Soap Forums

ABC (ended 1981)

edited DVDs

bfoo7

[1]Jun 13, 2008
    • level: 3
    I've read a lot of comments on other boards that the DVDs are edited, and that the old Columbia House tapes are uncut. Can anyone tell me -- is every episode cut, or only selected ones? And has anyone compiled a complete episode-by-episode list of the missing scenes?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

mdstudio

[2]Aug 2, 2008
    • level: 5

I don't own the DVDs but I believe there are a couple of syndicated episodes in the season one set. There are also a couple of small instances where there's been some music editing. For example, at the start of one scene, Jodie's singing "Nothing like a Dame" from South Pacific. That's clipped out. Nothing substantial.

I own the Columbia House videos and they are complete except for, I think, one episode which is the syndicated version.

If I had to make a choice today, I'd just buy the Complete series DVD set. The transfer is pretty nice and for the most part you'll see a lot more material than you see in syndication.

The series went to an hour format at the end of the last season and a couple scenes are lost when they were split into half hour episodes for syndication. One is the last time that Mary and Jessica are together.

Hope that helps!

SinSityCapo

[3]Aug 26, 2008
    • level: 1

I've had the entire DVD series for quite some time now and I don't believe that there is anything missing. Another poster mentioned something about a scene regarding Jody singing a particular song. If that's the case, then I'd say that's most likely the only editing done.

mdstudio

[4]Aug 27, 2008
    • level: 5

I don't know if anyone is still looking for this information but I've since found out that several episodes on the DVD sets have been edited -- some for music, some are syndicated versions and others are missing the introductions ("On last week's episode of Soap...").

You can find pretty detailed information if you look through the Soap DVD reviews on Amazon. If you don't mind the edits, the DVDs are a great deal. If you want the complete copies, the Columbia House tapes are the closest thing out there.

By the way, an easy way to tell if you have the syndicated version of an episode is if the announcer says "On the last episode of Soap..." During the original run, I believe almost all of the introductions said "On last week's episode of Soap." I think they were all rerecorded for syndication. The full versions should run about 24-25 minutes each.