Sonic Underground

Beginnings (Origins, Part 1)

Aired Weekdays 6:00 AM Aug 30, 1999 on Syfy

• basicly it is Queen Aleena telling about a prophacy that she is told by the Orical of Delphi on how she has to give up her children then reunite with them later so the prophocy can be fullfilled.

it was a good episode i liked it, i thought it was sad because Queen Aleena had to give up her children in order to fullfill a prophacy, now i wish they had finished the series because i want to know if Sonic, Sonia, and Manic ever find their mom again and rule together as one.
  • First episode!

This series starting episode tells us how Sonic, Manic and Sonia grew up to three different families, as they were tooken from Queen Aleena. Sonic finds out that he has a brother and a sister, Manic and Sonia, and is shocked. Manic is a green hedgehog who plays drums, and Sonia is a pink one plays piano. They soon meet up. Sonic can play electric guitar so they all play a song together. They unite to stop Robotnik once and for all. A great start to a good series, don't miss it. It contains some character details and plot information that will be useful in later episodes!
  • It was good, but a little bit boring to start off

7.2
    I like Sonic Underground a lot, but this episode didn't amuse me much. It was a little bit good though. This episode shows Sonic, Manic and Sonia when they first met and their carers getting robotisized! A good start though and a nice round-off for the later episodes. I know this isn't Sat-AM, but this show has things that Sat-AM doesn't have!
  • Well, it' not SatAM...but it will do.

7.8
    Way back in ’93 (a long time ago for some of us) one of my favorite cartoons of all time was released. “Sonic the Hedgehog,” (a.k.a. SatAm among us geeks) joined the ABC Saturday morning line up. Surprisingly, it was a very good show, although nothing like the games. Well, unfortunately, after two seasons one of Fox’s “megazords” took a bite out of the ratings and the show was cancelled. (Sad.) Which brings us to “Sonic Underground,” a show which I had no idea existed until recently. Coming out in 1999, it was a little past my Saturday morning cartoon days (high school seniors need their sleep, ya’ know) and didn’t even show in my area (no UPN affiliate.) Having recently come across a copy of the show I decided to give the first episode a whirl.

First, I’ll talk about what I liked about the episode. The animation is very impressive, better than the old SatAm version (and 100x better than “Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog” (AoStH)) The voice acting was pretty good as well, with Jaleel White returning to the helm as the voice of Sonic. Also, the overall feel and setup of the series seemed to be off to a better start than SatAm, with much more explanation about Robotnik (who returns much in the same mold as SatAm), and his coup to take over their home planet, Mobius. The first episode seems to take the show off to a good start!

However, a couple of things irk me about the first episode of Sonic Underground. First off, the “musical” sequence in the show is absurd. I hear that there is one in every episode and I am highly considering fast-forwarding through them. I realize that Sonic and his siblings are musicians now, but I could really go without the idea being pounded into my head. Sonic’s voice was just not meant for singing (sorry Jaleel). I remember one singing sequence being in SatAm and thinking the same thing. I know kids that watch this will hate it as much as I hated that one back in SatAm when I was younger.

I suppose the thing that bothers me the most is Underground’s visual similarity to SatAm, a show that was never finished. Sonic, Uncle Chuck, Robotnik, Robotropolis, Mobius, and the general setup of the show is very similar to its predecessor. In fact, Robotnik and his city is almost completely the same! In a way, I wish they would have returned to the old show completely, or not at all. I want to know what happened to Robotnik, Snively, Nagus, King Max, and the rest of the old Freedom Fighters, not start over completely and discard something that was truly enjoyable. Don’t get me wrong, “Underground” seems that it will be very good…but…eh…I suppose I’m still bitter about the way the old show ended. Oh well, I suppose Archie Comics became the torchbearers of the SatAm world anyways.

I don’t want to give off the wrong impression, I like the pilot episode of “Underground” (minus that awful musical number), and I plan on watching the whole series as soon as I get the time. Was SatAm better. Yes, but does that diminish the first impression of this show? Yes, I’m afraid so. Their decision to reuse elements from SatAm will inevitably allow room for comparisons, many of which weigh in SatAm’s favor. However, don’t let it deter you. From what I’ve seen so far it has promise. Who knows, maybe its similarity to SatAm will wind up being a boon for the series in the end.

So, I say what the heck. Give the show a try! “Wonder TRIPLET powers activate!”
  • This was so disapointing...

When I was downloading this episode, I had high hopes. They were unfounded. The setting of this episode keeps jumping from one character to another, and no spirit is in it. Sonic, Sonia and Manic believe that they're siblings way too easilly. Mobians look happy to be roboticised. This episode completly lacks personality.

I now know why some networks started with Wedding Bell Blues, which was the pilot episode.
  • This episode was one of the greatest in the series, in my opinion. It strongly showed the relationship between the three siblings.

This was one of the greatest episodes in the series, on account of it superbly showed how Sonic, Manic and Sonia came to be, and how they met. It explains well how their life was turned upside-down and I'm glad it was included in the series! If only every show included an episode like this! ;)