Sonic the Hedgehog Forums

ABC (ended 1994)

Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic X or Sonic Underground

pferreira86

[81]Jul 26, 2009
    • level: 17
    I think Adventures and the Saturday morning cartoon series were the best. But Sonic X did have some good animation from what I've seen.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

WWinnieF

[82]Aug 1, 2009
    • level: 20
    pferreira86 wrote:
    I think Adventures and the Saturday morning cartoon series were the best. But Sonic X did have some good animation from what I've seen.
    Good animation doesn't always make for a good show. Nor would Looney Tunes-esque humor (AoStH). Often, character relations (i.e. relationships that endure characters to the audience) withstand the test of time over the type of jokes made famous by vintage Warner Brothers characters. Thankfully, most of the Warner Brothers shows have relatable characters, which allows for the shows to still be entertaining, despite being dated by today's standards. AoStH unfortunately suffers from choppy animation, lack of plot (for even the most zany Warner Brothers cartoon has some semblance of plot), and cliches out the wa-zoo, whereas SatAM--to me--still is vibrant, because it is far more realistic and has great character deveopment.

pferreira86

[83]Aug 7, 2009
    Hey, Adventures still makes me laugh to this day. Also the Sonic and Tails friendship was handled badly in the Saturday morning cartoon. Adventures wins points here.

WWinnieF

[84]Aug 7, 2009
    pferreira86 wrote:
    Also the Sonic and Tails friendship was handled badly in the Saturday morning cartoon. Adventures wins points here.
    Or not. SatAM was cancelled prematurely, because the brotherly bond was to expand greatly in the third season, which was to focus on Tails' character growth and on the introduction of Knuckles were the show not given the axe by a head of management that wanted change (that change came in the form of the anime influx on most other networks at the time and in ABC becoming the poor man's Disney Channel it has since become).

pferreira86

[85]Aug 13, 2009
    WWinnieF wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    Also the Sonic and Tails friendship was handled badly in the Saturday morning cartoon. Adventureswins points here.
    Or not. SatAM was cancelled prematurely, because the brotherly bond was to expand greatly in the third season, which was to focus on Tails' character growth and on the introduction of Knuckles were the show not given the axe by a head of management that wanted change (that change came in the form of the anime influx on most other networks at the time and in ABC becoming the poor man's Disney Channel it has since become).
    Thanks for that. I didn't know about the exact politics behind the decision to cancel the cartoon. But still...even in Season 1 and 2 Tails was always very much in the background, considering he's supposed to be a main character he could of been utilized a bit more.

WWinnieF

[86]Aug 15, 2009
    pferreira86 wrote:
    WWinnieF wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    Also the Sonic and Tails friendship was handled badly in the Saturday morning cartoon. Adventureswins points here.
    Thanks for that. I didn't know about the exact politics behind the decision to cancel the cartoon.
    The management head wanted change--as said--and used the ratings of the red-hot Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers as a scapegoat (i.e. the management head placed the blame for SatAM's drop on a lack of audience and on the popularity of MMPR when in actuality, he himself purposely placed SatAM on the air--on ABC--at the same times that MMPR aired--on FOX--thereby purposely ensuring that SatAM would fail, because he knew that MMPR was faring better ratings-wise than SatAM).

pferreira86

[87]Aug 20, 2009
    WWinnieF wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    WWinnieF wrote:
    pferreira86 wrote:
    Thanks for that. I didn't know about the exact politics behind the decision to cancel the cartoon.
    The management head wanted change--as said--and used the ratings of the red-hot Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers as a scapegoat (i.e. the management head placed the blame for SatAM's drop on a lack of audience and on the popularity of MMPR when in actuality, he himself purposely placed SatAM on the air--on ABC--at the same times that MMPR aired--on FOX--thereby purposely ensuring that SatAM would fail, because he knew that MMPR was faring better ratings-wise than SatAM).
    Huh? Er...is that legally allowed? Couldn't he lose his job by paying for a cartoon series and then air it in a way so it fails on purpose. I'm surprised the creators of Sonic back at Sega Japan or the producers of the cartoon series haven't taken him to court.

WWinnieF

[88]Aug 23, 2009
    He didn't pay for SatAM. It was on the air before his tenure. He wanted change (in the form of imported anime and other shows aired these days) and thus, he wanted to get rid of all shows that existed before his tenure. With that, he purposely aired SatAM against the red-hot MMPR, thereby ensuring the show would fail.

pferreira86

[89]Aug 27, 2009
    WWinnieF wrote:
    He didn't pay for SatAM. It was on the air before his tenure. He wanted change (in the form of imported anime and other shows aired these days) and thus, he wanted to get rid of all shows that existed before his tenure. With that, he purposely aired SatAM against the red-hot MMPR, thereby ensuring the show would fail.
    SatAM didn't stand a chance. In the UK I caught the series on Channel 4. There wasn't any competition but it exactly seen as a popular cartoon series due to a complete lack of advertising by Channel 4.

Tkerekes13

[90]Sep 11, 2009
    • level: 28
    I like all three shows the same.

WWinnieF

[91]Sep 12, 2009
    Tkerekes13 wrote:
    I like all three shows the same.
    That's the best thinking I've heard, as all three have something to offer.

pferreira86

[92]Sep 27, 2009
    People can like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog for it's jokes, the Saturday Morning Sonic series for it's well written complex plots, Sonic X for it's light hearted adventure and Sonic Underground for it's music. Something for everyone!

WWinnieF

[93]Oct 9, 2009
    pferreira86 wrote:
    People can like Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog for it's jokes, the Saturday Morning Sonic series for it's well written complex plots, Sonic X for it's light hearted adventure and Sonic Underground for it's music. Something for everyone!
    Exactly.

Midnight-Moon

[95]May 18, 2010
    • level: 2

I like Sonic Underground.

WWinnieF

[96]Sep 26, 2010
    I prefer SatAM for all the reasons I've previously mentioned. Besides, a part of the reason for Tails being held back is because he was still a kid (he was 10 years old, for pete's sake) and even an American 10 year old genius would have his "slow" years, which SatAM showcased.