Soap Forums

ABC (ended 1981)

The "Lost" Episodes

radrobd

[1]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 56

There were 4 "lost" episodes that weren't included in the syndication package or on the DVD sets.  These four episodes were basically "clip" shows that didn't really advance the plotline but just recapped the storylines for viewers.  However, there were some news scenes included in those special episodes that I and other die-hard fans would love to see again.

The first "lost" episode occurred mid-way through Soap's first season after Peter Campbell (Robert Urich) was murdered.  In this one-hour special, Jessica (Katherine Helmond) and Benson (Robert Guillaume) recapped all the murder suspects among the Tate and Campbell families using clips from the first 13 episodes.

The second "lost" episode occurred 2 weeks prior to the 2nd season premiere.  In this special episode, Jessica, who had just been wrongfully convicted of Peter's murder was visited in jail by her brother-in-law, Burt (Peter's father), who believed in her innocence, and once again, using clips, they discussed the possible suspects among the Tate and Campbell clans, as well as reviewing the first season's events.  This special episode was 90 minutes.

The third "lost" episode occurred 2 weeks prior to the 3rd season premiere and recapped the previous 2 seasons by having Jessica and Benson discuss past events.  This special episode also set up Benson's departure from the series as it mentioned for the first time that Benson was going to leave his employment at the Tates to go help out Jessica's cousin, Governor Gatling.

The fourth "lost" episode occurred 2 weeks prior to the 4th season premiere.  In the 3rd season-ending cliffhanger, Jessica had died, and in this special episode, she actually went to Heaven and met an angel, played by Bea Arthur.  Jessica, then explained that she needed to go back to Earth because her family was in trouble, and tried to persuade Bea Arthur to send her back, thus, setting up flashbacks from the previous season.  A scene from this special episode is actually shown at the beginning of the 4th season premiere when the announcer asks "What do the Fates have in store for Jessica?" and Jessica is seen in Heaven sitting down on the steps.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

FoxMulder_GMAN

[2]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 21
    there is allready a thread on this subject titled SOAP SPECIALS

benchervin

[3]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 9
    I downloaded all 4 seasons of Soap, and I got a total of 90 episodes, none of which were clip shows, so IDK what extra episodes I got.

Wiseguy70005

[4]Jul 5, 2010
    • level: 15

benchervin wrote:
    I downloaded all 4 seasons of Soap, and I got a total of 90 episodes, none of which were clip shows, so IDK what extra episodes I got.

There were 93 half-hour episodes of SOAP(not counting the 4 retrospective specials). Many sites only state 85 episodes because there were 8 hour-long broadcasts on ABC (second- and fourth-season premieres, third-season finale and theepisodes shown in March-April 1981).An hour-long broadcast consists of two episodes. If you have 90episodes, you'reprobably counting the first three hour broadcasts as one episode. Also first- and third-season retrospectives had been released years ago on VHS.