Sonny with a Chance Forums

Disney Channel (ended 2011)

So Random=All That. Original? I think not.

OverkiII

[1]Feb 13, 2009
    • level: 8

Did anyone else get the feeling that this show rips off the sketch comedy show All That. Now I know this show isn't JUST a sketch comedy one, but seriously. Doesn't this show seem as if it's ripping off a lot of aspects of All That? Especially the name of the sketch show 'So Random'.

I mean, even the cast seems as if they're a rip off of the original, including the little girl who would be Amanda Bynes' counterpart.

All That was cool. This show is another incredibly lame attempt from Disney to make a show with another recycled actress/horrible singer 'Demi Lovato'. (Seriously, what the heck is up with EVERY Disney channel actress/actor singing? I mean now that Alyson Stoner doof has a music video, as well as tha stupid Mitchell Musso from Hannah Montana. Anyway, ending my side rant...)

Does anyone feel this show is a rip off as well? I personally can't stand the horrendous amount of unoriginality in this show, and the fact that people are RAVING about it's originality. Disney just sucks.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

that70sguy92

[2]Feb 13, 2009
    • level: 16
    Yeah. Me and my brother were saying that during the first two episodes. That is definitely where the show came from. Except... All That was a bit better.

[3]Feb 13, 2009
    Well they were made by the same producer, so it wasn't really stealing someone else's idea.

OverkiII

[4]Feb 13, 2009

41225525557 wrote:
    Well they were made by the same producer, so it wasn't really stealing someone else's idea.

Oh, so it's the same producer? Still, it's pretty pathetic to use the same ideas in a different show. Especially in a show that's pretty bad. If a producer is going to use the same ideas from one show to another, then I think new producers should be hired. What we need on TV is originality. The fact that this show's producer is going to use his old ideas is lame, but then again what can you expect from Disney. They wouldn't dare take a chance and try hiring a producer that would have some exciting ideas that don't involve a show revolving around a 15 year old actress/singer. Disney is the king of unoriginality.

seiji092

[5]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 2

Well, I thought I'd seen it before and indeed if it's the same producer then

it's not actually stealing it

Collegebound06

[6]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 32
    yeah i was wondering if they could do a show as great as all that but i mean its ok but all that was funnier and i didnt even get about the lil girl till u said somethin..she does have kinda the ask ashley, crazy attitude 2 her lol

iCarly317

[7]Feb 14, 2009
    • level: 13
    Honestly, I really hate when people call other shows rip offs. I know it IS like All That, but there's no comparison as to which was better anyway. And that was a really ridiculous rant you had going on there, Overkill...

OverkiII

[8]Feb 14, 2009

Collegebound06 wrote:
    yeah i was wondering if they could do a show as great as all that but i mean its ok but all that was funnier and i didnt even get about the lil girl till u said somethin..she does have kinda the ask ashley, crazy attitude 2 her lol

Right? See what I mean about the cast? I mean even that bit seems to be ripped off of All That. Amanda Bynes was a lot funnier too.

iCarly317 wrote:
    Honestly, I really hate when people call other shows rip offs. I know it IS like All That, but there's no comparison as to which was better anyway. And that was a really ridiculous rant you had going on there, Overkill...

Yeah, that would be called a RIP OFF. Seems to me you're the ridiculous one contradicting yourself like that.

Anyways, and to answer the post that said because it's the same producer it isn't considered stealing, I guess it's not considered stealing in a 'creative' sense, but I still consider it stolen from the actual show of 'All That'. Just because it's the same producer shouldn't give him the right to recycle old ideas on a new show. It makes for boring, repetitive TV, and to an extent, may even go against All That's copyright laws (if it gets that badly). A lot of people worked on All That, not just the producer. It's insulting to rip off the work done on All That for this show.

Collegebound06

[9]Feb 15, 2009
    it might work kinda like songs tho where after 10 yrs the copyright laws are up..b/c around 99 i think amanda left the show..n then after season 6 all that went down hill lol..but its been about 10 yrs since the good times so m/b they think hey its a new generation and that generation doesnt know anything about the old all that..the classic all that

LuigiSan

[10]Feb 15, 2009
    • level: 2

Brian Robbins must be running out of ideas, I mean look at this:

Fasty's=Good Burger

Dolphin Boy=Earboy (I guess )

Loser Force 5=The L.A.M.O.S.

"I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, 'cause we're all dudes. Hey!"

Edited on 02/15/2009 8:45pm

katywishing100

[11]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 15
    iCarly317 wrote:

I agree with you, I don't believe this show is a rip-off. I think the show has some funny parts and Demi Lovato is a amazing actress/singer.

ThaPesky

[12]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 18
    All That is more like sketches all the time. SWAC has only one or two each episode. I don't think it's a rip off.

nicknameless101

[13]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 25
    I've never even seen "All That", but I really like this show.

Collegebound06

[14]Feb 16, 2009
    wow i forgot about ear boy lol..he was funny..yes actually all that did have scenes other than the skits where they were in their "prop room" and had things where they were in the audience and talked 2 each other "between takes"

sponge_bob14

[15]Feb 16, 2009
    • level: 12
    here's my opinion:::...SWAC isnt like all that too me, like they said it's more like 30 rock for kids more behind the scenes. all that was the kid version of mad tv or snl more about the skits. so maybe it's not original but, their just making something adults like to a kid size. SWAC=30 rock all that=mad tv+snl
    Edited on 02/16/2009 1:51pm

WAVY10

[16]Mar 1, 2009
    And, as I said on the thread about the first episode with the "Hive Rap", if Brian Robbins (producer in question) was going to essentially rip off his own show, you'd think he would have done a better job than THAT!

OrSoIThought

[17]Mar 2, 2009
    • level: 11
    I actually like this show. Its kind of nice to get away from Wizards of Waverly Place and Hannah Montana which both feature bratty girls as the main characters. Don't get me wrong. WoWP is good, but Demi being sweet and passivist and unintentionally dramatic is a refreshing change from bossy, selfish, and manipulative. Again, not like Alex doesn't have her good points and Hannah Montana didn't start out that way, but still. Its something different for Disney at least (regardless of how different it is for Nick).

lhotpdisney

[18]Mar 3, 2009
    • level: 9
    OverkiII wrote:

Did anyone else get the feeling that this show rips off the sketch comedy show All That. Now I know this show isn't JUST a sketch comedy one, but seriously. Doesn't this show seem as if it's ripping off a lot of aspects of All That? Especially the name of the sketch show 'So Random'.

I mean, even the cast seems as if they're a rip off of the original, including the little girl who would be Amanda Bynes' counterpart.

All That was cool. This show is another incredibly lame attempt from Disney to make a show with another recycled actress/horrible singer 'Demi Lovato'. (Seriously, what the heck is up with EVERY Disney channel actress/actor singing? I mean now that Alyson Stoner doof has a music video, as well as tha stupid Mitchell Musso from Hannah Montana. Anyway, ending my side rant...)

Does anyone feel this show is a rip off as well? I personally can't stand the horrendous amount of unoriginality in this show, and the fact that people are RAVING about it's originality. Disney just sucks.

i agree with everything but the last part about disney sucking. They dont its just this show

Kauaimon

[19]Mar 6, 2009
    • level: 16
    It's sort of like All That, but every show has another show it's simaler to. If I remember correctly, All That was just a sketch show. The "Original" part is it being a girl who stars in a sketch show. But then again I could be wrong, I haven't seen All That since it was on Nick a long time ago D=

blugirlami21

[20]Mar 8, 2009
    • level: 7
    I mean lets be honest here, nothing is really original anymore. Look at all the crime shows or all the remakes being done of old movies and tv shows. While Sonny has a similar sketch show in it, that's all All That was. I think Sonny is more about Sonny's adventures on So Random more than anything else. All That focused on sketches and as a result, I think they were a lot funnier than Sonny's. But we are really only seeing about five minutes of the sketch on Sonny as opposed to a whole episode of sketches on All That. So I'm not sure that So Random can be called a copycat show. The same could be said about All That and In Living Color or SNL.