South Park

Chef Goes Nanners

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jul 05, 2000 on Comedy Central

• Rather than discuss this episode, I would like to discuss a single moment in this episode, which I have remembered and talked about again and again since I first saw it.

Wendy and Cartman work together the entire episode, and end up hitting it off. Wendy passes it off as sexual tension from being so close for so long. In order to ease this tension, she kisses him.

Which brings us to the single shining moment. It is the last shot of the episode. Wendy lets Cartman down, and he pretends he agrees. Then, she leaves the frame, Cartman faces towards the camera, sighs, and looks downward. In this moment, when Cartman is alone, with no one around to affect his behavior, and no other motives to suggest that he is fabricating the emotion, we can see his disappointment. Simply and completely. This moment gives us insight into the TRUE Cartman, and the humanity that indeed does lie within. Cartman is one of the most multi-dimensional characters on television, and this single moment is one of the best on the show.

For this, I applaud greatly. Well done.
COMEDY