A Sons of Anarchy Community
FX (ended 2014)

Sons of Anarchy S06E11: "Aon Rud Persanta"

KAITLIN: There are certain times that call for long-winded, but eloquent introductions. Right now is not one of those times. Right now is when we cut right to the chase, because holy sh*t, Clay Morrow is dead. Like, really dead. Deader than dead even. Did you see that shot to his neck and the way it was basically a fountain of blood when he fell to the ground? Kurt Sutter is a sick, sick man. And I am girlish enough to admit I screamed and clasped my hands over my mouth when it actually happened, even though it was quite obvious for a good five minutes that it was going to happen. This is something I've been waiting for since Clay shot and killed Piney in Season 4, something I've been actively championing and yet, here I am on the other side of "Aon Rud Persanta" wondering, "Why now?" 

I believe, like most fans, that Clay should have met his demise by Opie's hands at the end of Season 4. Or at the very least, sometime in Season 5. To kill him in Episode 11 of Season 6 feels a bit like "too little, too late." In fact, damn it, I kind of felt bad for him in that moment! He accepted his fate and walked to his own execution willingly after Jax and the club had sprung him from his prison transport. As vindicated as I feel right now (especially since I rightfully called that Clay and the Irish would be dealt with in one swoop and some guy named Tim told me I was pretty much a crazy person), I feel bad for Clay Morrow. Curse you, Sutter, CURSE YOU. I should not feel bad for Clay freakin' Morrow!

TIM: Wait, Clay died? YES CLAY DIED! And you know what, I stand by my thought that I wasn't crazy for saying YOU were crazy for thinking the Irish and Clay would be taken care of in one fell swoop because it would seem out of place! You said it yourself, "Why now?" And I say, "Who cares!?" HE'S DEAD and GALEN IS DEAD and SAMCRO is finally out of this stupid gun business! This was awesome and the deaths went down exactly as they should have. Galen didn't get a second to register his demise. GOOD. Screw him. And Clay got his proper sendoff. He respected Jax's play. I don't think the actual murdering could have gone better. 

And now here's where I become the party pooper. Your "Why now?" is a totally valid question. This was probably the most overdue thing in all of television, and having it just out there was really bogging this series down. SAMCRO wanted to kill Clay for forever (okay, a few seasons at least) and they had been wanting to get out of guns and the Irish proved to be terrible business partners. The solution was simple: kill them all. Nevermind the little loopholes Sutter put in there to keep them alive, the solution was SIMPLE: KILL THEM ALL. And that's what Sutter did. So why now? Because we didn't it expect it now. Well, I didn't. Even when Clay was putting it all together, I wondered how he would get out of it, because SOA has done this to us so many times before. So bravo, Sutter, I was not expecting that to happen now. If that was the goal, mission accomplished. But does it mean it was the right time? I don't know.

KAITLIN: I didn't necessarily expect it to happen now, because for all my talk, there was still  a part of me that was worried Sons of Anarchy's final scene would be a close up of a pile of ashes with bones and broken bikes parts, and as the camera panned up we'd find a proud and bloody Clay Morrow sitting atop the ashes smoking a cigar. All of this with a sad song playing, of course. But I definitely let out a breath that I'd been holding for two seasons when Clay died tonight. I'll probably always wonder, though, if Sutter had this planned all along or if sometime during the middle of production he just walked in to the writers' room, kicked over the nearest easel holding a white board and was like, "You know what? F*ck this. This isn't working. Let's just start over in the middle of the season by finally killing Clay and making everyone happy so we can put an end to this bullshit." Because if he's had it planned all along, you have to ask yourself, what purpose did Clay serve this season? On the one hand, you have Ron Perlman, who's got a presence that you don't want to lose, but on the other, Clay did so little this season. He languished in prison. He provided Otto with a means to finally end his traumatic and depressing life. But mostly he was a footnote in the Irish story. I think Sutter wanted to redeem him a bit, and while I felt a bit bad when Jax finally took aim and shot him, I don't think he was actually redeemed in any way.

TIM: Nope, he was in a holding pattern all season long, only to be broken out when at the right time to put an exclamation point on the whole season that's been dragging. His death felt like it gave this season its memorable moment rather than served his character's life. Last season will be known as the season Opie died, this will be season Clay died. But man oh man Opie's death resonated a lot more with me emotionally than Clay's did, and felt way more important to the series. I'm sure there was back and forth about how and when to kill Clay in the writers' room, and at some point they came up with something else that they figured would anchor the final season, so it became "See ya, Clay, let's make fans happy."  But Clay was a man who deserved more than just death, he deserved something more. In many ways, Clay the character died when he had his ink blacked out last season. And make no mistake, with Clay gone, Season 7 HAS to be the final season now. 

While I'm happy Clay is dead, there are two other things that I have reservations about. Was this really the fan-friendly ending to the Jax and Clay saga? There wasn't much tension to Clay's death. There was zero build up. He was in prison for 10 episodes, he was out of prison for about 5 minutes, and he and Jax only had a few words before he took a bullet in the throat. It was a sad old unarmed man versus the new king with all the power. It wasn't the ending to the chapter that I think this tumultuous relationship deserved. And this after Clay even stuck up for the club. Again, I certainly don't feel bad that Clay is dead, in fact, I'm doing backflips over it, but it would have been nice to see this villain get a proper death. He was sort of swept under the rug. And the other thing: I'm really going to miss Ron Perlman. God damn he's been so great on this series for six seasons. I hate Clay, I love Ron.

KAITLIN: And as monumental as Clay's death was to the overall story of the series, it came midway through "Aon Rud Persanta." There are two ways to look at that. The first ties into what you're saying: The death was treated like it was so inconsequential that it was sort of swept under the rug and buried. Yes, it was treated with severity and stern faces galore, but didn't Clay at least deserve a cliffhanger death? The second way to look at it is: This story is so much bigger than Clay now. Jax has new battles to wage. He still had to meet with Connor and the Irish Kings after the fact in order to finalize the gun stuff. And he also had to transport an injured Bobby to the cabin so his wife, who wants to divorce him, could begrudgingly play mob doctor once more. 

And speaking of Tara, she's the one who earned the episode cliffhanger, when after meeting up with D.A. Patterson—who wasn't too happy that Jax delivered Galen and the guns along with four dead bodies—had to figure out if ratting on the club and handing over the bullet she pulled from Bobby was the right thing to do. 

TIM: And you know what? I love that cliffhanger. Narratively, I think that's the difference between Clay's death and Tara's decision, and why–and this is going to sound crazy–Tara's decision holds more weight than Clay's death did while we wait between episodes. We got to see Tara weigh this decision, we've seen everything that led up to it. Clay's death was SURPRISE! We're killing Clay now! And then it was over. All the decision process for that was done behind the scenes and out of our view. That doesn't mean it wasn't important, it's just a matter of the way the audience perceived it. God, I feel like we're going to be torn to pieces for diminishing Clay's death, and I don't want to give off that idea! It's as important as anything that has happened in the series. But we've been waiting for it for so long, that I wanted it to be more than just a way to wrap up a club inconvenience–the Irish and stupid Galen–in a tidy way. Clay's death felt more like a way to wrap up the Irish story than a way to kill Clay.

KAITLIN: Maybe we should just start over, because I don't want to give off the vibe that his death wasn't important or that I didn't like the episode, because I did. Maybe the fact that we've spent this entire time discussing Clay proves that, I don't know. But if his death wasn't monumental, then my reaction to it wouldn't have been so strong. I was actually shaking when it happened. I screamed when Jax pulled the trigger. It matters. It just doesn't affect much of the story going forward, because Clay was no longer a threat anyway. Tara's decision is what's going to affect the series going forward, and that's what matters. In fact, it's giving me anxiety just thinking about it. When Jax told her he understood why she did what she did and when he apologized to her, something in Tara changed. Jax was blaming himself for what she did, and at this point, I'm not sure what Tara's going to do. Once again, just like last week, I'm going to bed excited to find out what Tara's going to do next. Good work, SOA, good work.

SKIDMARKS

– As much as I criticized the way Clay's death was dealt with, my heart was pounding from start to finish during this episode. I was filled with anxiety in a way that I haven't felt all season, even though it used to be a regular thing while watching this show. It reminded me of the good ol' days, of the bold series I used to love. (Kaitlin) 

– Not me! I was giddy and clapping my hands and shouting, "PULL THE F-ING TRIGGER JAX!!!" (Tim)

– There were some nice references this week to Piney, Opie, Half-Sack, and Phil (who's death feels like it was ages ago now). And there was also something sweet about that last nod and hug between Juice and Clay. 

– Clay: "Where the hell are the Irish?" / Jax: "In Ireland."

– Tig: "Why are we pink?"

– Tara: "Clay Morrow should have been dead a long time ago." Hey, there's the old Tara, the one who used to speak for the audience!

– Nero: "No offense, mama. I've seen what happens to your husbands."

– Jax: "After this it's all white hats and tight pussy." Amen, brother. 

– The ride home in Nero's car after Clay died was brilliant! Gemma was crying, Nero was still a little unclear about what'd just happened, and Tara recapped everything terrible that Clay had done, without an ounce of sympathy. Just in case anyone was sad about Clay's death, Tara was there to remind us why we shouldn't be. 

92 Comments
Comments (89)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
How 'bout you don't put a spoiler in the title?
Flag
I'm concerned about Hap...?
Flag
I have been fortunate enough to avoid spoilers on this all week and got to enjoy it without knowing the end game, though I had a feeling it was Clay's time. He got the death he deserved. Jax wanted to kill him so many times and nearly everything that's gone sideways since Jax tried to go legit can be traced back to Clay. Jax took everything from him in the end and THEN he killed him.

Now Gemma? That one I'll cheer because that one needs to be put down. She's the real villain of the show. Clay, for all his talk, was only ever about protecting himself and benefiting himself. Gemma wants to be the one in control. She's mama grizzly x1000. I mean, when you tell a mother that her kids are not hers anymore and all you get to do is decide how they remember you left? I think at that point, you've signed your own death warrant. Tara is smart; her plan to frame Gemma was perfect, but she lacks the one thing Gemma has in spades: fear.

I think we can all cheer about Gaylen, though. Screw that guy.
More+
Flag
7:49,61 About 8 minutes. Two moments, and so much in between. Was it the right time for Clay? Is there any right time to die? The writers gave us an epic solemn scene. Starting from the first second when Clay walks down from the transport vehicle after Tig, then lifts his head for a split second and understands. From there until the last words: - This good? - Yeah - and the loaded gun goes from Chibs to Jax, about 20 seconds of silence with the camera going from face to face, in and out of the office, then back to Jax, who lifts his weapon and shoots to kill without hesitation nor words nor nothing. Clay is dead. From those two moments, it took 7:49:,61 This for me was perfect narrative and story telling. Clay never got to be the leader that Jax is becoming. Jax allowed Clay to present the solution to the three dead irish with his own dead. Clay´s last moment of leadership.
Where Clay would have done all this on his own in secret, Jax put it to a vote and include everyone, I mean, everyone in the club, and Gemma, Tara and Nero. Two very different leaderships stiles.
I love the way Jimmy Smits plays Nero. For me this is the best character he has done, and a role that shows what a good actor he is. Nero at the same time, is the father that Jax never had.
For me, those nearly 8 minutes were some of the best moments of this show. I sat holding my breath watching it, even the second time to take the time in my stopwatch. Great TV Kurt Sutter!
One more thing: no dead of this show should never be compare to the death of Opie. He still irreplaceable.
More+
Flag
Such a busy week me that I didn't get to watch this eepisode until today.
When Galin was killed I gasped, grabbed my mouth and shouted OMG. When Clay died I shouted, its about bloody time.
I really thought Juice was going to do a big f*ck you to Clay and shoot him instead of Jax finishing him. Because he just hasn't been right for a while now and I thought when Clay hugged Juice that was it, Juice was going to snap.

I saw a glimmer of hope when Jax grabbed Tara's hand (or was it the other way round) when they were sitting on the bed. I let out a big nawwwh.
Flag
No sign of Happy. Is he in China by now? at least he will be able to speak Chinese, when the rest of SAMCRO remember where he is.
Flag
Gemma took the words out of my mouth. I hated Clay and there was a time when I would have been cheering that scene on but I was actually quite sad. Jax is acting like a bone-head, Tara still needs to die and Galaan died so quickly that I didn't even have time to savor it, dammit! I hated that guy! I was impressed with this episode. I was actually watching it and feeling a little anxiety, as they went off to break Clay out, at what was to come.
Flag
Not out of the guns and the muck yet,
1) The Chinese still have Hap, and they want the gun trade
2) Marks still has a scope on TIg, and they wan the gun trade
3) The Irish are clever and probably have a 'Plan B' in place in case the Clay exchange goes awry. They hate both 1) and 2). Could they have something set up with the Neo-Nazis?? Italians, Mayans? ... ? ? ?
More splattering blood to come !!
Flag
Wow you sure are evil Tim. You were rooting for Jax to pull the trigger? Actually screaming in excitement? Why?! I get that Clay suck but he was a non threat since last season.That scene felt totally off for me. From Jax, Nero, Tara being there to actually witness Clay's murder. To the way Jax screwed with the DA and did all this. I didn't see it as a clean escape. I saw it as Nero saw it, weird and unexpected and truly too much to handle.

As you say. Clay wasn't a threat anymore, so the way this happened made me think Jax was the bad guy here. Pushing the club deeper into the hole. The fact that it was Bobby that was shot actually made me feel this a lot more. Jax keeps trying to save the club in ways that only gets them deeper into the sh*t.

As for Tara. I expected her to be more scared of what happened. To actually witness Jax murder someone in cold blood in front of her. yet she was happy and it was Gemma that was truly sad. And I truly felt for Gemma. She truly is the big bad here, but even she didn't expect this to happen and go down the way it did.

So what's left for the season and the club. I truly don't know. I know JAx apologized to Tara, but IMO she took it the wrong way. The way she locked the door just right after Jax left. It makes me think the last season is going to devolve into a JAx vs everyone because of his descicions. At some point I even thought there was going to be a conversation in the car between Tara, NEro and Gemma where they decided or realized how low or bad JAx has gotten. Even more with the speech Unser gave Gemma earlier in the episode.

Eery stuff. I was anxious watching the episode and I kind spoiled myself reading a bit of the review here. Thanks Kaitlin for puttin git right at the top, but I guess it's my bad.

But yeah I don't truly see it as you did. I didn't expect it. I didn't truly welcome it. Well Galen death was awesome, but Clay's and how it happened in front of everyone and how Jax screwed with the Do no mess with the Shield's DA. Bad things are to come is my guess. Every season sort of ends in a bit of a high note, i guess this one is not it. Maybe even the reverse of last one. Tara getting her "revenge" and the club in deep and slowly cooling on Jax. Bobby for Prez!!!
More+
Flag
I feel like Gemma spoke for the audience a little when she said, (paraphrasing) "I hated him, I should be glad he's dead, I don't know why I'm crying." I thought it was a fabulous way to send him out, but part of me feels let down. Mostly because I wish Opie had been able to kill him or at least seen him killed before he died. Sigh. I still miss Ryan Hurst.

I love love loved Tara telling Gemma that the reason Gemma hated her plan is that it is something Gemma would have done herself. I also loved Tara yelling to Jax the "how did I get here?" because as much as earlier in the season we were all thinking that she knew what she married into, I don't think that she envisioned her life turning out like this. I think that she believed Jax's promises to get out of the illegal activity and that she would be able to wait. Instead, it cost her her potential (hand crush) and possibly her freedom. I don't think she believed that she would end up this desperate to force Jax out of her life.

Here is also now why I think Tara is in the right. Jax isn't the Jax of season 1 or even season 3. In his struggle to become John Teller, he has instead become Clay Morrow. He killed his own "father" as Clay was a father to him for longer than John. Why wouldn't Tara (or Gemma for that matter) want her sons out of the life that made her husband kill his father? Of course she wouldn't want her sons there. I also think that Nero somewhat agrees with Tara on this. I don't think that Nero would want his kid (if he were healthy) to live that kind of life.

Regardless, I finally feel like this show is back on track, and I'm glad. I love it.

More+
Flag
Well I was totally surprised and shocked (and I'm still slightly in denial) that Clay died. I think it was huge that it happened now. Sure Opie or Jax should have killed Clay long ago, but that would have been killing him for personal vendettas. This was a unanimous vote by the club. No one stood for Clay. Not Tig, not Bobby, not Jemma, no one. And Clay brought all that on himself. Also it shows how strong the club is at the moment. They are unified and working together, Jax is no longer acting on his own for his perceived ideas of 'what's good for the club'. And maybe that's why Jax can understand and forgive Tara for what she has done, and why he blames himself too. Jax is really understanding what a family is through the club, but it's his really family that is paying the price. My heart broke when he said that to Tara at the end of the episode, and if she can go through with betraying him after that then she is a *words I can't use here*. I've always believed that Tara wouldn't go to jail, and I thought Jax's deal was going to save her, but that's gone now. Usually Stutter and in turn then Jax has some bigger plan in his head that we don't know, and I'm glad that they didn't just hand Galen over to the police because that was so well, obvious. It hasn't been the best season but as always Sons comes in to it's own in the last few episodes and I am more excited than I have been all season to see where this is going.
More+
Flag
How about that line, "we took a vote. This time it was unanimous"'. Damn!
Flag
Wow. I wish y'all could have seen my reaction to Clay' s death. Never have I made the sounds that I did during that commercial break. And look at my name, for crying out loud! This show is too damn good.
Flag
I can't believe Clay is dead. I found myself feeling a little bit bad for him, but mostly I was like WTF. It really felt random, and I kept thinking that they went through all that just to kill him and in the process almost lost Bobby and lord only knows what Tara is going to do with that bullet. If she turns it in, then Clay is still fucking with Jax from the grave. I'll miss Ron Perlman, but Clay literally had nothing to do so I guess it's best he is just dead now.
Flag
I cannot tell you how pissed I will be if the whole of next season is Tara spying on the club for the D.A. Pretty sure if that's the direction they go, I'll have to tap out at the end of the season.
Flag
In shock over here!!!
I can't believe that Clay is dead. I didn't see it coming. ( but it's still finally.)
And i am happy that Galen is dead too.
Flag
I said last week that I thought Clay was talking and acting like he was going to die. He just didn't know it at the time. But the writers did, so I wonder if that played into my perception of it. Of course, he's escaped death so many times before I figured it was just another red herring, but he finally bit the big one. Thankfully. About time.....
Flag
This time I agree with both of you. I did not see Clay dying at all.

It was good play by Jax all round and it seems his plan might really get them out of the gun business but is it a good idea to piss off the DA who probably will now go ALL out for them.

Clay death seems inconsequential. It make his death seems light. He should have died last season or continue to create a bit of mayhem this season and then died at the finale.

All the hate we had for him diminished and I too felt a little sad for the unarmed old man. The satisfaction for us the audience is also lighter than if he died last season.

The explanation by Tara did reminded us about the terrible things he did. The fact that we needed reminding say something about his death.

The last scene this episode redeemed Jax and his beautiful butt quite a bit. It kind of show his tender side besides being a gang boss and killer whole season. He told Tara that he understood everything that she did. He was sorry that Tara had became what she is today because of being with him. I think Tara was surprised and touch. I wonder if it would be enough for her to NOT give up the club.

My guess in the end she would not.
More+
Flag
In order to fully understand what happened and why now, all I have to do is remember what Jax said to Connor when he was showing him the bodies and "explaining" what happened. Jax - "If it wasn't these two on the floor, it was going to be us." Nuff said. My mind then vividly recalls two key facts that basically said this, The CIA and the Irish both wanted Clay back at the gavel (he could run it from Belfast, much like the Irish Kings). Therefore Jax was on borrowed time as long as Clay lived, and he knew it, busting Clay out of jail was the final straw, and Jax had to act.
Flag
My only complaint is that Galen died too quickly. I'm not saying they needed to torture the guy (not to say that wouldn't have been earned) but I would have at least liked to see him have a full second to process his demise before the lights went out. So we could watch his smug grin fade away.
Flag
My thoughts exactly!. Kill the other two, give him 5 secs to realise what just happened, eyecontact with Jax, and then booom. No trashtalking or anything like that, but just to let him know he's a gonner.
Flag
On a smaller episode-to-episode level, Clay's death was pretty cool. It felt poetic in some way. But knowing what I know about previous seasons and how I felt about them, this was waaaaay too late and way too anticlimactic for me to truly enjoy it. There were more than a couple times in previous seasons where Clay's death would have been quite exciting to watch. But aside from being done late, it was also so slowly and quietly done that it didn't impact me as strongly as I'd have hoped. That's basically my only nitpick... like I said, on a strictly episodic basis, it was really good.
Flag
Wow what a Tuesday! Clay, the ultimate villain dies, yea! Carter, the greatest cop (Person of Interest), dies, cry!
What can even happen next?
Flag
THANKS for spoiling POI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
If it makes you feel better, some asshat did the reverse to me on the POI message board. The person in question made a comment about Clay dying in their comments on the POI episode. Thanks, douche-nozzles.
Flag
I am soooo sorry all. The Tuesday was just too traumatic. Didn't think!
Flag
Thought this episode was amazing. I've also really enjoyed this season. There have been some episodes slower than others but I accept that. We can't have an episode like last nights every week.

Anyway, do you intend on ever switching back to the old review style. It was so much better. If you guys wanna just have a little chat with each other about the episode in private or something, that's fine.
Flag
+100000000. Find it almost impossible to finish. One review, by one reviewer, and save your discussion for your sunday knitting club. Just not working guys, sorry. You tried it out, you failed. Move on
Flag
Totally agree with the review style, ----------idont like this chat at all

Flag
You know what. I'm on season 3 (I'm slow, yes) and I thought "I'll just take a peek in this here review. You know, read the first sentence to get myself excited about catching up." And wouldn't you know that instead of reading the first sentence, my eye skipped right to the phrase "CLAY IS DEAD" and then right after that to "Clay shot and killed Piney in season 4" and I'm like "REALLY EYES you had to jump THERE" so now I know what's going to happen. But it worked and now I'm actually weirdly motivated to finally watch it again and catch up. So...Thanks?

I hate spoilers. And you know what I hate more than spoilers? The fact that I KNOW there will be spoilers and I still can't resist clicking a link. Shame on me. It's like I never learn.
Flag
Staff
We've all been there. (Pretty much on a daily basis for me.)
Flag

"Inconsequential" as the reviewer used is quite fitting for the death of a man who so nonchalantly took the life of Donna, Piney and others without a second thought. He didn't deserve the big bang death or more than a fleeting conversation from those parties he caused havoc on. Kudos to Ron because he did his job well. Although I hated Clay, as the reviewer said, you have to love Ron. One thing is clear, Jax is a patience man when it comes to grudges. IMO, it seems that Tara will define this season. Oh...I'm still waiting on Tigs to get his.
Flag
If the Irish go with the Pope deal then Tigs is safe. That is a big If. And what happens to the ex nomad dude Happy being held by the chinese if that eventuates?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I thought Clay's death way handled very well, it was very straight forward and everyone who needed to see it was there, save for Unser, and it just felt right. I feel like Tara's having second thoughts, which at this point are justified. Max pretty much all but told her that he forgave her for what she did, if not that , he understands why and that its also, to a certain degree, his fault. I mean I've enjoyed season six, but the fact that Tara has been on the opposite side of the SOA this season just has felt off, it was nice to see her extend some help to save Bobby's life. Good episode, definitely at least a 9/10.
Flag
Why now? Because they literally killed him at their very first opportunity.

Looking back to last year, the club wasn't in on MUCH of what the audience knew. Certainly nothing they could prove and not enough to send a founding member of SAMCRO to meet Mr Mahem. None of that information was definitive until late last season.

We need not like, but have to accept that Galen was the ONLY reason Clay was still alive and even he only would have kept him breathing for a few episodes. Clay's purpose this season is the result of "the next best thing to killing him"...stripping him of his ink, his patch and using him to get rid of a larger problem, Pope.

Personally, I say that's a good thing because,

1. We got to see Clay suffer the indignity of being kicked out
2. Take beating after beating in prison
3. Watch Gemma grow and come to terms with what her husband is/was
4. See Jax go from the shoot first ask questions later president to a true leader and taking only the best parts of Clay with him while at the same time demonstrating that some things he understands and could perhaps forgive (Tara) while other things are beyond absolution

If Clay dies last year, we don't get that fantastic scene with Gemma, Nero and Tara in the car...all three of them are better characters for having gone through this. The club is tighter, Jax a better leader and suddenly, Jax's conversation with Juice in the truck carries much more weight.

If there was a mistake made, it was in season 3 in establishing that Clay have a very long and complicated relationship with the Irish. While I'd be okay with pretending like all of season 3 never happened, I can appreciate Sutter staying true to the stories he's already told.

Why now? Because despite the killing off of a character EVERYBODY knew was going to die, we're all sitting here saying, "Holy f*ck!!! Did that really just happen?!?"
More+
Flag
Now than Ron Pearlman is free, he can follow Guillermo Del Toro with the recently picked-up "The Strain". Great episode by the way. The best of the season and probably one of the best of the show.
Flag
My heart skipped a beat when Clay died. And him staring at Gemma through that glass window right before his death, that's priceless.
Flag
I LOVE Ron Perlman; but I am so, so glad to hear that Clay is FINALLY dead. However, he SHOULD have died at Opie's hands...end of. Still he's dead and I will now go and do my happy dance!
Flag
Best part was galen was about to shake jaxs hand.
Flag
For some reason I actually shed a single tear when Clay died. In hindsight he should be dead but they did a great job getting me invested. I loved Galen but that was great ending for both of them. On a side note I'm worried about Juice.
Flag
Staff
I've been worried about Juice for three seasons now. The only thing I have right now is that Sutter said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly that he doesn't kill main characters lightly and that it would be difficult to get rid of characters like Tig and Chibs and Juice now, especially after Opie's death. He compared them to being like family for viewers and I really hope he stands by that (not that I trust him at all), but we still have another season, so who knows.
Flag
Weird but for some reason I still think of Chibs as the new guy. Never got attached to that character, if Sutter kills him tomorrow for dramatic effect can't say I'll care much just stay off Bobby and Juice, if he has to kill Tig, fine, the man deserves it, but please not till the very end of season 7, it just won't be same without his one liners
Flag
Staff
Sometimes I can't believe Tig is even still with us.
Flag
Does Sutter still think that his show is like Hamlet drama considering his continuing habit of calling episodes with latin names? Sutter is not that intelligent indeed.

Flag
Read the first comment - it's not Latin, but Gaelic. If you don't like it, don't watch it and more importantly, don't comment!
Flag
Gaelic, latin, who gives an eff. Sutter is still sexist tool and his show isn't hamlet-like drama but soapy show about pathetic macho headz.That is reality. Bikers don't deserve all that glorification . Everyone knows how they roll in real life. Nothing romantic about them at all. And I has a right to criticize and comment whether u like it or not. Don't reply to my comment and go write another ecstatic comment.
Flag
All these comments (and Tim and Kaitlins gripes),and nobody has mentioned the fact that Bobby Elvis got shot.That was the holy f*@k moment for me. I honestly didn't see that coming.

After the last two very uneventful episodes,tonights was more than exciting.
Flag
I guess among all the batshit crazy violence Bobby getting shot seemed pretty tame. Lol.
Flag
Staff
Hey, I mentioned it! I was so worried he wasn't going to make it, too.
Flag
ummmmmmmmmm......... so I guess the Chinese are gonna kill happy now?
Jax is giving the gun distribution to marks and gallon is very dead so......
Flag
Pretty sure Jax is going to deal with the Chinese next episode.
Flag
Ugh guys again! Criticising an episode you LIKED! And you answered all your questions...

Why now? Because it GOT us. If it was a finale or a cliffhanger you'd be criticising its predictability.

This episode gave you everything your past reviews have been campaigning for all season - Clay is DEAD, guns are over, Jax is back to being a solid bad ass & Tara is interesting! The only thing it didn't have was Walton Goggins, but we can't be greedy now...

Credit where credits due. This episode made the entire lead up mean something & for those of us who never lost faith? WE TOLD YOU SO!
Flag
Staff
Hey now, we enjoyed the hell out of it.
Flag
Good to hear! Love reading your articles every week... Sometimes on SOA I wish there was a little more in the "plus" column I guess! Hopefully it comes home strong & gives you plenty of material :)
Flag
Flag
Well it doesn't come off that way in your reviews, both of you just whine about everything.
Flag
I agree with Tim and Kaitlin on this one. Clay has been such a prominent character who inspired a great deal of emotion in SOA fans, so it seems strange that he went out on such a casual note. So much time has passed since his horrendous deeds, that it was hard not to feel a little pity for him. And that just isn't right. The larger than life, evil Clay, should have died at the height of audience anger and definitely in a more spectacular way. Although it was a long overdue, significant event it was a small splash in an overall disappointing season. And how much more of dead-eyed Tara are we suspose to take?
Flag
Staff
To be fair: the rest of the season has been mediocre. So, I stand by our criticisms of the earlier episodes. But I think it's completely valid that we wanted there to be a bigger explosive end to Clay. That's really the only criticism we had. It felt like too quiet of an end for a man as large and destructive to Jax's life.
Flag
Great episode. It felt like a finale
Flag
When they called for Tara for her skills I started wondering what they did before they had an actual doctor. Did Chibs just do the best he could? Did more guys die from gunshot wounds and/or infection? The Mayans had a doctor on hand, until he got a bullet himself. Do any of these organizations have any redundancy?

I was so happy to see Galaan go the way he did. Never believed Jax would just turn him over to the DA. I just love when the guys work as the team to take out their opponents. The Irish, the Roc, Stahl, & Jimmy. Here we have Jax, Tig, & Chibs pulling their pistols within a split second of each other, but my favorite was the coordination they demonstrated during Opie's wedding. Just once I'd like to see one of their discussions about how they're going to quickly kill several of their enemies.

The death of Clay was totally unexpected for me. I thought maybe Jax would kill him right in the prison transport truck, but when that didn't happen I thought they'd really let him go with the Irish. The Kings may have been less upset about Galaan with Clay taking his place. I wonder what the Sons would have done if Galaan really did have a dozen of his guys in on the breakout or at the hangar. If the vote was unanimous, what made Bobby change his mind?

Also, is there really no evidence at the site of the hijacking & the Hangar to point to the SoA? Connor said the trucks were untraceable, but since when is the IRA concerned about evidence & forensics? All those similar looking box trucks together would look pretty suspicious to me. I'm surprised they didn't blow up the trucks they left behind. Surely there are fingerprints & shoe prints in the hangar, maybe some strands of hair. If the Kings don't believe Connor's & Jax's story they might see a report about the crime scene and think about how they could stage it.
More+
Flag
Seeing that one specific scene, has almost completely made up for the disappointingly average nature of the previous season, and a fair percentage of this season.

The question is: Where to from here, and is it possible that somehow, Jax will end up exactly like his old man did, with Jax's children being raised by Gemma and Nero, the same as Jax was raised by Gemma and Clay?

Can/Does anyone else see this series coming full circle?
Flag
I see Jax dying at the end of the series just as clearly as i saw Walt dying at he end of Breaking Bad.

Just like Walt he's gone too far and burned too many bridges.

When Jax killed Clay it was pretty obvious to me that it wasn't an unanimous club decision like he was saying simply as Bobbys eyes showed a different story when Jax mentioned it and whilst Juice and Trigg were aware of the plan they wasn't 100% comfortable with it either.

I believe Trigg was spared by Pope's old gang simply because the new guy in charge knows Jax killed Pope and set up Clay and he wants Trigg to betray Jax like Jax betrayed him.

As to who will kill or attempt to kill jax, it's anyone's guess really, the way Jax is going it could be the entire MC by the end of the series!

Clay deserved his death though, not only did he kill John Teller and Piney in cold blood but his actions got a wife killed and man dying of cancer brutally beaten to a pulp.
More +
Flag
Flag
I have a strong feeling that Thomas is going to die and then Jax will be in the same position as John in that they both lost a son named Thomas. Then he'll have to cope or fall apart like his dad, just a guess
Flag
the real lesson to learn if that happens is that the name Thomas Teller is too boss for this world, just like Winston (Opie, donna, piney)
Flag
I had a feeling it would be the end for the Irish and Clay, but I also thought "Nah, Sutter won't do it. He'll wait until the finale or next season to do something." I had a feeling something ominous would happen when they met up with Galen, but damn not that quick. That fuck deserved death even more than Clay. I knew the moment with Clay was going to happen, and though it was a LONG time coming, it was still tense as fuck to watch. I've been rough on this season, and though I still think there has been too much meandering, this episode alone at least confirms that the season was not a complete waste of time. For the first time in a long time, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season, but I don't think they'll be able to top this.
Flag
Here is my review. YAWN.

For all of Sutter's incessant shockers that was about an average death as there could be. It wasn't shocking, it was expected for the past two seasons. Shocking would have been to have Opie shoot him when they were at the table and Jax shot Opie in the hand. But couldn't have that because one guy in the IRA would only work with Clay. That was a dumb reason then and it is a dumb reason still. This felt like an end to the Irish more than it did an end to Clay. And it didn't fit him in the least. I wanted to see him being dragged behind a motorcycle and have his body parts ripped off randomly down the road. That would fit a character as despicable as Clay was. But one shot to the neck (mind you because they didn't want to hit him in the face), four to the body and him laying their with some reverence. Horse crap! he didn't do that to Opie's wife, he didn't do that to Piney or any of the other deaths or what he tried to do to Tara. Tara said it perfectly in the SUV. Clay Morrow should have been dead a long time ago. That is 2 season of unnecessary BS that stemmed from that cowardice decision of the runners to not end him when the story and the rules of their universe demanded it.

Tig is still alive. Granted I am sure he has been useful for Jax. But that doesn't negate the fact that all of the crap that they have had to deal with at the club can and was laid at Clays feet. But it can also be laid at Tig and his idiotic feet and the dumb things that he has done over the history of their ride.

Gemma is still alive. It wasn't just Clay that plotted the death of Jax's father. She was in on it as well. And a lot of the other issues can be laid at her feet as well.

But it doesn't stop there. We are dealing with the fall out of Tara being written as a moron, because they can't seem to write the doctor as smart. So we have to deal with that for however long. If I would have been her, I would have said, Oh Bobby is shot. You might want to 911. Oh wait you can't, so kiss my arse and where are my kids.

So yea, Yawn. If this has been what all of this BS has been building up to then Yawn. This isn't the quality that it was in the first 3 seasons. It is still as predictable as it was in the beginning of the season and I am still done with it.

Let me know if it gets any better. Cheers.
More +
Flag
So I take it you still won't watch?

I can't really argue with anything you've said. To me, the moment Clay got shot by Opie and didn't die, was the moment the show jumped the shark. That could've been a fucking great ending, but he didn't die, so it was a fucking terrible cliffhanger, and the show has limped on ever since with some occasional good moments. It was still tense for me watching Clay die just because he's been around since the beginning, but it was LONG overdue, and it would've been WAY more impactful if it was done on the 4th season like it was supposed to.

By the way, I actually watched the first two episodes of SoA on Netflix last night, and boy this show has changed for the worse. It was so fucking good back then, up there with the best shows on TV.
Flag
I might watch it again. Perhaps not this season. Because to be honest, what I have seen of this season and read on the reviews of this season, I just don't think there is any saving this season. So I might give the first couple episodes of next season a shot and see if it is any better. If it is, I will stream it and do away with the live views, Though next season I won't have a choice in that. But we shall see. However right now there are just a lot of shows that are way above the quality of SOA and/or are just more fun to watch. So I just don't know if I will come back to it.

I don't think they jumped the shark so to speak. They didn't even give themselves the chance. They went and hid out under the bed and said don't judge me, just keep thinking this is great.

As for the first couple of episodes of the series. You bet it was lightyears better than it is now. Season 2 was nearly perfect.

Flag
Yeah, there are better shows on at the moment like American Horror Story and Boardwalk Empire, right? Next season is the last season though, so there's that at least.
Flag
RIP Clarence "Clay" Morrow. He had to go. As much as I long for the "family" camaraderie of seasons 1-3, I accept that if I wish in one hand and poop in the other, the poop hand will overflow. Clay had to die in order to keep SOA legitimate. As I said in a previous post, if Opie can die than no one is immune.

I still see Jax as a flawed president. In his mind he's moving the club towards legitimacy, but the price he's paid for that course in club blood and public infamy has derailed any aspirations he may have to make SOA legitimate.

I'll admit I didn't foresee any of this weeks episode. I thought Clay would be here until the end, and Galen would be around a bit longer. Bravo to Kurt Sutter for pulling the rug beneath from our feet (as he's done for several seasons).

As to Tara? I have no clue. Will she survive this season? I don't know. I'm still a fan of hers and understand why she wants her children in the care of someone other than Gemma. But, I am bothered about her decision to betray Jax to Patterson. I still remember that she shot her stalker FBI agent and turned a blind eye when Jax "resolved" the situation. Not to mention the death of Gemma's father caretaker, and all the "look the other way" bullet wounds she's attended to. I like Tara, but as the saying goes: "Lie with dogs and you'll get fleas". Guess what, Tara, you are inundated with fleas.

But, that being said, I'm still hoping that Tara can save her children without betraying Jax. There's something about that situation that feels unforgivable.

Lastly, Wayne Unser confessing that he was in love with Gemma? No duh?????? i saw that waaaaaaay back in the season two (finale) when he assisted her escaping when she was accused of killing Edmond Hayes. He always behaved like it was more than friendship going on with his care and consideration for Gemma.

In the perfect world that I'm living in, Tara survives this season, and Jax and the club have their hands filled with an Irish vendetta. Though I didn't see the resurgence of Marcus Alvarez (loved it!!!!), I like the idea of the Sons dealing with old foes. The next few weeks should be interesting.
More+
Flag
Oh my goodness. When I realized what was happening...
Flag
Holy sh!t pretty much sums up this episode :-)
Flag
Holy dear sweet mother I was not expecting that one. Thank you SOA for continually surprising me. I am curious about how this helps Jax's end-game in the long run. I'm pretty sure this just makes it worse for them. Great episode.
Flag
Aon Rud Persanta is Irish, and roughly translated from Gaelic, it means 'Nothing Personal'!!

What do I win?
Flag
Staff
Our eternal love and gratitude. And the knowledge that you're smarter than us.
Flag
harsh thekaitling harsh ;-)
Flag
Not smarter....Just more 'bored' at work!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members