Sonic the Hedgehog Forums

ABC (ended 1994)

Sonic and Sally or Sonic and Amy poll

Who makes a better couple

MarthaFan2

[1]Jun 27, 2009
    • level: 11

I personally think sonic and sally because they've shown a really great relationship and actually kissed. (+ Sally is nude)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pferreira86

[2]Jun 29, 2009
    • level: 17
    The thing you've got to understand is that Amy and Sonic weren't a possible item, Amy just had a crush on Sonic. Now Sally and Sonic works much better.

WWinnieF

[3]Jul 8, 2009
    • level: 20

1. This is the "SatAM" board, where--in the show and the subsequent comics that run to this day--SonSal is canon, as shown below.

2. In the universe where both girls exist--Archie's Sonic comics, that is--Amy is a 12 year old with an 8 year old mindframe, whereas Sonic has technically reached his 18 birthday as a character (officially), but remains the same age as Sally...16 and up. As well, in that universe, Sonic only sees Amy as a mere friend with a childlike crush and nothing more, whereas he's longed for Sally ever since their #134 breakup and vice-versa (i.e. Sally felt the same). It is interesting to also note that even though she loves Sonic, Sally does acknowledge Amy's crush and even tried helping her with it when she wrote her "Dear Ally" column in the Mobian press whilst being held captive by her family within the kingdom's walls. And even before Amy made her crush public, Sally also helped another possible love interest for Sonic in Mina Mongoose understand Sonic inside and out, from his self-assured exterior to his deeply-hidden sensitive side, as seen via the below scan.

3. Sally was inspired by Ricky (the squirrel in the first Sonic game, directed towards Americans, as it reached America via The Master System, years before The Mega Drive became The Sega Genesis) and was conceptualized by SEGA of America & both Britain (Fleetway's Sonic The Comic) and the United States (Sonic "SatAM" & Archie's Sonic comics) by 1992, because the cartoon plot that was to become Sonic "SatAM"--which was created by DiC with approval by SEGA of America, as the American branch of Sonic's creative staff created its own one-peice comic mere months before Archie utilized the idea, using concepts from the said cartoon--spawned the 1992 release of Fleetway's Sonic The Comic in Britain and the early 1993 release of Archie's Sonic comic in America, mere days before "SatAM" itself hit TV airwaves. And all of this--plus Sally's cameo in Sonic Spinball (made by the Japanese and American team behind Sonic 2) and and the SonSal-promoting Sonic LIVE stage show in Sydney's SegaWorld theme park--predated Amy being bought by SEGA of Japan in 1993 from manga company, Shogakuken (the same manga company behind the Pokemon manga). Thus, in both creation and as a love interest, Sally came before Amy in Sonic's life.

Finally, as much as people rag on Sally and Amy, Sonic himself has more problems, since he's paired with every female he's come in contact with, practically, as presented below.

Edited on 07/08/2009 8:56pm
    Edited 6 total times.

pferreira86

[4]Jul 26, 2009
    Great info! However, didn't Sonic The Comic come out in 1993 as well?

WWinnieF

[5]Aug 1, 2009
    pferreira86 wrote:
    Actually, it started in 1991 when the concepts for the cartoon that would become SatAM started flinging around in SEGA's boardroom and the issues started officially in 1992, but lasted into 1993 before Archie came into the scene and surpassed them. Really, the concepts for SatAM--and principally, the character of Sally & her relationship with Sonic--were being thrown around for a long time before anything was even done with the ideas being considered. In fact, this all predated Amy by about almost two years (since it was mid-1993 when Amy was bought by SEGA and by that time, SatAM was already on-screen, Archie Comics had been around for months before SatAM aired, and the conceptualized ideas for all this had persisted for a year within boardrooms before any official products were made).

pferreira86

[6]Aug 13, 2009
    WWinnieF wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    Actually, it started in 1991 when the concepts for the cartoon that would become SatAM started flinging around in SEGA's boardroom and the issues started officially in 1992, but lasted into 1993 before Archie came into the scene and surpassed them. Really, the concepts for SatAM--and principally, the character of Sally & her relationship with Sonic--were being thrown around for a long time before anything was even done with the ideas being considered. In fact, this all predated Amy by about almost two years (since it was mid-1993 when Amy was bought by SEGA and by that time, SatAM was already on-screen, Archie Comics had been around for months before SatAM aired, and the conceptualized ideas for all this had persisted for a year within boardrooms before any official products were made).
    Do you think you could answer I question that I originally asked many months ago on the Adventures of Sonic forum. Were Scratch and Grounder (who appeared many times in the Archie comic) created first for Adventures or the video game Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine? No one on the other forum could answer the question.

WWinnieF

[7]Aug 15, 2009
    I do believe that Mean Bean Machine was one of the later games made for the Genesis and so, the concepts for Scratch and Grounder existed for their use in AoStH and the comics before that game was conceived.

pferreira86

[8]Aug 20, 2009
    Thank you!!! Finally someone gave me an answer.
    Edited on 08/20/2009 5:59am

WWinnieF

[9]Aug 23, 2009
    pferreira86 wrote:
    No problem.

pferreira86

[10]Aug 27, 2009
    WWinnieF wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    No problem.
    It's a question that always bugged me as both the cartoon series and game came out in 1993. Thanks again!
    Edited on 08/27/2009 5:47am

WWinnieF

[11]Sep 12, 2009
    pferreira86 wrote:
    WWinnieF wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    No problem.
    It's a question that always bugged me as both the cartoon series and game came out in 1993. Thanks again!
    Again, don't mention it. I like helping others.

SR71halo

[12]Oct 24, 2009
    • level: 5
    Sonic and Sally seemed more like an actualy pair, Amy just seems like an obsessed fangirl.

WWinnieF

[13]Nov 12, 2009
    SR71halo wrote:
    Sonic and Sally seemed more like an actualy pair, Amy just seems like an obsessed fangirl.
    In the context of the American canon, I'd agree.

Midnight-Moon

[14]May 18, 2010
    • level: 2

SOOOOOO Sonic and Sally. Amy's to annoying + Sonic always runs away from her witch is not a good sign for any relationship between them.

WWinnieF

[15]Sep 26, 2010

Midnight-Moon wrote:
    SOOOOOO Sonic and Sally. Amy's to annoying + Sonic always runs away from her witch is not a good sign for any relationship between them.
    Well, in the eyes of the Japanese, they accept a clingy relationship, with them saying Sonic runs because he's shy, but in the Western canon where we like mutual relationships in which each partner gives of himself or herself or itself, such an obsessive relationship like what Amy has with Sonic just doesn't work. This is especially so, since the comics--and the Western canon in general--actually make Sonic somewhat mature (ex: SatAM has him be 16, in "reality" he is now 21+ if we go by actual years, the comics that showcase character relations have shown three potentially likely futures in which he and Sally conceive children [and since both Ken Penders--the original head writer--and Ian Flynn--the current head writer--have kept these futures alive, they are the official futures of the comic once it finally does come to an end]), which in turn, would make Amy a minor (she's 12-15 physically, but mentally, she's still the 8 year old she started out as from Sonic CD) in comparison to Sonic practically being an adult. And given how we in the West largely frown on minors getting with adults (with very very few exceptions; for instance, Beetlejuice and Lydia from the Tim Burton franchise), Amy getting with Sonic just never would work in the Western scope of things.

Edited on 09/26/2010 6:19pm
    Edited 3 total times.

soniicfan

[16]Oct 8, 2010
    • level: 10
    sonic and sally make a better couple in the future in the sonic comic books they have children called manik and sonia

WWinnieF

[17]Dec 2, 2010
    soniicfan wrote:
    sonic and sally make a better couple in the future in the sonic comic books they have children called manik and sonia
    I know. I was referencing that. It is the "Mobius: [20-30] Years Later" storyline.