Soap Forums

ABC (ended 1981)

Were you too young to appreciate "Soap" the first time round?

loverob

[1]Mar 26, 2006
    • level: 14
    I know I was. Living in the UK certain colloquialisms & sexual referrences went above my little head, as did Sally's comment to Mary about the "Atkins diet".
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sgtpepper1985

[2]Mar 30, 2006
    • level: 14
    I was born about three or four years after it went off the air and when I saw it on T.V.Land, I fell in-love with it!

FoxMulder_GMAN

[3]Apr 2, 2006
    • level: 21
    I was a kid when it premiered, and caught it in first run syndication. That's when I got hooked on it.

Smarty-Pants

[4]Apr 24, 2006
    • level: 6
    I was 23 when it premiered so I was able to really appreciate it. No sitcom in my 51+ years has made me laugh as consistantly and as hard.

Carolee99

[5]Apr 24, 2006
    • level: 50
    I was born in 1981. I didn't catch the show until I was in college where I had cable and watched a mini marathon on TVLand about it's anniversary.

1crazyfan

[6]Jun 10, 2006
    • level: 1
    I was in my mid-teens when it was originally on, and was hooked from the first show. I have purchased all the dvd's that have been released, and I now have my son addicted to the show as well. This is a comedy that was way ahead of it's time, and I feel sorry for those who have never taken the time to watch it.

Paradigne

[7]Jun 20, 2006
    • level: 2
    I was in my teens when it first came out. I loved every minute of it.

radrobd

[8]Jun 22, 2006
    • level: 54
    I was in grade school when Soap came out.  My father wouldn't let me watch it because, at the time, it was considered too controversial.  In fact, ABC used to run disclaimers before the show advising that it contained adult content for the first several months.  It wasn't until several years after the show was cancelled when it was in syndication that I got hooked.

malkmaven1107

[9]Apr 26, 2007
    • level: 3

When Soap first aired I was only a toddler but later on when it was in syndication it was one of the shows i was hooked on.

I've got the first season on DVD and looking back at how much things have changed, most of the mature subject matter from back then is pretty much commonplace right now.

But it doesn't mean that the show isn't funny now, it's still making me laugh even though it's close to 30 years old now

karen365uk

[10]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 12
    I wasnt born when it first aired, but I saw it on the Paramount channel a few years ago and loved it, I got the DVD's on import when they stopped showing it

ladybritcomfan

[11]May 5, 2007
    • level: 36
    I was 13 when the show aired on primetime. I loved the first two seasons and possibly the third, but by the time the show went off the air, it had changed so much that it wasn't as funny as when it first started.

Junest

[12]Jun 16, 2007
    • level: 10
    i'm currently 17, & i just saw the 1st 10 episodes within the past 2 days. i'm still working on the 1st season set i got from the library, and plan to rent all the seasons. so being that i was negative years old, i was too young to even see it when it was first on tv. but as a 17 year old in 2007, i can appreciate it now.

cuddles3

[13]Jul 7, 2007
    • level: 5

I was not too young to appreciate the adult humor/references. Man, I loved this show! Sometimes I remember shows like Soap, & say to myself - where did all the good TV shows go? I feel old now, LOL!!

Cuddles

MarkKellerman

[14]Oct 17, 2007
    • level: 4
    At the beginning of it's run, SOAP was very risque for it's time. (Believe it or not so was 'Three's Company') Groundbreaking television in many ways. I watched it the first time around and haven't stopped laughing since. Just brilliant.

In the spirit of laughter I suggest to you another show to watch that didn't get it's proper due when it aired, or since, but was very funny all the same, 'Arrested Development'. Like SOAP, it was a show that was cast absolutely perfectly, from the most featured character, to every guest star to every last recurring role. It's on in re-runs on G4. If you do go ahead and watch a few episodes, please tell me what you think. If you've already seen the show please join in. Do you see similarities between the two shows at all? Just wondering. Thank you.

TejanaNC

[15]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 7
    My parents wouldn't let me watch it, either ... but that didn't stop me! I used to sneak into the living room and catch it whenever I could, just to see what the fuss was all about. I definitely watched here and there from the very first season, but now that my husband and I have all four on DVD -- he grew up in Central America and never saw it before I introduced him -- I can see that it wasn't until around season 3 that I (a) started seeing enough episodes to follow the stories and (b) started actually understanding the plots.

sqeakycat

[16]Mar 15, 2009
    I was only 4 when it started but I think I used to watch some episodes. I thought it was funny, but I didn't understand it. . .obviously. I think I watched reruns as a teenager and kinda like it and when TVLand had it's marathon, I was hooked! I stayed up all night watching Soap cuz I just HAD to see what would happen next! When I saw the DVDs I grabbed them. . well, i still need season 4, but I started to lose some interest after Benson left
    Edited on 03/15/2009 9:47pm

painkiller2007

[17]Apr 25, 2009
    I REALLY loved this show when it first came on, trouble is, it was one the shows on the list i wasn't allowed to watch...Mom and Dad, ya know...A few months ago i bought the full show DVD on Ebay and i STILL love it! OMG! When that baby was possessed by Satan...HILARIOUS!..

ladybritcomfan

[18]May 10, 2009
    • level: 36
    painkiller2007 wrote:
    I REALLY loved this show when it first came on, trouble is, it was one the shows on the list i wasn't allowed to watch...Mom and Dad, ya know...A few months ago i bought the full show DVD on Ebay and i STILL love it! OMG! When that baby was possessed by Satan...HILARIOUS!..

Yeah, The Prince Of Rudeness, as Jessica called him. lol

cetayl0r

[19]Jul 24, 2009
    • level: 4
    When it was out for the first time on ABC I only watched it occasionally. I recently watched the entire series on DVD. Once I started I could not stop. I knew the ending would be unfinished but it still kept me wanting more. Does anyone know if there are any books about the series and possible endings?