A Sons of Anarchy Community
FX (ended 2014)

Sons of Anarchy S06312: "A Mother's Work"

Sorry fellas and lady fellas, Kaitlin is off for the week preparing her unauthorized and incredibly invasive James Wolk biography, so it's just me tonight. And since no one is here to keep me level-headed... I'm apologizing in advance to all Sons of Anarchy fans who enjoyed this episode.  

So who wants to talk about the first 65 minutes of Sons of Anarchy's Season 6 finale? Yeah, me neither. Season 6 has been a test of endurance for me, with series creator Kurt Sutter taking full advantage of FX's thin fall schedule and consistently pushing past the typical 60-minute runtime mark (one-hour dramas generally run for 44 minutes, with 16 minutes of commercials). And tonight's finale "A Mother's Work" was the longest of all, an 80-minute marathon that took up two hours of primetime television because... ummm... I have no idea why.

Other super-sized episodes of Sons of Anarchy felt slightly extended with scenes that meandered, but a few minutes of extra run time were tolerable even though it was a repeated offense all season long. However, "A Mother's Work" felt drawn out and stretched thin beyond the extra lingering shots of Jax doodling in his notebook or one character holding a glance a few seconds longer than necessary. There were full scenes that didn't belong in "A Mother's Work" that disrupted any pace the episode was trying to build and had the same effect as warm milk or half a bottle of whatever pills Juice took. And it's a shame, because all that waiting around weakened the thunderous and HOLY SHIT finish when we look at the episode as a whole. And we should look at the entire episode. if Sons of Anarchy wants those awards that Sutter is so obviously envious of, he'll have to make a show that's good from start to finish and not rely on his trademark moments of insanity to bring in the gold. Because that ain't happening the way he's doing things.

As far as I could tell, the first hour or so was mostly about finding Tara, or Tara making sure a deal was in place that was to her liking, or Nero struggling to pick a side. While these things are important to the story, they took a hell of a lot longer to develop than they needed to, turning a large chunk of the episode into quicksand. And for every scene that perked up my attention (Jax and Tara in the park was fantastic), there was a scene that shouldn't even be included in the Superfan Sons of Anarchy Complete Series Deleted Scenes DVD set. Did we really need to see Wayne and Wendy, two characters who barely mattered to the season at all except for creating stalling tactics, sit around a table and talk about Wayne's ex-wife or Wendy's ex-girlfriend? This is the season finale, let's get that smackhead bitch off the screen so we can deal with the people we actually care about, okay, show?

What we did manage to wring out of the first part of the episode is that Jax changed his mind and took a big one for the club. And his decision came from an unusual source: DA Patterson. She gave him a lesson in how a man with testicles should act. Own up to your business, take charge of your situation, and do what you have to do to protect your family. That manifested in Jax deciding that he would take the blame for the guns and the school shooting and probably Unser's cancer, too. Basically, he's going down to save Tara and his boys. It's a decision I wasn't entirely comfortable with him making as it came from nowhere and never sat atop a well-constructed foundation. It would have been nice to see some catalyst for his decision process, or the instant the decision was made. And maybe next time Tara could show a little remorse or sadness that her husband and father of her child was potentially going to jail for 25 years? The grin on her face was something else.

Jax making such a sacrifice would arm the emotional landmine for the episode's final moments. It's not surprising that Tara died, I think we all saw The Reaper's shadow hovering over her all season long. How she did, well that's another thing. It's fitting–and somewhat lame–that Gemma would be the one to *ahem* stick a fork in Tara. (Yes, I realize it was a BBQ poker thingy, but c'mon, let's call it a two-pronged fork for wordplay's sake.) And I hope I got this right: Gemma was drunk from her breakup with Nero when Unser told her that Jax was getting arrested because Tara turned on the club even though that wasn't the truth, because Jax was voluntarily giving himself up. But Unser got that intel from his police connections (why are the police calling an old man with cancer who isn't really a cop anymore with this info?) and accidentally fed Gemma wrong information, which sent Gemma out on a trip to murder Tara. Yes, Unser was a bit of an idiot here, giving a powder keg of drunken anger a flamethrower and not following up on her (and also being silly enough to leave the room when Gemma clearly wanted to get on the road in her inebriated and pissed-off state).

In the end, this means Tara was killed over a misunderstanding and a spiteful old lady sauced on half a bottle of whiskey, which really drops a turd on the season's entire main story of Tara leaving with the kids. After all the flipping and flopping and restraining orders and pacts with the authorities, Tara was stabbed in the back of the skull with a BBQ prong over an old man's assumption relayed to a shitfaced grandma. Tara's death? Shocking. Sad. But the way it unfolded? Kind of stupid, and it didn't make everything before it coalesce into something that made sense. Sons of Anarchy has been fond of AHA! moments in season finales with varying degrees of success, but this was more of a HUH? moment that didn't even try to take the season full circle. Tara died because the finale needed some sort of tragedy, and getting things all the way to the point where Jax was ready to sacrifice everything for Tara makes Tara's death all the more painful for Jax. But this was practically an accident. Again, Tara's death was brutal and depressing, but it also ended up being weightless from a narrative perspective, a tough draw for a character that deserved a better exit. It was a similar sayonara to Clay's in that it was senseless to the series. It was the soap-opera turn we all expect and love from Sons of Anarchy, but it's not the quality dramatic storytelling we hope for. 

Adding to the carnage was Juice's shooting of Roosevelt to make sure Gemma wouldn't get stuck with a murder charge. It's a believable move for Darkest Timeline Juice because anything is possible with this guy, but it's a sad end to Roosevelt and another HUH? moment. Remember Opie's death? That stung and had purpose. I guess I'm looking for more meaning behind the deaths of Tara and Roosevelt other than soapy shock value. And maybe that meaning is a lesson: blood and death will follow SAMCRO and Jax no matter where they go because that's how this life in the MC goes. There was Jax as the episode faded to black, learning that lesson firsthand on the kitchen floor with his dead wife in his arms. If that's the case, message received. Again. 

"A Mother's Work" gave us those painfully sad moments and character deaths we love from a season finale of Sons of Anarchy, but not a whole lot more than that. But that's a fitting way to end a season that hasn't been anything more than blood and misery drawn out into ego-stroking hour-plus episodes. Season 6 has been sloppy and loose since the beginning, and though noteworthy for many shocking events (Clay! Tara! T-M blowing up!), it has to be one of the worst seasons of the series. Sorry! That's my opinion. Okay, you may now call me an idiot in the comments.  

SKIDMARKS

– The show lost all hope of me taking it seriously with that early close-up shot of a dove getting run over by Jax's motorcycle. Sons of Anarchy can't be silly and serious at the same time, yet it clearly wants to be both.

– Jax grabbed Juice's head and totally Godfathered him with a "You betrayed me!" I expected shit to go down between the two of them, but Jax just went about his day and walked back into the ice cream store. Was Juice killing Roosevelt a way to do right by Jax?

– Any chance Patterson tries to pin Roosevelt's murder on Jax, or what?

– The Mayans betrayed Marks' boys in one of the most obvious turns of the season. Did I miss something, or did that not get back to Jax? Didn't Chibs know?

– From Jax's opening monologue: "I have tremendous remorse for the acts of violence I've committed, both planned and spontaneous. But I think what brings me the most sorrow, is that I've learned to justify this behavior. I always find a reason, a cause a need, that allows me the karmic lubrication to stuff my guilt into a savage compartment. I've become the thing, the one I hated." Oh really, Jax? Your way of showing remorse is to do more and more violent things.

– Tara on the run is SHOCKED when Jax finds her... at one of Abel's favorite parks. Couldn't you pick a better spot to meet clandestinely with your lawyer than a place Jax is already familiar with?

– The thing I'm most interested in heading into Season 7 is the developing gang war. Throwing Nero over to the Mayans' side potentially against SAMCRO sounds like a fun time to me. 

– But it looks like the big conflict in Season 7 will be Jax versus Gemma instead. We all thought it would be Jax versus Clay, which it should have been, but Clay's a goner. I guess it pays to be married to the show creator.

Sons of Anarchy loves to populate its world with characters, but then finds itself wondering what to do with them. Think about Collette and Charles this season. Why were they even added? Poor Kim Dickens showed up, took her clothes off, and that's about it. Maybe she'll matter more next season, but as for Season 6, I have no idea what her point was. The same for Charles (Robocop), but he'll be important to Season 7 if the Mayans continue to work in Stockton. Maybe the show should have waited until next year to bring these characters into the fold.

– Thanks for reading our reviews all season, and we'll see you for what should be the final season next year!

271 Comments
Comments (271)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Tara didn't deserve to die like this and Jax didn't deserve Tara. He cheated at least three times on "the love of his life". She had to go , but not that way.
And please writer, save that Hamlet thing would you? If you have a story to tell, just tell it. It doesn't have to look like some Shakespeare's thing OK?
I will just continue to watch just to see who and how they die. It's all that has left in this show now. There's not some purpose or some "catharsis" (this word is intented to the ones that chew that Hamlet gum).
I regret watching this show, plus it made me cautious about undeserved deaths before I watch another show from now on.
Flag
"I will just continue to watch just to see who and how they die. It's all that has left in this show now."

Agreed. The writers have effectively created a show where I dont care about the fate of anyone.
Flag
So I will never trust anyone anymore. Sometimes family is our worst enemy. Oh and the sister in law that pulverized my face first was brain dead less than a year later. She can hurt me or the girls ever again. God gets final justice.
Flag
I was almost strangled to death by my mother in law who was not drunk and angry that I reported other family members including her granddaughters parents for child abuse at social services.
Flag
I was Watching tv News, by 2015, the Goverment are going to Ban Tv Show. That has Drugs, Sex , Guns. & No Cruzzing,,, They say it to much Violance going on Tv Shows & Movies,,
Flag
I hate the way Tara was Killed, stupid People,, she had to Leave Because she is Pregant, you will be miss, Tara !! Keep an update if you Have Baby Boy or GirL , good Luck, Praying you & your Family have a Health Baby,,,
Flag
Actually you are totally wrong. Kurt had planned on killing her off during this episode around season 3 and told Maggie this before she was even pregnant
Flag
Walton Goggins as Venus Van Damme - Ha ha, nice one :-)
Flag
No more please, no season 7.

This has been the worst season since that tripe that was season 3, Abel's kidnap.
Flag
Fail.
Flag
Fail?

Abel's kidnap, just a way to get scenes of SOA riding round Ireland on their Harleys..........

As if nobody told Jax that she was his sister, who couldn't see that coming, so predictable, so LAME.........

The Priest, kidnapped Abel so Jackson had an excuse to kill Jimmy O, who somehow managed to escape from the rooftop without being hit by bullets, one of several shootouts in this programme where nobody gets hit, LAME....... but then, The Priest claims he's keeping a promise to John Teller by getting his kids out of life in the club, yet it's Jackson's kid who wasn't even alive when John was, but who is The Priest to get Abel out of the life when he's a fecking member of the IRA anyway, total hypocrisy, but what takes the biscuit is Jackson actually listens to this kidnapping Priest he doesn't even know and leaves his kid with a pair of strangers, the same kid he's travelled to Ireland to save and just tortured someone to detah to find out where he was, then The Priest does a u-turn and gives himself up for Abel, later in his beaf with Galen, Jackson tells him he liked The Priest, WTF, what a load of shite.

Poor conflicted Jackson, tries to be a nice guy and gets his freinds killed, he's a fecking Outlaw FFS, act like one a grow some balls you punk.
More +
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
"Tara on the run is SHOCKED when Jax finds her... at one of Abel's favorite parks."

Yes ha ha, the whole episode was pathetic, Sutter sure knows how to ruin a good concept with his inconsistent and unplausible plots, absolute pile of shite.
Flag
DA knows a member of the SOA has been shot but let's Tara return on her own to retrieve the bullet as evidence, come off it.........

Tara is the only one that can get to Otto, ha, come off it, first of all, she wouldn't have been able to get to him at all, and secondly, how come Pope, the IRA and everyone else can pay doctors and guards at the prison but SOA had to send Tara..........

LAME....... the whole show is riddled with inconsistencies and they're a bunch of punk arse Sesame Street outlaws, always crying instead of wiping out other crews, it was 6 seasons before they actually grew a pair and killed their enemies like they should, 6 season of pussy arse reprisals that only got them more retaliation, and most of the shit Jackson is always crying about he caused, like LouAnne's death, he gave Georgie a beat down and took his camera and thought that was the end of it, one of many such examples, like other crews and criminals don't live by the same rules of the club, pathetic, they're the wimpiest thickest outlaws in history, Jesse James would smoke these punks, Romeo shows how to deal with your enemies........

Jax and Clay caused most of the blood that Jax blames on the gun business, it's their bad decisions and pussy arse reprisals............

I knew not taking revenge for LouAnne would come back to bite them, and what about Hale? No revenge for him getting the old Jew at the gym killed, bull shit, this code they're meant to live by is bollocks, it depends on what Sutter wants, fuck the code and consistency, nope, if he wants Clay to live he'll contrive a load of bull shit plot lines to keep him alive for 4 seasons when he should have been dead ages ago, at least when Opie shot him, how the hell he manages not to kill him when he was 3 feet in front of him, stupid.

Sutter comes up with a good concept then ruins it.
More +
Flag
How come Gemma was able to over power Tara anyway? Tara had already bested her twice, and she was a lioness protecting her children, there's no way some drunk old cow would have over powered her, especially putting her face down in the bowl of water with 1 hand, there's no way she's strong enough to do that, no way at all, it was lame.

And all the effort she went to making plans to escape and she refused help from the DA/police and just sat around in a park where she would be found......... Tara is the smart one, yes, really smart indeed, so smart she needs her lawyer to read a simple deal from the DA, fecking LAME Sutter!!!
Flag
May I make a suggestion? Well, I am doing it like it or not! If you don't follow S.O.A. very well or have trouble understanding, read and watch hamlet, then start watching Sons of Anarchy from the very beginning. It will help u understand the whole plotline of the show. The bonus is it makes predicting and the excitement even greater! Example: Claudius=Clay. Gertrude=Gemma
Hamlet=Jax etc...I love #SOSFX
Flag
Nice season. the last episode was kind of obvious. Got someone who is on the run from a gang, she does not take any specific precaution to avoid being spotted. She still drives the same car, goes to a well known playground and things. Being killed over a mistake ? Vy bitch Gemma ? She would have been killed by a rival gang, ok, but by Gemma ? It is a bit frustrating to see the things going from bad to worse without a real satisfying end. Do you remember the end of Spartacus' Season One ? After all the suffering during Season One, Spartacus and Co finally slaughtered their masters in a blood bath. What a satisfaction !!! Still waiting for that here. Comme on Mr Sutter, give us some real ending with a satisfying blood bath.
Finally, regarding the homeless woman, I can see it coming that the SOA show will end by her killing Jaxx (stabbing or at gun point) ...
Flag
You nailed it. Otto Sutter's infatuated love for Gemma Sagal has ruined any dramatic hope for SOA. It is officially a soap opera.
You didn't need to be a critic to discover this evolution. Lousy ending to an otherwise promising series. Season 7? Yawn....where's Game of Thrones when you need it?
Flag
The Finally was predicated as usually, protagonist survive someone takes the fall and Jax is going "not" going to jail and is going to get a slap on the wrist. Next season businesses will be as usual. Jax going to be rasing his kids and some drama is going to happen as usual.
Flag
Chibs holding the baby. That is all.
Flag
The only thing I agree on with all of this piece is:

– Any chance Patterson tries to pin Roosevelt's murder on Jax, or what?

I choose to refrain from speaking on the absurdity on the rest
Flag
First thing I thought was yeah,now Jax is going down for a double murder as well.
Flag
I have mixed views on this finale and this season. There has probably already been enough said about the successes and failures of both. Instead, I am left wondering about the homeless woman they've shown in both the episode, and the one prior. To just cut to the chase, I think perhaps she ends up being the girl's mother who was thought to have died in the accident that killed Jax's father. Jax mentioned she looked familiar in the family photo, but then it was never brought up again. Then we get random shots of this woman. Could she also be of some relation to Jax, perhaps an aunt - even JT's sister? That would make the girl his niece, and a reason for the time the show took to tell this story at all.

If my seemingly random speculation proves near the mark, I will also go out on a limb to say this family, if reunited, could wind up being a landing point for Jax's boys after the bodies stack up by the end of next season. With this finale, it doesn't appear there will be many principal characters left at the end who aren't dead or imprisoned. Just a thought that really doesn't have much to go on except conjecture and a few loose threads that the writers seems to have left purposefully without explanation. I don't claim to be a savant, so we'll just have to wait and see what next season offers.
More+
Flag
The homeless woman has appeared several times throughout the series, since Season 1. Gemma saw her outside a store and gave her money (she said she needed to feed her children), then Gemma saw her again when she brought Unser to church - Gemma followed the homeless lady inside the church. Jax also saw her a few times throughout the series.
Flag
I've seen that homeless women before. I think it was season 1 when Jemma gives money to a homeless person and i think it's the same person. I also think she is the girls daughter but don't know how that's going to be relavent.
Flag
This whole season has been a bit daft. But I suppose they need the layers and threads there for next season especially if next season is to be the last. That's why those characters have been added now. Jax will go back to banging that madame, robocop will help them out in this war. Nero will be stuck in the middle or go full on mexican OG. They seem to have gone for shock value of substance this season. Like Tim says, in previous seasons, a character dies and it meant something. There was a real hurt to it when you watched, now it just doesn't matter, it's expected. I think for the length of the episodes and the potential they were given to work with this season really didn't step up. The first 4 series did a better job of being rivetting with normal show times. I love SoA but when it becomes boring for the sake of being boring to make it feel like there's substance when really there isn't, it becomes hard to come back to it week after week. I really hope the game steps up for season 7!
Flag
shock value over* substance!

Although Tara's death did leave me a little open mouthed, even though i couldn't help thinkin, how did she put that fork through her skull, yet juice just snapped it like a twig on the bin haha!
Flag
SOA can go suck a banana. "Justified" will premiere Tuesday, Jan. 7 on FX!

Why watch guys who are bad at being bad when you can watch the guys who're good at being good? Irreverent Rayland, Awesome Art, Kickballs Rachel, and Intimidating Tim are coming, and hell's soon to foller'.
Flag
i'm massively justified excited haha!
Flag
Seems this year has been a year of disappointment. Justified didn't live up to my expectations :( not enough of the Marshalls to many crowes being dumb inbred rednecks haha!
Flag
Well I won't be watching next season. It sure does pay to be screwing the the writer - hence Jemma's character not being killed off. Even though she nails everything that moves except poor Unser.
Flag
unser is her 'lovable, yet ugly' duckling.
Flag
Unlike the PM, I enjoyed the finale and the build up to it. This is a show that is renown for it's violence and imaginative slaughter, so I'm never disappointed when it "slowly" escalates to the bloody payoff! There shouldn't be a sprint to every finale; sometimes a patiently measured pace to the end result is far more rewarding. As was the case here.

I was surprised that Tara died, especially in his season. Having read Hamlet, and understanding that she (Tara) represented a modern day Ophelia, I knew that she would probably die, but I expected it in the final season.

As for Gemma, I really haven't been a fan of hers since season four, but I can understand how a coldhearted, manipulative, deceitful narcissist would think that the only way to heal her wounded heart would be to murder the person she feels responsible, even if it happened to be the mother of her grandchildren. I see something very, very dark in her future. If she represents Gertrude in the Shakespeare play of Hamlet, I thinks she'll end up dying in an effort to save Jax, as Gertrude drank poison that was intended for Hamlet.

I haven't reached a conclusion on Nero's alliance with the Mayans and how that will impact the Sons, but I see the following individuals not surviving season seven: Gemma, Juice, Nero, Happy, Tig, and, possibly Chibs (though, if I have a vote, Chibs and Happy will cheat death once again). I like Tig, but, because he's an obvious fan favorite, I see him as a sacrificial lamb on the altar of "shock value", not unlike Opie and Tara.

However it plays out, I can't wait to see the final season of this fabulous, fantastic, unequaled television series!
More+
Flag
Tim, I agree that some parts were unnecessary and it could have been 10 min shorter, but I did like the ep. But I like slow things, like Winter´s Bone.
Now. I think USA does not differentiate from let´s say Latin America, where many, many violent crimes and deaths happen for no reason, mostly because people drink or take drugs and do things without knowing. So that two people died for a misunderstanding it is perfectly normal in the world I have a chance to see.
My predictions: Now I think Sutter may take the story towards two groups colliding with each other and it will bring more war and death. Jax may turn more into Clay, or kind of a Lex Luthor man. Gemma I think will replace Otto as the person that has lost it all and is irreversible and miserable, and we may see her fall more and more into a big deep black hole. So, yes, Nero against Jax.
One thing: what does it means here the karmic lubrication when Jax says that allows me the karmic lubrication to stuff my guilt into a savage compartment
More+
Flag
Tim your an idiot! :) This was a great finale and set up for next season. Jax's entire world is crushed! :( He will be an emotional monster/mess when the show returns in September. Not only is Tara DEAD, but she was killed in a BRUTAL way by HIS MOTHER. And to top it off Juice covered it up. The ramifications of his actions will be severe. Juice was already in a bad place with Jax, wait until Jax finds out he helped Gemma get away. Juice is a dead man.

While the episode did drag on for a bit, I feel like most of it was just a way to set up how the final season is going to play out. The Mayans and the Chinese will be working together against Samcro and Marks crew. Nero will most likely being joining up with the Mayans after Jax lied about killing Davarny (another reason Juice will lose his life). So you will have an all out gang war going on.

The DA will not be happy because the deal she had set up with Jax and Tara is pretty much void now that Tara is dead. Jax will NOT be making any kind of deal, he will be trying to find out who killed his wife and when he gets his hands on Gemma....well lets hope she finally gets what she deserves. While her reason for killing Tara was COMPLETELY STUPID, it was something that was going to happen eventually. Gemma needs to be completely involved in her son's life and have some kind of control over him. She is about power, and Tara is/was a threat to that power. Jax loved Tara, she was everything to him (besides the kids), and he would do anything for her (hence the deal with the DA). Gemma couldn't stand that, also adding fuel to the fire was the fact that Nero dumped her ass and she was drinking and high. Going to confront Tara at the time she did was NEVER going to end well. Jax will KILL HER. If he doesn't do it himself, he will have someone else do it or he will cut her from his life completely. THAT would KILL Gemma.

As for Jax taking the deal with the DA, like I said above he did it for his wife and kids, he loves them and after his talk with Patterson at the ice cream shop as well as his talk with Tara in the park, he realized HE needed to change things and finally STAND UP and BE A MAN. He did that, he was going to jail and Tara would be free to take the kids anywhere she wanted safely. Nero's words to Jax earlier in the episode about karma (killing the school boy shooter's mother - Davarny), came back and BIT HIM in the WORST way possible. Jax will be UNHINGED next year and I cannot wait to see what happens.
More+
Flag
Opie died for a reason. Someone had to be sacrificed, and as tragic as his death was, he gave his life so that Jax could live, and there's meaning behind such an act. There's something to balance out the sadness.

I think Tara and Roosevelt's deaths were all the more powerful because they were so pointless, so avoidable. Nobody deserved to die. Nobody was saved. Nobody got revenge. No justice was dealt. Only death and tragedy.
Flag
Holy s**t! This show just doesn't stop dealing out shock and drama. To be honest though, it would hurt more if stopped. Just keep it coming, I can take it!!!
Flag
F@#k you Sons of Anarchy! F@#k you!!!
That's the second time you had me in tears!
Flag
OMG!!!! you guys TARA IS DEAD!! WTF??!!
She was the only thing keep Jax grounded!! I hate this I hate this so much!

I cant wait till September! ARRRGGGG

On a very important note, did anyone else notice the sounds that came out of the BBQ fork when Gemma was stabbing her Tara's HEAD?? OMG!!!
Flag
I agree, that we saw a lot of lacy writing this season finale. Unser giving Gemma misleading intel, him leaving his keys, then leaving the room. Lacy, wouldn't have happened.
The obvious betrayal by brown on black.
The dove on the road. No shock-affect; as soon as i saw the pigeon, I mean within one or two secnds, I knew it was gonna get run over.
On the plus side, even though Tara's death was a bit unsatisfying, I like the way Gemma carried it out. I expected her to just shoot her, so stabbing her violently and repeatingly in the back of the head, with a bbq fork, was fitting. It also suggests to me, that Gemma wasn't planning on murdering Tara, but just like a predator, when Tara makes a run for it, its sparks Gemmas predatorial instincts, and she launches at her. I think Tara had time to stop her, if she had tried.
Another thing that bothered me: how dumb would Sutter have us believe the DA is? The MC can figure out to put a tail on Tara's laywer, the one remaining contact she would still have (since the lady administrator at the hospital is so spooked, she's worthless, and pretty much crying herself to sleep, shaking and peeing all over her bed), but the DA can't. Would be pretty much the first move when Tara goes a-wall.

But all in all, I'm happy to disagree with Tim on the quality of the season.
More+
Flag
I wanted Tara and Jax to have played the DA like she has everyone including the dog but with a twist being Jax and the MC spared through Tara's actions. This would have added fuel for next season and one of the main conflicts Jemma and Tara or for that matter any female other than Jemma in Jax's life and heart.They could have built some good hate from Jemma having to smile on the outside and be grateful to Tara for anything.Last but by no means least the lingering shot of Jax's gun when he throws it on the floor to go to Tara. Duh it would not tie him to being forked to death or the shot that killed Roosevelt because different caliber and different gun. What murder does that gun connect Jax to having committed? You know the other Hamlet special . . . Clay.
Flag
Happy for actress Maggie Siff who is free of this crappy endless macho soap. No need to waste talent anymore.

Flag
Maggie Siff just said this "I think I actually did cry a little bit. But it was almost more in gratitude than in anything else. It’s been such a long, wonderful journey and I’m very grateful for it. But as an actor, six years of anything is sort of insane. I think that we all are curious and interested in what the rest of our life is."
So I think she does appreciate what Sons of Anarchy has done for her carrier, which now has a future.
Flag
may be in first 3 seasons but then same crap again and again. There was no place for Maggie Siff character's growth. Any actor would be grateful for work she (he) has or had. Her statement is just politeness and political correctness. I bet her role in Concussion was more exciting for her than that cliche of role in SoA.
Flag
Well, I don´t agree. Few people know who she was before SoA, but many know now. And reading around most reviews on internet, most people are sad she had to go. Maggie Siff will probably miss been a part of The Forest Rangers, who are the ones that play the show´s music, and who allowed her to performed life in front of many fans.
Flag
I doubt everyone knows who she is. I knew her from Mad Men. SoA isn't a huge hit. Just good ratings show for FX with wanna-be bikers fanbase who have gazilion guns in their closets.
Flag
this show might be even more depressing than the walking dead. walking dead is a show about death. it doesnt masquerade as anything else. this show should be called ''sons of tragedy". it's the death of everything golden. Donna, Luann, Piney, Rita Roosevelt, David Hale, Opie, Eli, etc,,. They top it off by killing off the strongest, most beautiful and virtuous thing on the show.
Flag
nah, women on this show are mere furniture and victims or whores. Let this sexist show have less females and more muscular bearded machos with tattoos and guns and homosexual tension. I don't know who's watching this now? Small circle of sexist wanna be bikers? Probably.
Flag
I am answering to the two of you: I live in Scandinavia. Here we have motorcycles gangs or clubs who are always involved in violence and illegal things. Some times they drive around the big city and park all the bikes next to each other. There are all men, with woman in the back of their bikes. That is the world they liv in. If you don´t like it, don't watch it. But the way Sons portraits the show is How These People Live in Real.
Flag
No it's not. realistic. Don't be so naive. Show is completely ridiculous and absurd in its over-the-top violence. Dramatization is so idiotic and absurdist that comparison to Hamlet is laughable. Yes, there is some knowledge of bikers culture in this show. But does real bikers win in this situation being depicted as violent thugs and degraded human beings? Ive seen bikers' clubs as well. And believe they are all different. More to say the tiny percentage of them engage in crime activity. It's lazy and hypocritical to say that we gonna depict things as they are but will add as many fictional violence and dramatic moves as we can to please action-hungry audience. I doubt that all bikers' ladies are the same useless whores and weak dumb bitches or cunning pity manipulators. That is not reality but your assumption or willingness to see that reality.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
When you get to the fork in the road, stick it in Tara's head
Flag
I did not answer the poll above since I don't think you gave enough options. I lie somewhere between the first two options. Though I may have mixed feelings about some of the choices there is one thing pretty clear to me.... it's exactly what William Shakespeare would have done with the story arch. To drive the young prince into further internal chaos, something twisted and needless needed to happen, and it did. If I were writing (ha ha ha), I'd have chosen other roads, or at least other points along the way. But I have to applaud the show for creating something that in it's entirety of six seasons that is so completely Machiavellian that floors me to think of. And by the way WS would have also killed the dove. I need to go re-read a Shakespearian tragedy again to get a fix.
Flag
Jax will be in jail for the first two episodes of next season. They will find him not guilty for the fact that his guns a .45 where juices was a 9mm. When jax gets out he will kill everyone. I can't see him not going completely off the deep end. Full on war with the Mayans. Nero will be blamed for taras death. If it does plan out that its black and white vs yellow and brown, black and white will have the irish on their side and they can't be taken lightly. Next season will be awesome.
Flag
You are the worst, I try to avoid you but you just spread your hate everywhere. Please TV.com dont let Tim ruin your site anymore than he already has.
Flag
In the case of Chibs and Bobby not telling Jax about the Mayan deal I suppose would have to do with the moment, dude's about to go to jail and never see the kids again, why burden him, thats what that look between them was.

As for them finding Tara in the park, had nothing to do with the park itself, it was never established it was abel's favorite park or anything, they found her by following her lawyer.

As for Tara's death, you were spot on, everyone saw it coming, but it was lazy the way they decided to do it, feels like it was done only to create more conflict but with no need for logic to explain how it happened. I shouted out the moment Unser left for the pills: "Dont leave your fucking keys...", its the obvious thing not to do, yet, writer lazyness...
Flag
Isn't this review per definition trolling? Especially considering it's beginning and end?
Flag
Chibs and Bobby knew, they just decided not to tell him. Adding to the fire of what comes in season 7 since Jax thinks all is alright with the gangs.

Jax and crew didn't find Tara because they knew the park, but because her lawyer was followed. She was shocked because she didn't hear them coming.
Flag
Ya, and Jax was going to jail, probably for life, so why ruin his last couple of hours with his kids, with the browns executing the blacks info.
Flag
Also you can't call it one of the worst seasons if you seemed to have missed the point more than once or dropped the ball on some important details. Your an idiot Tim! lol
Flag
I agree with Tim on this review. I also couldn't t stop picking at things.
Why the hell couldn't Jax tell Tara about the deal he had set in motion, then they wouldnt have worry about Jax turning himself in??? Tara would still be able to leave.
No matter what Juice just did is going to make things right with Jax or the club.
For a club who knows how to set a crime scenescene Juice sure did a shit job. The coroner will look at Tara's head seeing the puncher wounds. Juice should have left the fork there and wipe them down.
Jax was so silly for touching Tara, we will either see Jax have the double murder pinned on him OR The DA won't have a case against Jax since Tara is gone.

I thought the ending was going to play out with Jemma shooting Tara and Roseavelte coming and shooting Jemma. And my hubby that Tara and Jax were in on it the whole way, playing the DA. We both were sooooooooo wrong.
Flag
So basically this is the only place I'm seeing S6 is being frowned upon, otherwise SOA is one of those rare shows where every season was better than the previous and this was one was the BEST (ya complete opposite what you said) of the show so far.

Yes I miss Kaitlin now lol. But hey, to each his own. This is the most criminally overlooked show since The Shield.
Flag
Really? Every board and post I've read has numerous comments about disappointment in the espisode and season as a whole. This show is overlooked because as Sutter has said it is very tightly based on Hamlet. ORIGINAL ideas get awards, not copyrighted materials.
Flag
You have to a fact slightly right, it's very loosely based on it. And that's such a lame argument, look at pretty much every other show - Right from GoT to Breaking Bad, all adaptations or took inspirations, many even heavy from others.
Then why aren't other epics like The Shield and The Wire overlooked? The latter got barely some popularity in recent years.
Flag
Have I been watching a different show for the last six years? SOA was never a masterclass in tv, comparable to critical success like The Wire or Breaking Bad. It's always been a roller coaster ride of emotions, sex, violence and shocker scenes. The reason I love SOA is because I am completely invested in the characters, whether I love them - Opie, fancy them - Jax, love to hate them - Clay, want to hug them - Juice… etc etc. This show hasn't just become silly and implausible in the sixth season, it always has been this way, and I'm fine with this, because, as stated above, I love these characters.
Also this show has always been about Gemma and Jax. Not the club, not Clay and Jax, but Gemma and her manipulation and twisted ideals of loyalty to her son. Since the show began Jax has wanted out of the club, but Gemma will never allow this. Tara was always the problem for Gemma. If it wasn't for Tara, Gemma's manipulation of Jax would have free reign. Now that Tara is dead, and because Jax doesn't know it was Gemma, Gemma will get Jax all to herself, she will probably start raising the boys. It wouldn't surprise me if Jax dies at the end, and Gemma ends up raising the boys, and the cycle starts all over again.
"But it looks like the big conflict in Season 7 will be Jax versus Gemma instead. We all thought it would be Jax versus Clay, which it should have been, but Clay's a goner. I guess it pays to be married to the show creator."
I'm annoyed and disgusted by this comment Tim. Katy Sagal may be married to Kurt Sutter but she is a fantastic actress, and she stands on her own merit. Her portrayal of Gemma has been one of the greatest acting roles on television. There is no need for sly comments that she is only there because she is sleeping with the show creator.
More+
Flag
The failure of Season 6 is purely economic. Jax was always going to be Hamlet. SOA decided for economic reasons to stretch out Jax's downfall through two seasons. And making it worse they spread out each episode longer than an hour.

While it was apropos and ironic- Jax leaving an untrue crime scene by the end of S6 - just as he did with Gallen and the Irish; we know Jax can't spend the last 13 episodes in jail.

So the final season now - through delay - is set to end like Hamlet. In Shakespeare's play, a ghost (JT's letters) foretells that Hamlet's (Jax) uncle killed his father. Hamlet kills his uncle (Clay). Then suspecting his mother (Jemma) is complicit, he kills her lover (Nero). And his mother drowns herself in guilt (probably alcohol which was foreshadowed in the final episode of S6). Then his cadre of friends are banished (SAMCRO). Then Hamlet dies drinking a poisoned drink (the final reveal )while battling his enemies (Oakland gangs) with the help of his banished friends (SAMCRO).

Season 7 is now predictable. With only side-plots, diversions and red herrings as filler.

More+
Flag
And people are in total shock that Sutter hasn't received any award nominations let alone the awards themselves??? Hello?? A 12th grader could put the same spin on Hamlet!!!!
Flag
Furthermore avici's new song hey brother needs to be used in a sons episode to perfect
Flag
Ok I agree completely with the first hour and a half comment. I thought I was watching dear john meets motorcycle gang or a Spanish soap opera with Harley's. Then u have SOA's uncanny ability to drag an action out over seasons I e killing clay I e Tara and jax. Mothers work catchy title I love the play on it sutter has had some great titles for his episodes I'll give him that. The whole jax killing the white dove thing... The dove doesn't apply to Tara she is not pure and innocent I mean did you see the fake baby bs and let's not forgot jax have her multiple chances to leave through multiple seasons. I'm happy she's dead so we can finally move on. That being said I love sons. I disagree with tim the humor adds great comedic relief to the show. The show saved itself in the last 20 minutes but yes sons would be dangerous if they made a great show from start to finish and not just the last half hour. Season 3 is still my favorite.
Flag
Unfortunately I'm just over this show now. I almost stopped watching it last season because It's become way too predictable. Things seem to go from bad to worse all the time, there's never anything good.. like ever. This season was really starting to look good again, but they ruined it with the finale. RIP SOA
Flag
There are many shows with happy endings. Clearly you have not understand that SoA is never going to be one of them.
Flag
Remember when Nero asked about karma? And an innocent mother dying because of what Jax has Juice do to Darvany? Yeah.... That's what Tara's death was.

Also, yes Chibs knew all about the shooting, but, in case you didn't notice, he and Bobby shared a look when Jax asked about it, and decided not to tell him. They didn't want do ruin his chances of being granted the deal.
Flag
What are u kidding me, really. Tara had to die. Ill have to admit nice imagination. But damn. Dock brought everyone else back to life, an now she had to die, I mean clay already died that was dramatic enough on
Flag
This finale makes me wanna say to Kirk Sutter "F**K you" and "That was genius" all in one sentence. I knew this was coming but didn't want to believe it to be true.
Clay got it in the neck, Tara got it in the back of the head with bbq fork. There is no proper send off for any of death of the cast.
That's drama for you.
Flag
Don`t forget it`s a tv show and yet people still like to see violence but can you change everyone in the world ? sure you could try but you would die trying
Flag
So who wants to talk about the review of of Sons of Anarchy's Season 6 finale? Yeah, me neither. I don't know why anyone would read rubbish like that.
Flag
wicked cool episode Kurt Sutter you really know how to see the truth in life
Flag
It actually was "Aha!" moment too in my opinion because it happened for precise reasons. Firstly Tara and Gemma had to have hatred for each other, Jax had to be mysterious with the deal and not telling every one and he had to set Juice on the other side. I saw at least Tera getting killed by Gemma and maybe others and I was sure that Juice would do something but I didn't see it going down this dramatic. Also at first I was thinking that Jax would have gone to jail too and be really fucked.
Flag
'– The show lost all hope of me taking it seriously with that early close-up shot of a dove getting run over by Jax's motorcycle. Sons of Anarchy can't be silly and serious at the same time, yet it clearly wants to be both.'

I read this as Kurt Sutter setting the episode up: Jax will crush anything in his path. So I was quite excited and looking forward to a bloodbath. Unfortunately, it never came.

Now I think the opening shot was pointless - a good idea that found its way into the wrong episode.

Overall a meh series finale. Everything seemed half-arsed and it lacked any truly great moments that also didn't leave you thinking 'why?' or 'why that way?'. Like Taras death, it felt a little bit empty because behind the blood the reasoning wasn't right. She should have died just because her storyline all season was terrible (it wasn't very cohesive) but it was so rushed. Why not make Jax make the call, or for her to die tragically - redeemed and then killed in crossfire between the MC and the Mayans - or at least for Gemma to have full information so that she killed her to save Jax. And Juicy... that didn't feel right at all.

In the end, I think Gemma did save Jax. I can't see him going to prison now. Sure he confessed but it wasn't on the record. They won't press him either because then the boys will have no family.
More+
Flag
The Gliding Over All ( I am taking it from Breaking Bad) staff will came next season. Things in this show go for the long run.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members