublime SYTYCD of yesteryear. They NEVER should have brought STREET into this show. A smarter move would have been to have a show ONLY on street dancing and left SYTYCD alone!!

Thank you for 11 GREAT YEARS and I'm so sorry to see you go.
  • See what the judges say, not what you see

This used to be a show about dance. Now Nigel has decided it must be part of the street dance movement, a show for the times. Wake up, Nigel! The show used to show a rich range of dance. Now it's all about showing how street dance is just as good as classic dance with choreography.

Forget this viewer from here on. After the three judges pandered to the street movement on August 31, it's a mockery.
  • Only black in wardrobe..

How about some color, black and gray, black background . We loose the dancers in lights and black. The dullest show I ever world has enough sadness, color it up a least one show.
  • Love this show to pieces

I think 4 contestants should win this year. In no particular 4 of these are phenomenal: Jaja, Jim, Virgil, Gabby
  • Getting Harder To Enjoy

3.5
    This has always been one of my favorite shows to watch because of the great dance quality and creative choreography. But I am simply not enjoying it as much because it is so hard to actually see the dancing. While the lighting might look good sitting in the audience, it is horrible while viewing it on tv. There is so much glare from the lighting that it is actually hard to see the dancing. The photography of the show is just terrible. The camera is constantly moving so that you can't really see the dance. There is such great dancing but with the camera constantly in motion I feel like I miss half or more of the actual dance. Am just not enjoying it like I used to because it takes so much effort to see beyond the lighting and photography issues. Loved it when I could actually see the dancing.
  • The street suck this year

I've been a fan of the show since it started but the street versus stage I don't really care for because the street side of it has been really watered-down. I'm never seen hip-hop that is so nice the way it is being dance on the show and It needs more grit and more substance to it ....... They really need to step up their game in the hip-hop department
  • Are people born with dance technique?

I hated watching the judges berate the street dancers for their lack of technical skills. Duh! Everyone is very aware that some privileged kids had years of dance instruction and others didn't, but to expect the street dancers to show technique they've never been given the opportunity to develop was nothing short of cruel.
  • fan of dance & fast forward

I LOVE THIS SHOW! I think it is a fantastic, essential venue for dance, I have watched every season, and have also followed the amazing careers of our beloved all stars! The new format (imo) is not dreadful & most of the choreo is awesome, that said:

I miss Mary.

I could not watch this show without the ability to skip Paula completely, she is STILL such an incoherent mess, regardless of dance as her forte. Jason may be slightly more articulate, but I rarely agree with him about the numbers, he comes across as an arrogant jerk. I still love Nigel and Kat, but all the fun rapport is gone, or fake &that is worse. I hate to cringe & it is pretty constant this season. I feel N &Ks proximity embarrassment and that is never good.

PLEASE BRING BACK GUEST JUDGES & LOSE PAULA. AND FOR THE LOVE OF MIGHT, A NEW THEME SONG IS LONNNNGGGG OVERDUE!
  • So You Think You Can Judge?

1.5
    What were you thinking? Street can't stage. And stage can't street. No wonder the judges are disappointed. I am. The judges comments are tedious, repetitive and boring. Ask the dancers for chemistry? The judges have none. Bring back dancing. Or I won't be back!
  • Terrible judging. this show is being ruined.

I have watched all but 2 seasons of this show and was so looking forward to seeing it again this year but what have they done? They are totally ruining this show if they haven't already done so. The judging is terrible, especially since they only have these 3 judges week after week. Maybe they couldn't get any guest judges because the show has become so unfun. Especially Jason Derulio. He is rude and obnoxious. He doesn't seem to know what he is talking about. I'm afraid Paula is my favorite and That is saying NOTHING.

They all are just mean way too often. Again, Paula at least has some sensitivity..

They have a bunch of great dancers, and choreographers, it's not their fault.

Perhaps the worst is the way they reveal the bottom vote getting dancers. It's cruel! and not fun for the audience, wait til the end for Godsakes!

I used to LOVE this show, still love the dancing but mostly the show just pisses me off every week.
  • What happened

This show used to be my favorite. But it just sucks this season. Really dislike only these three judges, no variety. I only watch the show when recorded so I can just fast forward everything that isn't about the dancers. I am so sad about this season and I think it's interesting that the boy girl ratio stays intact, this whole season seems rigged.

• hate the chgs this year

4.5
    Bad judges, poor idea of stadge vs thisvthe first season thst I was Bored! Have been a watcher since season is w

The Worst bring back the old format
  • Fire everyone. Rethink the show

Cat is so insipid and needless, dragging the show out with nothing valuable. Paula is ***ed, is she on this planet? Jason is clueless and way over his head. Don't bring back Mary either.

Someone watch AGT to understand how to edit and pull audience in. The street vs stage concept was a very poor idea if you are attempting to use choreography to judge how people do - funny isn't that necessary for professional dancers? The street routines suck, boring gymnastics that reveal no talent for dance, just conditioning.
  • Tastee Oreo choreography predictable and boring, let the audience judge choreography

My wife and I have been watching SYTYCD since the first season. We find "contemporary" choreography (as opposed to modern dance, for example) to be maudlin in it's themes, sappy in the choice of music and melodramatic. The gestures are hackneyed and predictable. This applied to Mia Michaels and in spades now to Tastee Oreo, and the unfortunate dancers who get stuck with these seem to always end up at the bottom. We generally watch a bit and then skip these dances and associated commercials. Let the audience vote on choreography!
  • Jason mimics what other judges say

jason shouldn't be a judge, he has no original opinions, just repeats what he hears the other judges say. FIRE HIM NOW BEFORE ALL YOUR VIEWERS JUMP SHIP! Used to be my favorite show, now it is painful to watch!
  • Boring and Boring

First of back Mary and bring back the different styles of dance. How much contemporary and Hip Hop can you watch? Sorry, if this is the way it's going to stay I won't be watching it next season and neither will most people I know!
  • chicken poop

what has this show done. the filming, cinema photography what ever it is sucks. It looks like its all recorded it just sucks i may quit watching it!
  • So disappointed this season

Please go back to the way it used to be - I don't like this stage vs street at all. I liked it when you saw the ballroom and all the other dances...

PLEASE bring back Mary & get rid of Paula! I am sad to say that now, unlike it used to be, I tape this show and fast forward through most of it. Even Cat, who I really like, has changed her appearance - she used to look so cute and now its so, well I don't dances are just ok. And, too much time is seen on the "practicing for the actual dance/behind the of time - I do like the part where they explain what the dance means just leave it at back to the way it used to be, or I'm afraid I just won't watch anymore.

Most of my punctuation has been removed from my post and words also - get it
  • Lifeless

Paula-work on your diction

Jason-go back to singing, quit judging (also, you make me sleepy)

Nigel-what happened to the chemistry that made the show?

Choreographers-routines are uninspiring and boring. Do not highlight the dancers at all.

New format-SUCKS

Mary Murphy and ballroom-I loved hating you and miss you

I'm giving up on this season. Will try again next year.
  • VERY DISAPPOINTED!

4.5
    I have been watching since the very first show and can't believe you changed the format! In years past I enjoyed the "street" dancing, but it wasn't the style of dance in every opening number as it is now. The show has so much more nonsense, such as the routines in both street and stage, 3 or more dancers dancing at the same time, most numbers that are performed are either contemporary or street. I like both, but the ballroom dances are missing. Maybe I'm just older than the crowd that watches he show now, but I won't watch next season if it is the same. It isn't exciting and it lost the romance that ballroom, salsa, disco, waltz, tango, etc, and two dancers; a woman and a man gives to the dance. I also do not like the chemistry between the judge. Sorry, but I don't care for Jason and Paula isn't that great. It was my favorite show and I really liked the old format. I liked it when the contestants drew the dance and I liked it that sometimes they danced with a previous star. You fill up the show with the contestants running off stage to be with their coaches (another concept I don't like), talking about whether stage vs street wins for the week. I have always liked the segment about getting to know the contestants but the rest is a lot of fluff and not enough dancing. Please bring Mary back and also a guest judge each week.
  • Dance format sucks

My wife and I have been watching dance for years. We couldn't wait for the night dance was on. This year with the new format it is not exciting at all. The dances are terrible. We have purchased tickets for the tour every year but will not this year. We hope they go back to the old format or come up with something new and better next year. We are sad to say this will be our last season to watch, unless of course they go back to the previous format or something better then the one they have this year. Paula is a lousy judge. We can't even stand to hear her talk. We wish Mary was still there. She was the best judge you ever had on the show along with Nigel
  • The choreographers SUCK

Oh dear lord, what is going on? We have so many good dancers this year, but the choreography is just horrible! Every dance last night was BAD. These poor people are doing what is asked of them and getting put down because what they are asked to do SUCKS! Why is there ALWAYS praise for the choreographers (especially that wack job, Sonja)? And their music bunch of stinkers last night (well, almost always, but last just terrible). I say new format, let the dancers choreograph themselves or supply their own.
  • "Don't Mess With Perfection "

SYTYCD had the perfect formula for the most addictive and entertaining show on TV. I was their biggest fan and totally addicted. Everyone in my family knows if it's on, it's my priority. I have loyally watched every season, I only dropped out of 1 season, when they started doing Guy on guy. I'm sorry, but that's a big Turn Off for a red blooded female. However, I returned and became even more attached to the show until, street vs stage. This is a total and complete disaster in every way! These dancers do not emote like previous dancers and the routines do not do them justice. The choreography and dancing seem superficial , choppy and disconnected. I have not seen one real attraction or connection between dance partners yet. Don't get me started on the lack of testosterone. Well the girls are the ones with the balls this season, they really overpower the feminine males. The contrast and balance of the male / female couple dancing of past seasons was a winning formula for many reasons. When you take that away, you cancel out: romance, intense chemistry, electric energy, combative conflict, the heat, the beauty of the contrasting masculinity that compliments the opposite feminine and all of the drama created as a result. This show brought back old school Romance. I think couples today really needed that reminder to live and love in the moment intensely. Also to release those inner emotions and really connect on a powerful level. Yes its unbelievable that a TV show can teach all that. That's why I am sad to say this will be my last season to watch, unless of course they go back to the previous format. I doubt I will finish this season, it is just too painful to watch. Even the lighting, the stage, the costumes, the movement of the camera are so amature and awful.

I disagree with whoever said people are turning on street. I grew up in the 80s, therefore I am a diehard street fan and everything r&b, hip hop, break dance etc. Thats what was so great about the show is now I am also a lover of ballroom ,contemporary, Broadway, etc. however I don't put one above the other or pit them against each other. The whole concept is very flawed, but the execution is an even bigger failure. Changing a perfect formula was a huge mistake. I don't usually write reviews, especially complaints, but I just had to because I am missing my favorite show so much!

• Flat Footed

This season there was a huge change in the format for So You Think You Can Dance, which has left it lying flat. This year's dancers were great, but the format-Street VS Stage-goave the choreographers nearly nothing to work with and has not helped the dancers improve or excel in their genre.

Now we are in the process of selecting the top ten and they are no where near the quality of dance and choreography of recent seasons.
  • Hate new format

I really miss sytycd - I know people who have just quit watching - need more variety instead of only hiphop or contemporary. Bring back some ballroom dancing. Saw only one tango this year and it was terrible - merely posing.

Nigel is the only true judge. Why street vs. stage - just get the best dancers and give them a variety of dances regardless.
  • Is this really what you want?

Please go back to the old format. If you are looking at attracting the younger crowd and want to lose the mature crowd, maybe this is working.

I miss Mary sooooooo much.

Too much street and silly competition between Street and Stage. I miss the overall review when someone is eliminated.

I feel the heart of your show is gone.
  • Not a good change

We DO NOT like the new version of our favorite show. It seems so stuck in a sloppy hip hop street vibe. We miss ballroom. We miss the couples. We miss Mary. Many of the routines just lack elegance. And we are growing VERY tired of Street dancing. It's OK in smaller doses but dance is so much more than that.

Not to be mean but get rid of Paula and Jason. Neither one offers any authority. We fast forward through Paula because we can't stand her mindless comments.

Please please go back to the old format.
  • What happened to my favorite show????

I'm so glad I'm not the only one that HATES this new format. I thought I was going crazy. I tried to be patient and give it benefit of doubt but I'm beyond disappointed by the changes in the show.

I remember watching that very first episode 10yrs ago and being so blown away. I look forward to this all year round and am so upset that my fave show has been ruined.

I think the Street/Stage concept is pretty cool. Having them dance a separate routine is great. And then we could vote on fave routine from each. But that's it. The show has always been a mixed bag of dancers. And street performers have done phenomenally well on the show. There was no need to dumb it down for them.

Is it because Jason (and I use that term loosely) street dance so they are pandering to him?????? It's like we lost Mary Murphy so we had to lose ballroom. Unacceptable.

And why on earth are these kids dancing in groups of 3s and 4s for the competition?

First off, none of the dancers are being showcased that way. (Especially with the horrendous camera men the show has. Seriously, in 10 years how do they not have people that can capture the whole dance for the home audience??)

These random groups make no sense and show little chemistry between the dancers. Or the dancers and their routines. I used to cry every week being moved by some performance or the sheer talent and passion this year I've been bored and frustrated waiting for magic that seems to only come once and a awhile now.

The choreographers and dancers are way too talented to be wasted like this.

Also, what happened to the get to know the dancers segment?

And yes the judges are awful. I miss Mary and Nigel dynamic. They need the guest judges like Anna Kendrick, Christina Applegate etc back asap.

I'd really hate to lose this show but I can't imagine it being around next year street this disastrous format change.

Here's hoping it gets better because as of now, I don't even want to finish the season.