Sonic the Hedgehog Forums

ABC (ended 1994)

Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic X or Sonic Underground

  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [41]Nov 14, 2006
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897

    MetroidSlime wrote:
    DoctorEggman wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

    Sonic X is a digrace to Sonic! It is completely different from the games, and I don't really like Sonic's voice in Sonic X.
    Actually, Sonic X is alot more like the games  with some of it's storyline and it's elements. But I don't blame you for disliking Sonic's voice in that show.
    The fact that Sonic X is almost exactly like the games is what makes me hate that show. It's like seeing the same thing twice. SatAM's storyline was so unique that Sonic X can't even compare to it.

    Except that the SatAM story continued in the Americanized Archie-produced Sonic comics...

    And although Sonic X DID have some elements of the games in it (in terms of using the actual game characters), what turned me away was as follows...

    1. The dubbing: To be blunt, the new American voice for Sonic sucks.

    2. The human interaction: To my recollection, there were NO humans in ANY of the games, save Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik (formerly Jullian), so why include any other humans in the TV series?

    3. The location changes: I mean, since when did Sonic live on Earth? His home is the planet Mobius!

    4. The relationships between the Freedom Fighters: What is meant by this is that Sonic and Tails DON'T have that "brotherly" bond that they've shared in both the games & the previous TV series.

    As to Underground, the thing that tuned me away from it was the lack of continuity, because it was NOT based on either the games OR the comics, and the show was completely random to the point that the creator's decided to give Sonic a sibling, even though it was proven that Sonic was an only child.

    Next comes my rating for Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog....Although it was silly like the games, I feel that the characters should've had more depth to them than the portrayals dealt with simply to appease the "kiddie" demographic.

    In the end, I like SatAM the best out of the four shows, because though it was the one to have the least to do with the games, it had a well-thought out plot, keenly developed characters, and was the more "mature" out of the three series.

    Not to mention that Jael White (who I can forgive for playing Steve Urkel on Family Matters) played a "way past cool" Sonic to near-perfection and the "brotherly" bond between everyone's "main hedgehog" and Miles "Tails" Prower was simply adorable. It was sickenly cute (for the sensitive people), but yet, tolerable enough so anyone can see the relationship there between the two friends.

    Also, the show had a seriously amped-up and wicked awesome theme song: http://www.satamsonic.com/media/music/SatAM%20-%20Fastest%20Thing%20Alive.mp3.

    Edited on 12/18/2006 4:07pm
    Edited 4 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of talonmalon333

    talonmalon333

    [42]Nov 22, 2006
    • member since: 10/06/06
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 6,574
    MetroidSlime wrote:
    DoctorEggman wrote:
    talonmalon333 wrote:

    Sonic X is a digrace to Sonic! It is completely different from the games, and I don't really like Sonic's voice in Sonic X.


    Actually, Sonic X is alot more like the games with some of it's storyline and it's elements. But I don't blame you for disliking Sonic's voice in that show.
    The fact that Sonic X is almost exactly like the games is what makes me hate that show. It's like seeing the same thing twice. SatAM's storyline was so unique that Sonic X can't even compare to it.


    Now that I think about it, Sonic X is only similar to the new Sonic games, while the old Sonic shows had things from the old games. The thing is that the old Sonic games are so much better than the new ones (Sonic Adventure 2 BATTLE is an exception).




    I miss the old Sonic, with his old games and tv shows. Comparing his old games/tv shows to his new games/tv shows, I realize that Sonic will never be the same again.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [43]Nov 22, 2006
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897
    *nods* Same can be said of WB!--now CW--programming...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of talonmalon333

    talonmalon333

    [44]Nov 25, 2006
    • member since: 10/06/06
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 6,574
    wwfpooh wrote:
    *nods* Same can be said of WB!--now CW--programming...


    Wait, wwfpooh, what did you say?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MetroidSlime

    MetroidSlime

    [45]Nov 26, 2006
    • member since: 01/03/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 180
    The WB changed its name to the CW and is now airing (in my opinion) really horrible shows
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [46]Nov 27, 2006
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897

    MetroidSlime wrote:
    The WB changed its name to the CW and is now airing (in my opinion) really horrible shows
    Right.

    Example...Tom Ruegger's beloved Animaniacs! and Pinky & the Brain being ported over to Nickelodeon to have their intros butchered (Nick's logo all over everything, voices edited [the Warners' voices sounded like the Chipmunks], some verses rewritten horribly [i.e.; NO more "variable verse" gag], etc.).

    What's worse was that Pinky & the Brain (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GcsE4MQHhok) was being reformatted into that abomination called Pinky, Elmyra, & the Brain (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qy_-KBvO8Ek).

    Edited on 11/27/2006 4:54am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Jami393

    Jami393

    [47]Dec 13, 2006
    • member since: 08/19/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 391
    I like All of them
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [48]Dec 13, 2006
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897
    Jami393 wrote:
    I like All of them
    That's a twist. Usually fans, like they do for pairings, sway on either side. In fact, I am on the SatAM & SonSal side of the fence, to be rather blunt.
    Edited on 12/13/2006 10:56am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Jami393

    Jami393

    [49]Dec 15, 2006
    • member since: 08/19/06
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 391
    Hey knuckles_sonic8 you missed out a Sonic the Hedgehog Series and that is The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [50]Dec 15, 2006
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897
    Jami393 wrote:
    Hey knuckles_sonic8 you missed out a Sonic the Hedgehog Series and that is The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
    I believe the rest of us discussed it, and IMO, though it had more of the game's feel, it was too--"kiddie"--for me. That's why I liked SatAM, it was darker, followed a continuity (later to be in the Archie-produced Sonic comics), and had well-developed characters & storylines (not to mention a kick-ass theme song).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of talonmalon333

    talonmalon333

    [51]Dec 18, 2006
    • member since: 10/06/06
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 6,574
    talonmalon333 wrote:
    I have never seen Sonic Underground, so I will only compare Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic X. My opinion:

    SONIC THE HEDGEHOG BY SOOO FAR!

    Sonic X is a digrace to Sonic! It is completely different from the games, and I don't really like Sonic's voice in Sonic X.

    I also like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog alot. Though I have never seen Sonic Underground, I can bet that it's a whole lot better than Sonic X.


    Maybe I went a little far when I said that. I don't "hate" "Sonic X", but I do think that it could have been sooooo much better, and I don't like some of the new things (do I even need to say Chris?). Sonic the Hedgehog is still better in my opinion.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [52]Dec 18, 2006
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897

    Ditto, and I've noted several reasons earlier...

    wwfpooh wrote:
    And although Sonic X DID have some elements of the games in it (in terms of using the actual game characters), what turned me away was as follows...

    1. The dubbing: To be blunt, the new American voice for Sonic sucks.

    2. The human interaction: To my recollection, there were NO humans in ANY of the games (nor in the other TV series'), save Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik (formerly Jullian), so why include any other humans in the TV series?

    3. The location changes: I mean, since when did Sonic live on Earth? His home in every other continuity has been the planet Mobius!

    4. The relationships between the Freedom Fighters: What is meant by this is that Sonic and Tails DON'T have that "brotherly" bond that they've shared in both the games & the previous TV shows.

    As to Underground, the thing that tuned me away from it was the lack of continuity, because it was NOT based on either the games OR the comics, and the show was completely random to the point that the creator's decided to give Sonic a sibling, even though it was proven that Sonic was an only child.

    Next comes my rating for Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog....Although it was silly like the games, I feel that the characters should've had more depth to them than the portrayals dealt with simply to appease the "kiddie" demographic.

    In the end, I like SatAM the best out of the four shows, because though it was the one to have the least to do with the games, it had a well-thought out plot, keenly developed characters, and was the more "mature" out of the three series.

    Not to mention that Jael White (who I can forgive for playing Steve Urkel on Family Matters) played a "way past cool" Sonic to near-perfection and the "brotherly" bond between everyone's "main hedgehog" and Miles "Tails" Prower was simply adorable. It was sickenly cute (for the sensitive people), but yet, tolerable enough so anyone can see the relationship there between the two friends.

    Also, the show had a seriously amped-up and wicked awesome theme song: http://www.satamsonic.com/media/music/SatAM%20-%20Fastest%20Thing%20Alive.mp3.

    Edited on 12/18/2006 4:11pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SR71halo

    SR71halo

    [53]Jan 7, 2007
    • member since: 06/14/06
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 543
    I like SatAM for almost the same reasons that you guys gave.  It's plot was unique and dark.  I also liked it because of the Robotnik that DIC made.  He is by far the best Robotnik I have ever seen because he is dark and serious, unlike the newer games and especially Sonic X.  I like the idea of an evil or serious Robotnik better than a goofy one.  And if you still want some comic amusment, he has a lacky who holds all the comic relief (Snively).

    I'm also getting sick of the humans in the new Sonic games as well as Sonic X (and maybe even Archie), they have not created one human character that I like and should stop using human characters altogether (with the exception of Robotnik and, for SatAM's sake, Snively).

    I also hate it when Sonic fans constantly say that SatAM sucks because it is nothing like the games.  Actually, if you ask me, I like it better that it's nothing like the games, the games are good, but SatAM being similar to the games would be boring.  All you need is the fact that Sonic can run really fast and spindash, that's it.

    Lastly, the fact that everyone can keep up with Sonic also brings Sonic X down and makes SatAM so great.  What's the point of Sonic being a hero or the fastest thing alive if everyone can keep up with him?  At least in SatAM no one could even come close to Sonic's speed, not even Tails.  This complaint could also go towards the games I suppose.

    Bottom line is that I really think that Sonic X is overrated and SatAM was original and they should have given it a third season.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [54]Jan 7, 2007
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897
    SR71halo wrote:
    they should have given it a third season
    They would have, had the new ABC exec liked the show's pitch and would've put Power Rangers in another, less popular slot.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of katdawgTv

    katdawgTv

    [55]Jan 14, 2007
    • member since: 07/09/06
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 620

    i hate Sonic The Hedgehog 8.9

    I Liked Sonic Underground A Lot But its not on Cable (as far as i know)

    I liked Sonic X alot alot but its damn canceled

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [56]Jan 14, 2007
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897
    katdawgTv wrote:

    i hate Sonic The Hedgehog 8.9

    I Liked Sonic Underground A Lot But its not on Cable (as far as i know)

    I liked Sonic X alot alot but its damn canceled



    X was badly dubbed, the human interaction ruined the brotherly bond between Sonic & Tails (This is because the only human in any other continuity--from the games to the other TV series'--was Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik [and in SatAM/Archie canon, Robotnik's lackey, Snively]), in any other continuity Sonic despised Amy (Not to mention the fact that, at her initial appearance, Amy was still a little kid, and as such, pairing the two up--when one is a young adult & the other is a fanatically obessed fangirl--is disturbing), and the show had everyone keep up with Sonic (I mean, what is the point of being the "fastest thing alive" if everyone and their dog can keep up with you) & had Sonic himself living on Earth (In every other continuity, Sonic's home had been the Planet Mobius, specifically Knothole Village). These changes ruined the Sonic franchise, as evidenced by the horrible games now being pushed out (No game out currently has had that spark of magic that made Sonic a gaming icon).

    Underground had no continuity (as evidenced by the fact that the writers gave Sonic siblings when it was clearly noted that he was an only child, hence why only he could work the power rings), so 'nuf said.

    AoStH may have been the one series to be closest to the games (sans the lack of Amy, Knuckles, and Cream & Cheese) in how it was drawn (via the fast strokes and the ever changing scenery), but it was too "dumbed down" to be truly enjoyable, IMO. I mean, which Sonic would you prefer? One who is lovable and goofy (for the kiddies) or one who could be serious one minute to be kicking Robotnik's round backside & be sweet another minute to be trying to woo someone whom he falls for? As for me personally, I would obvious choose the second option, because that choice fleshes Sonic's character out beyond what the games themselves had already done.

    As such, the height of Sonic's popularity--IMO--was during the reign of SatAM on TV (It bore a kick ass theme song, well-developed character relations, well thought out storylines, and an overall feel that all ages could enjoy), Archie just starting its comic line (That is, before everything became all topsy-turvy and Sonic lost his sparkle), and the classic 2D games that made Sonic a household name selling out stores everywhere (I mean, who didn't want to play the classic first three Sonic games when they were young).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kametsou

    Kametsou

    [57]Jan 14, 2007
    • member since: 05/13/06
    • level: 31
    • rank: Blues Brother
    • posts: 677
    SatAM is the best.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [58]Jan 15, 2007
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897
    Kametsou wrote:
    SatAM is the best.
    Agreed.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of talonmalon333

    talonmalon333

    [59]Jan 15, 2007
    • member since: 10/06/06
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 6,574
    wwfpooh wrote:
    (I mean, who didn't want to play the classic first three Sonic games when they were young).


    Ahh, the old classics... and the best Sonic games, too (as well as "Sonic and Knuckles").
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wwfpooh

    wwfpooh

    [60]Jan 15, 2007
    • member since: 05/09/04
    • level: 20
    • rank: Cow Bell
    • posts: 52,897

    talonmalon333 wrote:
    wwfpooh wrote:
    (I mean, who didn't want to play the classic first three Sonic games when they were young).


    Ahh, the old classics... and the best Sonic games, too (as well as "Sonic and Knuckles").
    Sonic & Knuckles is the third original Sonic game, with Sonic 1 (Sonic The Hedgehog) & Sonic 2 (Sonic & Tails) as the first two.

    I am recollecting my childhood, including Animaniacs! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=UpzwZ47D8U4), SatAM (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lb_EQdce84E), Inspector Gadget (http://youtube.com/watch?v=5TFNNr-5uJY), The Disney Afternoon (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ku7PQadlR8), and so many others.

    Edited on 01/15/2007 2:53pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.