Soul Food Forums

Showtime (ended 2004)

"Soul Food - The Series: The Complete Second Season" is Coming August

thatrudiva

[21]Aug 6, 2007
    • level: 4
    ImSoN2U wrote:
    Not only has the music been changed but some episodes have been edited from its original network airings.
    Do you guys know why they did this? I am a little concerned about buying it because of this news.
    Edited on 08/06/2007 1:02pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

soulfood2dvd

[22]Aug 7, 2007
    • level: 11

I probably should have gone out to the store and bought my copy, but when I ordered another DVD I placed my order for Soulfood. I'm so happy it's FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY OUT!!! I hope we won't have to wait long for season 3.

Make sure you all run out and buy your copy of season 2 today please!!! This way we won't have to wait too long for the next release.

soulfood2dvd

[23]Aug 7, 2007

thatrudiva wrote:
    ImSoN2U wrote:
    Not only has the music been changed but some episodes have been edited from its original network airings.
    Do you guys know why they did this? I am a little concerned about buying it because of this news.

This is not uncommon. Miami Vice did this to their DVD release. Music clearance. In addition, another show had to do this. Plus In Living Color did a lot of editing of their releases. From what I understand, when it came time to get music rights for some of the artist that appeared, more money was demanded. So they scrapped some of the music appearances, and edited them out of the DVD release. It sucks, but I will get over it. Honestly did not see the show when it aired orginally, and so I probably won't notice it too much.

thatrudiva

[24]Aug 7, 2007
    soulfood2dvd wrote:

thatrudiva wrote:
    ImSoN2U wrote:

This is not uncommon. Miami Vice did this to their DVD release. Music clearance. In addition, another show had to do this. Plus In Living Color did a lot of editing of their releases. From what I understand, when it came time to get music rights for some of the artist that appeared, more money was demanded. So they scrapped some of the music appearances, and edited them out of the DVD release. It sucks, but I will get over it. Honestly did not see the show when it aired orginally, and so I probably won't notice it too much.

My concern is not the music edits but the content edits. I am hoping that they don't cut out alot. Please let me know for those who purchase a copy.

soulfood2dvd

[25]Aug 8, 2007
    thatrudiva wrote:
    soulfood2dvd wrote:

thatrudiva wrote:
    ImSoN2U wrote:

My concern is not the music edits but the content edits. I am hoping that they don't cut out alot. Please let me know for those who purchase a copy.

I won't get my copy for another week, I ordered online, but I will see if there is a difference. One of my friends tried to hook me up with a copy of two years ago, but it was not clear, but saw enough to be able to compare.

SoulFoodSista

[26]Aug 10, 2007
    • level: 2
    I was very happy to get the 2nd Season of Soul Food on DVD, however this is NOT the COMPLETE Season as it was with Season 1. Season 2 is chopped up and is edited. Even though I did not watch Soul Food when it came on Showtime, I could still tell that things had been altered. I caught up on BET and just put 2 and 2 together. I guess we have to take the good and the bad. I hope they don't do this with other seasons.

thatrudiva

[27]Aug 10, 2007
    SoulFoodSista wrote:
    I was very happy to get the 2nd Season of Soul Food on DVD, however this is NOT the COMPLETE Season as it was with Season 1. Season 2 is chopped up and is edited. Even though I did not watch Soul Food when it came on Showtime, I could still tell that things had been altered. I caught up on BET and just put 2 and 2 together. I guess we have to take the good and the bad. I hope they don't do this with other seasons.

This is unfortunately why I can not buy the DVD because that will like buying something that I really don't want. Love the show but its not worth my money. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

SoulFoodSista

[28]Aug 10, 2007
    • level: 2
    Well you can still buy it, you aren't missing information that will leave you clueless. It's still worth getting.

Sideem

[29]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 5
    One scene I know that was missing right off the bat was the one where Bird comforts Teri after she has one of her panic attacks. This was made glaringly obvious when Bird blurts out in front of Maxine about the attacks and Maxine is upset because Bird knew about it but she didn't.

I'm pissed off about that...and a couple other scenes I noticed were missing but what can you do. Plus the packaging was cheaply done. But you take the good with the bad, I guess.

skyvolt2000

[30]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 27
    For future reference-do what I do. Buy a DVD Recorder and tape shows as they air. It's a hassle, but if all they are going to do is release dvds without extras and edits, I can keep my money and do it myself.

PrCGg

[31]Aug 28, 2007
    • level: 3

I bought it and everything seemed to be intact except for the "previously on Soul Food" intros and that one episode where Lem dragged Bird out of the club (I believe its on Disc One) - you could tell that the music she was dancing to was one of the replacement edits. I thought the packaging was genius, its much better than the first season. And even though these studios are really trippin' about replacing music and editing shows from its original broadcast, at least CBS Home Entertainment has the decency to tell the customer what's up. And theretelling the customers what's up on shows such as "EverybodyHates Chris" and "Girlfriends" as well.

camrih

[32]Oct 8, 2007
    • level: 1
    Well, I have finished the seond season and I can't wait for the third!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!