Sonic the Hedgehog Forums

ABC (ended 1994)

Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic X or Sonic Underground

talonmalon333

[61]Jan 15, 2007
    • level: 27
    wwfpooh wrote:
    Sonic & Knuckles is the third original Sonic game, with Sonic 1 (Sonic The Hedgehog) & Sonic 2 (Sonic & Tails) as the first two.

No it goes:

Sonic the Hedgehog

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Sonic and Knuckles
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

wwfpooh

[62]Jan 15, 2007
    • level: 20

That probably means I ought to play "Mega Collection" more.

But during the timespan of the earlier games, the rest of the cast were just minor characters that Sonic had to rescue (Amy, Cream, Cheese, etc.).

Once the games--made in Japan by parent company, SEGA--became huge American hits, producers saw interest in the little "blue streak that speeds by".

As such, SatAM was born, giving Sonic a more human edge (by giving him human qualities and friends [including that special princess in Sally Acorn, whom he--like Mario for Princess Peach Toadstool--had an affinity for] to go along with them, as well as giving his number one arch-foe a villainous makeover so he would seem more formidable [i.e. making Robotnik more sinister], along with "baldo's" lackey of a nephew in Snively & worry-wort Freedom Fighter Antoine--played by Rob Paulsen, best known for his voice work on Animaniacs! and its spin-off, Pinky & the Brain--as the comedic relief).

Then, take what SatAM gave fans and transport it to comic form & you would have the Archie comics that spun-off from SatAM (even after the end of the series).

Unfortunately, all they are nowadays are shells of their former selves, because they try to still keep the SatAM edge, but yet, introduce fans to the more modern--and far more crappy--Sonic (as seen in Sonic X, based on the more current & really sucktacular "Adventure"-esque games).

During the last year of SatAM, corporate censors were beginning to take over, trying to make everything more "wholesome" and "family-friendly" (like 4Kids, the "new" CW [the former WB! & UPN stations that it used to be were miles better, but WB! more-so than UPN], the current CN, Eisner-influenced Disney, etc.). Therefore, everything was toned down, from books to TV, and whatever else. You name it, and someone would come to censor it.

In Sonic's case, this came in the form of the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog TV series.

While it did have Sonic & Tails teaming up (remenisant of the already released Sonic the Hedgehog 2 video game that fleshed out Tails potential past his little kid demeanor of SatAM), it took the Sonic franchise back to its gaming roots.

Though usually figured as a good thing, this wasn't too bright, as this new show gave the franchise a more "kiddie" feel, what with demoting Robotnik back to his goofy Eggman counterpart (and saddling him with half-wit Badniks, Scratch & Grounder, to boot) & removing the depth that SatAM bestowed upon the beloved franchise.

As years went by, things only went from far to worse, this time in the form of the graciously short-lived Sonic Underground series.

Thankfully--depending on one's viewpoint--this series would bear no continuity (such as giving Sonic siblings when he was an only child & placing them in a sort of alternate reality from either the games or the Archie comics) and thus, would not register among hardcore fans as offical canon.

Years passed and things just kept going downhill for our favorite blue blur.

In 2003, Sonic was again taken back to his roots, but this time, he was completely retooled, due to the advent of SEGA dropping out of the video game competitory picture & giving its core characters--among them Sonic himself--appearances on former competition's consoles (PS2/PS3 by Sony, GameCube/Wii by Nintendo, and X-Box/360 for Microsoft).

As a result of this upheavel, Sonic's retooling not only changed the games (making the once minor characters co-stars alongside Sonic & Tails, introducing a "dark" version of Sonic via Shadow the Hedgehog, and making Eggman more crazy than ever before), but Sonic's TV spots as well, thus creating Sonic X, a show intended to make Sonic more "hip" for the next generation.

Unfortunately, that was SEGA's undoing, because once Sonic X (dubbed from Japan) hit the air on American soil--though the next generation ate it up--the previous generation that had grown up with Sonic as a cool-as-a-cucumber wise-cracking hero saw their hero dumbed down to an almost idiotic level, never mind the following inconsistances:

1. Sonic was now living on Earth instead of Planet Mobius (like in all other continuities, Underground aside).

2. Sonic was now amongest more humans--like new character, Chris--when (in other continuities), the only human to be previously known was Robotnik/Eggman himself.

3. Sonic lost his brotherly bond with his main bud, Tails; Tails was once again pushed to the side to make room for more modern characters & the addition of former rescuees [people that needed rescuing] Amy, Cream, & Cheese.

4. Speaking of Amy...She was de-aged (and the comics produced by Archie reflected this & still do, sadly enough), which now gave the obessed fan-hedgehog that adored Sonic an actual chance to catch the speedester's fancy (despite the fact that Sonic would find her more of a annoying pest more than anything & that he still harbored feelings for his lost SatAM love, Princess Sally [who--in the comics--would now find herself ruler of Mobius]).

5. Everyone could now keep up with Sonic. I mean, what is the point of being the "Fastest Thing Alive" (http://www.satamsonic.com/media/music/SatAM%20-%20Fastest%20Thing%20Alive.mp3) if everyone can keep up with you?

6. The humans that interacted with Sonic usually wanted to capture him, figuring the blue blur to be a threat. What kind of thinking is that when Sonic is one of a few who can be able to defeat Eggman & his cronies?

Edited on 02/09/2007 12:11pm
    Edited 7 total times.

robin_jordon

[63]Feb 7, 2008
    • level: 4

sonic underground definetly

soniicfan

[64]Feb 8, 2008
    • level: 10
    sonicx

wwfpooh

[65]Feb 9, 2008
    *shudders* Who would choose the out-of-continuity SU and the inconsistant, yet constantly annoying SX over this brilliantly crafted work?

RINx437LS

[66]Mar 2, 2008
    • level: 13

I never saw Sonic Underground or Sonic the Hedgehog. All I've seen is Sonic X. To me, it's great show.

wwfpooh

[67]Mar 5, 2008
    RINx437LS wrote:

To me, it's great show.

Then watch the others. 4Kids ruined Sonic, as did the comics for a time.

Bgal29

[68]Mar 15, 2008
    • level: 5

Eh heh.

FOR THE LOVE OF PETE, STOP YELLING AT OTHER PEOPLE JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS THEN YOU!!!!!!!

Yes, I do pefered satAM over Underground and Sonic X, but I still like the other two shows. I only saw the japanese version of Sonic X with subtitles and never bothered with the english dub, so I don't see it as crappy as haters sumed it up to be. Underground is a very mixed bag, but I still love it.

But still, you don't had to yelled at people that disagree with you. It's ok for people to have different opinions then you, LIVE WITH IT!!!!!

wwfpooh

[69]Mar 15, 2008
    Excuse me, but last I checked this IS a poll on the SATAM board and thus, SATAM ought to WIN on its OWN board, you know. Not to mention that 4Kids DID ruin Sonic, and EVERY fan KNOWS this!

Bgal29

[70]Mar 16, 2008
    Well, whatever. I just saying not to yell at people who disagree with you.

wwfpooh

[71]Mar 16, 2008
    Bgal29 wrote:
    Well, whatever. I just saying not to yell at people who disagree with you.
    Last I checked, I was not capitalizing words--which equates to shouting--when I was stating my viewpoint (which stands, because "Sonic Underground" DID defy Sonic canon, "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog [AoSth]" WAS written in a kid-friendly Warner Brothers style, and "Sonic X"--thanks for 4Kids and the horrible dubbing--DID ruin Sonic, whereas "Sonic the Hedeghog [SatAM]" was darker and geared towards the t'ween generation who grew up with Sonic on the platform he started on and is famous for...the SEGA Genesis.

Bgal29

[72]Mar 18, 2008

Screw you purist. I'm not bothering to answear this board anymore. You can think that for all I care, JUST DON'T YELL AT OTHERS JUST BECAUSE OF HAVING DIFFERENT OPINIONS!!!!

*muttering swears*

wwfpooh

[73]Mar 18, 2008
    Last I checked, YOU were the one shouting. And FYI, purists KEEP Sonic alive, because moronic fans who KNOW NOTHING of Sonic's history RUIN the franchise, IMO.

RINx437LS

[74]Apr 9, 2008
    • level: 13

Calm down.

I haven't seen Sonic Underground or Sonic the Hedgehog. is there another way to see episodes of both these shows.

Edited on 04/17/2008 5:09pm

talonmalon333

[75]May 11, 2008
    • level: 27
    Bgal29 wrote:

Screw you purist. I'm not bothering to answear this board anymore. You can think that for all I care, JUST DON'T YELL AT OTHERS JUST BECAUSE OF HAVING DIFFERENT OPINIONS!!!!

*muttering swears*

Quit telling at the other users will ya?

Sasori_101

[76]Jun 15, 2008
    • level: 1
    Sonic X is the best!

soundmonkey44

[77]Jun 23, 2008
    • level: 6

Hello I am new. I have been A sonic fan for as long as I can remember....I think I was 3 or 4. Anyway I got Into sonic Becuase of AOSTH & The game S3&K. I love all of the shows but i gotta say non of em bet the archies monthly sonic comic, which will be on 190 in july.

But if i had to chooose how they rate id probably say

1 Satam

2.Aosth

3. Sonic X

4. Underground.

WWinnieF

[78]Nov 19, 2008
    Archie Sonic is based on SatAM, don'tcha know (because the concepts for SatAM were laid out before Archie began its comic line [but because it is faster and easier to push out a comic than a TV show, Archie Sonic came first, despite being based on the TV series]). As such, SatAM wins by your logic, soundmonkey.
    :
    is there another way to see episodes of both these shows.
    Something called YouTube. XD
    Edited on 11/19/2008 6:44pm

curtdog96

[79]Jul 13, 2009
    • level: 2
    sonic x

WWinnieF

[80]Jul 16, 2009
    curtdog96 wrote:
    sonic x
    Or not. Although not as bad as Sonic Underground, Sonic X was still an abomination on the Sonic legacy. Heck, the ONLY dubbing 4Kids EVER got right was the first few seasons of Pokemon, anyhow. XD