Sons of Anarchy

Burnt and Purged Away

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Nov 22, 2011 on FX

7.2
  • Holy CRAP!!!! Burnt and Purged Indeed! (spoilers of the epic variety!)

Can I have a minute? I mean, seriously, just another minute? This was my reaction to last night's episode. I'm still processing. I'm shocked, amazed and in awe.

Sona of Anarchy is getting better and better, and this episode tops so much. I couldn't be more thrilled with the writing and performances by the cast. They were incredible.

First, Opie seemed so calm, just going to Clay's home, and asking where he was, talking to Gemma like he wasn't about to murder her husband, and like he wasn't wound so tight he could explode (Ryan Hurst, I again stress, deserves an Emmy for this season.)

I think Gemma realized that Clay did have to die when he was in the hospital with Tara. She ran to Tara's room, expecting death, and I think at that moment, when she saw Tara was alive but felt the full impact of all the emotions of distrust, love and fear when going to confront the situation, she said good bye to Clay, and told him she loved him. That was a perfect scene.

Jax put his foot down, however, with his mother for truly the first time. Gemma has had control over all the men in her life before, and for the first time in the last few episodes, she lost them all. Unser told Opie the truth, Jax is leaving and Clay... well...

When Opie called Jax to the creamatorium, however, the impact of those scenes were amazing. Opie stood there, stoic, saying goodbye to his father, and Jax gets there. Jax's emotions were all at the surface as well, since he had no idea what was going on. When he saw the body burning, and Piney's cut, I think that he had no idea what to expect from Opie, and then when they left, and Opie swing 180 degrees, pulling a gun on Jax and going from quiet and stoic to bundle of exploding emotions, Jax had no idea what to do. First he was stunned that his best friend had a gun on him, and then his realization dawning that Clay killed Piney, he didn't want to believe that things had gone that far. He stressed that it was club business, and that they need to take it to the gavel. (THough I don't remember him letting SAMBel take it there, and just a lot of killing going on) Opie just scoffed and rode off, crippling Jax's bike so he couldn't get there to stop him. And the confrontation with Clay, with Jax doing everything he could to stop him, Opie just held the gun, told Clay he knew about Piney, and Donna was not as ancient history as Clay wanted to believe. Jax finally arrived and Opie didn't let anyone stop him. Clay was shot, twice, and I don't think he is going to make it. And here is where I am still processing...

What is going to happen to the club? Bobby Elvis is injail, and possibly for a really long time. Otto isn't taking that back. Juice is going to be found out... is death next? Clay is likely dead, or will be soon... Jax was leaving... will he still? And this is why Kurt Sutter is an artist with the pen... and these actors are so great. (Again, Ryan Hurst - EMMY!)

FX