Discuss Sordid Lives

Who's your favorite character?

radrobd

[1]Aug 23, 2008
    • level: 53

I love this show! Personally, I love Sissy and all her down home sayings and the fact that she keeps dropping her lit cigarette into the food, iced tea or whatever she's making.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

robbroder

[2]Aug 28, 2008
    • level: 3

This show is SO good! The only complaint I have about it is that the episodes are over much too quickly.

My husband and I are Sordid Lives addicts, ever since we saw the movie in Palm Springs. Since then, we've seen a performance of the play, and even got to meet most of the cast, along with Del Shores. We've been waiting for this show to start for what seems like an eternity, I'm so glad that it's finally on!

BTW, as much as I love all of the characters, my favorite has got to be Sissy. She's just so damn funny! Beth Grant is truly an amazing actress, in everything she does. She's one of the few cast members that we haven't been able to meet but we did see her marching in the Palm Springs Gay Pride parade!

Rob

radrobd

[3]Aug 29, 2008
    I actually didn't see the movie until after I watched the first 5 episodes of the series. I was curious so I rented it on netflix. I must say, I like the series a lot better. Sissy is my favorite, but Noleta, played by Caroline Rhea, comes in a close second.

robbroder

[4]Aug 29, 2008

Caroline Rhea is great, but Delta Burke will always be Noleta to me.

BTW, I love how they keep throwing in references to the movie, little in-jokes and stuff, like when they show Vera falling off her stool at the convenience store, and later, it's being reinforced with lug nuts. (Oh, and the way Beth Grant says "lug nuts" in the movie is hysterical, I crack up just thinking about it)

I'm not really sure which I prefer, the movie or the TV show, I'm just glad we have both! I thought Ty's scenes in the film dragged a bit, maybe because it was just monologues with his therapist. I'm enjoying his scenes on the show so much more. It probably doesn't hurt that Jason Dottley is so damn cute.

Rob

radrobd

[5]Aug 30, 2008

Hey Rob, thanks for posting, for a while there, I thought I'd be the only one, LOL

Here's a review I posted on imdb.com comparing the TV series to the movie...

Having watched the first 5 episodes of the TV series before watching the movie, I thought I'd compare the two and share my thoughts.

#1) Personally, I like the series much better. I think it's better suited for a TV format. The movie was funny at first, but then got a little heavy-handed towards the end. With the series, it's pure sitcom with some heart thrown in, but not nearly as preachy. Plus, I like the comedy-soap opera element of the series.

#2) Characters. One thing that struck me immediately watching the movie after seeing the series is how different some of the characters are. It seems that Sissy is toned down during the TV show. I actually like her character a lot. In the movie, she's cussing up a storm and gossiping but in a bad way by talking bad about people. On the show, she cusses occassionally and gossips, but generally seems sweet. Noleta on the show (played by Caroline Rhea) is hysterical. Well, I like Delta, Caroline is better suited for the role. I like her soap fantasies with her vibrator. Plus, Caroline's Noleta doesn't have kids. Ty's ex, Sara, is sweet in the movie, but on the show she's a crazy neurotic witch. Latrelle in the movie is so prim and proper, but on the show she's a pill-popping addict. Ty in the series is a little more effeminate than Ty in the movie. Apparently, Del Shores cast his real-life partner to play Ty on TV, but, while Jason Dottley is cute enough, his portrayal of Ty having a hard time coming out doesn't really ring true because he's already so effeminate. Kirk Geiger toned it down and played him more straight acting, which seemed to ring true in the confusion. I really don't get that at all from Jason Dottley's Ty, who seems to have come out of the closet already ages ago.

#3) Overuse of movie characters in the TV series. It seems like Del Shores has overpopulated his TV show with a lot of minor characters from the movie. I think he should have drawn the line. Peggy and her family are, of course, very prominent in the movie and should be featured in the TV show, as well as the Nethercotts (G.W. and Noleta). BUT, you don't have to put everybody in. Watching the TV show first, I was overwhelmed by so many characters. Then, I realized most were in the movie. But translating it to TV, Del should have left many out - most notably, Bumper (very small part in movie, but more prominently featured in TV), Ethel, Dr. Eve, the bar gang (Odell, Wardell, Juanita), Ty's ex, Sara. While most of the same actors reprised their roles, it seems that Del just wanted to reunite everyone for the series, but its too much and dilutes the ensemble of the main stars. Bumper really had such a small part in the movie, but he's a lot more developed in the series. I guess, that's because Mitch Carter played the original G.W. in the stage production (same with Mary-Margaret Lewis as the original Latrelle, who's now Ethel in the movie and series). Maybe Del thought he would do them a favor by giving them a regular role, but it doesn't translate well. The one who I really don't like is Dr. Eve. She was somewhat funny in the movie, but seeing her every week on TV, she just not that funny.

#4) Olivia Newton-John. I was surprised at how small a role she played in the actual movie, considering she has a larger storyline in the series. In the movie, all she did was sing, with a few lines here and there. But on the series, she has a backstory and everything.

#5) Recycled lines. It seems that the TV series recreates a lot of the same lines and scenes from the movie. Granted, a lot of people who watched the series, may not have watched the movie, so it may be new to them. (That's what happened to me). But the TV series is supposed to be a sequel to the movie, yet a lot of scenes from the movie are lifted and then pasted into the series.

#6) Peggy. In the movie, we didn't really see her, except in the coffin. But from the other character's description of her, she "cut loose" the last six months of her life. On the show, Rue plays her very prim and proper, similar to her Aunt Fran character from "Mama's Family". Granted, I like Rue, but her portrayal of Peggy is different than what the movie portrays. On the TV show, even after her affair with G.W. hasn't seemed to loosen her up as much as described in the movie. She still seems a little uptight.

Edited on 08/29/2008 11:06pm

robbroder

[6]Aug 30, 2008

The TV series is actually a prequel to the movie, not a sequel. The show takes place a couple of years before the movie. Which is why Peggy hasn't yet started to "cut loose the last six months of her life". We still have that to look forward to, assuming that the show isn't cancelled, which I really hope it isn't!

Rob

rhonddavalli

[7]Jul 22, 2010
    • level: 1

Ive only just became a fan of this fabulous show thanks to film 24, why oh why dont they commission another series

Rebecca0630

[8]Sep 19, 2012
    This is the craziest show I have seen. It had me hooked from the first episode and although I dislike some of the content I have watched almost all episodes, watching the last two tonight. I wish there were more episodes and yes, there should be another series.

Rebecca0630

[9]Sep 19, 2012

Just finished watching the last 2 episodes and I don't really like the ending. It kind of leaves you wondering exactly what happens to everyone. Yes, you know Noleta and the other lady went to jail, that lady appeared to have stopped taking pills and her son broke up with the guy, and it looked like Peggy hit her head and was killed. But, it just seems like you have to assume what actually happened to everyone. It would be nice if there was at least one more season to show what really happened to everyone... where did 'brother boy' go? Did Noleta and the other lady get out of jail and what did they do now? Did Peggy get killed and if so, did J.W. go back to Noleta? Did she ever really kill him or did they end up staying together or just splitting up? I happen to have really liked watching this show and would love to see more.

I watched this on Netflix and it had the whole series and then a movie titled Daddy's Dying Where's the Will? So I ended up watching the entire series and then the movie. Some of the characters seemed to be there, but it was totally different than the show. They just mention about Earl being sent away, but they say he's in reform school, not anything about him being in a mental hospital. I didn't notice there being a Peggy in the show, unless the lady who went to California with the 'hippie' was supposed to be the same character. The characters in the movie seemed more toned down, except for Bitsy who was more wild at times in the movie. It appeared this movie would have been what happened before the series.

Edited on 09/19/2012 9:49pm