South Park

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Nov 02, 2011 on Comedy Central

• RIP Clyde Frog :'(

"1%"

Grade: A*

Well, here it is. Another milestone episode for South Park, in which Cartman has to the reality of growing up. After being announced as the worst performing physically educated student in South Park Elementary, Cartman thinks everyone is going after him, including his beloved childhood stuffed animals and favourite toy, Clyde Frog, in a seemingly shocking twist of showing the audience a new, dark and twisted side of Cartman, as well as the integrity of his own ego.

With the subplot parodying the Occupy Wall Street movement, being from England, I didn't really get most of the jokes, although I found it funny when the fifth graders started to butt-in with the four graders in terms of fighting over the 83% and 1% market. It starts off funny with Cartman being accused of letting everyone down and being part of the 1%, when no-one else doesn't want to be part of it, but it wasn't as good as the Cartman plot in my opinion, with the best joke being the "Occupied" bathroom for me. Not saying it wasn't good, but maybe after a few reruns, I'll get it more.

When Cartman's toys start getting killed off, such as his beloved Clyde Flog (and even hosting a special funeral for him), as well as Peter Panda being burned alive and saying goodbye in Cartman's mind, somehow managed to make me sad. I guess it's because we remember these toys from Season 1, and it's strange to see how the show has changed over the last 15 years.

With the big finale of Cartman trying to keep the other toys alive in Token's house, failing to save Muscle Man and Rumpertumskin, in a clever twist, it is revealed that Cartman is actually behind everything, with Polly Prissypants being used as the last toy alive to trick himself into killing the toys so that he can grow up without feeling bad about himself. In a slightly tearjerking moment, Polly Prissypants says her final goodbyes to Cartman, as Cartman blows her away with the magnum and ends up bursting into tears. The boys and Token's parents have been watching the whole event too, and are seemingly shocked and devastated by what has happened too.

Overall, I'm amazed that South Park can still be quite haunting and manage to make me feel emotional about Cartman and his toys. It's hard to feel sympathy for a character who is usually a jerk, but this time, I actually felt something about him. I enjoyed it alot and it was great closure, although seeing Clyde Frog dead was quite hearbreaking somehow. Keep the dark tone and comedy up, Trey and Matt. You still have some creativity in there!