Soap Forums

ABC (ended 1981)

Favorite Character

ladybritcomfan

[21]Jun 26, 2006
    • level: 36
    loverob wrote:
    I agree Eunice was a daddy's girl, and Soap went downhill soon after Corinne left.
    It went downhill in the last season. Burt let his sheriff position go to his head and he became an a$$hole, Jessica wasn't a ditz anymore, Jody went from being gay to sleeping with women and turning into an old Jewish man, and Mary turned into an alcoholic. No wonder the show was cancelled.
    Edited on 06/26/2006 7:10am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sgtpepper1985

[22]Jun 26, 2006
    • level: 14

ladybritcomfan wrote:
    loverob wrote:
    I agree Eunice was a daddy's girl, and Soap went downhill soon after Corinne left.
    It went downhill in the last season. Burt let his sheriff position go to his head and he became an a$$hole, Jessica wasn't a ditz anymore, Jody went from being gay to sleeping with women and turning into an old Jewish man, and Mary turned into an alcoholic. No wonder the show was cancelled.

Mary as an alcoholic was interesting, but the whole Jodie and Burt situation sucked!

loverob

[23]Jun 26, 2006

sgtpepper1985 wrote:

Mary as an alcoholic was interesting, but the whole Jodie and Burt situation sucked!

My sentiments exactly.

ladybritcomfan

[24]Jun 27, 2006
    loverob wrote:

sgtpepper1985 wrote:

My sentiments exactly.

Actually, she did quit drinking, but Burt thought she was drunk because she had a shoe with a loose heal on it. Of course, by then, he was sooooo wrapped up in himself that he didn't notice that she had quit and all he was worried about was how she was an embarrassment to him in front of the Mayor or whoever their dinner guest was.

I used to love Burt. He was my favorite character. But by the end of the series, I couldn't stand him.

Edited on 06/27/2006 1:12pm

sgtpepper1985

[25]Jun 28, 2006
    Mary had to have been drunk because she was clutching a flowerpot or something before  she ran out on him. 

ladybritcomfan

[26]Jul 3, 2006
    sgtpepper1985 wrote:
    I would have to say that my favorite Character is Jessica Tate. I wish my mom was more like her.

It's hard to pin down, but I would have to say Burt. He was soooo crazy and funny and at the time, I had a huge crush on him. But like I said in another post on this forum, by the last season I hated him because his character had changed so much that he wasn't even loveable or even likeable anymore.

loverob

[27]Jul 5, 2006
    Danny Dallas, when I first saw Soap I had a crush on this guy big time. I felt for him him when he was forced to marry Elaine & enjoyed his and Burt's attempts to tame her. His scenes cradling a dying Elaine were touching for a comedy. He was hilairiously paranoid when dating Polly, as he thought everyone they came into contact with were potential racists. I didn't care for his liasions with step mom Annie though.
    Edited on 07/05/2006 4:08pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ladybritcomfan

[28]Jul 5, 2006
    loverob wrote:
    Danny Dallas, when I first saw Soap I had a crush on this guy big time. I felt for him him when he was forced to marry Elaine & enjoyed his and Burt's attempts to tame her. His scenes cradling a dying Elaine were touching for a comedy. He was hilairiously paranoid when dating Polly, as he thought everyone they came into contact with were potential racists. I didn't care for his liasions with step mom Annie though.

I agree that the Danny/Elaine storyline was good. It was heartbreaking when she explained to Danny why she acted the way she did and even more heartbreaking that she died after she finally found true love. To this day I still cry when I see the scene where she dies.

sgtpepper1985

[29]Jul 7, 2006

ladybritcomfan wrote:
    loverob wrote:
    Danny Dallas, when I first saw Soap I had a crush on this guy big time. I felt for him him when he was forced to marry Elaine & enjoyed his and Burt's attempts to tame her. His scenes cradling a dying Elaine were touching for a comedy. He was hilairiously paranoid when dating Polly, as he thought everyone they came into contact with were potential racists. I didn't care for his liasions with step mom Annie though.

I agree that the Danny/Elaine storyline was good. It was heartbreaking when she explained to Danny why she acted the way she did and even more heartbreaking that she died after she finally found true love. To this day I still cry when I see the scene where she dies.

Me too! I really hated it when they killed her off! I really did find it interesting that Annie and Danny had an affair because it reminded me of Oedipus. That was Freud's Oedipus Complex theory in action!

MarkKellerman

[30]Oct 7, 2007
    • level: 4
    The comedy team of Chuck & Bob win by an eyelash over Danny & Burt, followed by Jessica & Benson. Honorable mention to recurring guest star 'Maloo'. Of course, on any given day I could vote for the Major, Chester, the 'Peace Of Shilleef' or any number of characters: the show and it's cast were just so brilliant. No other show has ever had a cast of such high quality dramatic actors who were such high quality comedic actors as well. Arrested Development and MASH may come close. I simply love SOAP, and I probably smile the most when I think of Chuck & Bob, so they get the nod here for me.

ISecretSpy

[32]Oct 20, 2007
    I gotta go with 'The Piece of Chalief'

annie888

[33]Nov 1, 2007
    • level: 9
    Jodie was my favorite.

karen365uk

[34]Nov 6, 2007
    • level: 12
    Burt and Corrine are my favourites. I've only seen the fourth series once, a few years ago on the Paramount channel, I got the other three series on dvd but the fourth didnt really appeal

charmedrokks

[35]Jul 10, 2012
    • level: 1

Burt was hilarious with his spazzy actions, being crazy, and his facial expressions \!

charmedrokks

[36]Jul 23, 2012
    • level: 1

I think that whenever danny and burt got together in their missions was hysterical and overall my favorite is Burt!