Sons of Anarchy

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Oct 08, 2008 on FX

6.9
  • Not impressed

5.5
    I'd gotten into Sons of Anarchy because of all the rave reviews I'd been hearing about it from all my friends. So I'm surprised that the first season has started out like this. It's not bad per say, but it's overly formulaic, which is more of a sign of a show seen by an overbearing primetime network.

However this episode just failed to hit. As usual Samcro is thrusted into a pickle as a result of one of their buyers, who are terrible shots, kill an officer and two innocents--convenient--in a break out, and one of them just so HAPPENS to drop his cellphone.

As a result Clay gets locked up. Gemma finds out about him nailing Cherry, and she gets locked up too.

In the end none of the story lines here go anywhere. Probably just mere set up for future episodes, but we need to be entertained right now too. And there wasn't even that much set up anyways, aside from that stalker cop tearing up Jax's room. The right wing radicals got blown up, conveniently. I guess you can rationalize that as Jax turning more and more into Clay rather than John, but well, I'm not convinced.
  • Hm, this time not convincing.

I really like the show but this episode just didn't get me. I don't know exactly why but I think the writers overdid things a little bit this time.

Yes, SAMCROW is an outlaw mc but they are by far not big and strong enough (as far as I know they just have about a dozen members) to cope with being under investgation of several federal agencies. We know that Agent Kohn is not really interested in SAMCROW, so he's no real danger. But Agent Stall (Ally Walker was cool but sometimes overacting) won't go away so easy after she knows that they are running guns for a terrorst organisation. I'm curious if and how SAMCROW will deal with this.

I also didn't like the storyline with the right-wing extremists who bring SAMCROW in to trouble cause they use SAMCROW's guns to free their comrade and kill three people. Jax, Opie and Piney just kill them all with bombs to cover their tracks. But how can they be sure that no one survived? I counted at least nine extremists, so there's good chance at least one or two weren't nearby when the bombs went off. And, even if they killed everybody there's for sure plenty of evidence left? Nine dead bodies lying around in the woods? I'm not convinced this time. That was too easy.

Jax shows that he can lead the club, and even I don't like the way he handle things sometime, that's a good thing. It's important for the Hamlet-like plot of the show.

The best scenes of this episode were those with Gemma and Clay. Gemma goes through menopause and has problems with the arrival of the girl Clay slept with in "Patch Over". "What happens on the run stays on the run" but not this time. The acting of Sagal and Perlman was again the highlight for me. I like this show cause I like its interesting and strong characters and not cause SAMCROW kills a few people every episode.

BTW, who was supposed to be the familiar face from Gemma's past mentioned in the episode overview? As far as I can tell, there was no one we haven't seen before.
FX