A South Park Community
Wednesday 10:00 PM on Comedy Central (Returning 2016)

OH MY GOD, THEY F*CKED UP!

South Park blew its first major deadline in 17 seasons after South Park Studios lost power for several hours yesterday—that's why series creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker are looking so ashamed and distressed in the photo above. For 13 years, the series has started each new episode six days prior to the episode's air date—there's even an entire documentary about the process—which is awesome not only because it allows the show to respond quickly to real-world news that happens while it's in season, but also because it's so true to life. Be honest, who's ever started writing a paper more than a week before it's due? This is the first time since the series premiered that it's been unable to complete an episode on time, which means tonight's episode is now a rerun and the new episode, "Goth Kids 3: Dawn of the Posers," will air next week. There's probably a lesson to be learned here, but only missing a deadline once in 17 seasons? Keep up the good works, guys! [South Park Studios]

BUSINESS TIME

... XOXO, Astronaut's Wife? Stephanie Savage, who co-created Gossip Girl with Josh Schwartz, is adapting Lily Koppel’s best-selling novel The Astronaut Wives for ABC. It'll be a 1960s-set "limited event series"—a.k.a. a miniseries—that explores the lives of the women behind NASA's early astronauts. So what's Blake Lively up to these days? [Deadline]

... Someone once told me that one man's trash is another man's treasure. He was a hobo, but I'm pretty sure he didn't make it up. And now it looks like NBC's been digging through CBS's trash, looking for literally anything it can use to save itself. The Peacock is resurrecting the failed 2007 pilot Babylon Fields, about a city whose dead return for inexplicable reasons. It has gone on to earn cult status since it failed to make the CBS team in '07, so everyone cross your fingers and hope that NBC found some treasure and not some moldy cheese in that dumpster. [Deadline]

... Remember when The CW banished Supernatural to Fridays? Those were dark days, a time when the only reason to watch was Jared Padalecki's hair and Jensen Ackles' face. Well, after airing on Wednesdays last season and making the move to Tuesdays this season, it's doing great. How great? Last night's combo of Supernatural and The Originals gave The CW its best Tuesday ratings among adults 18-49 in four years. I guess the lesson to be learned from all of this is to never underestimate the power of good-looking men who know their way around a bottle of hair conditioner. [The CW via press release]

... Doctor Who is being given the royal treatment in the lead-up to the series' 50th anniversary special. The Countess of Wessex is hosting a party at Buckingham Palace on November 18, with past and present cast and crew members of the long-running science fiction series expected to attend. Your move, Obama. [Radio Times]

... America Ferrera is ready to return to TV in Damascus, a new project that has received a put pilot commitment from CBS. Ferrera will star; she'll also co-executive-produce alongside Ugly Betty executive producer Teri Weinberg. The project sounds so ridiculous, though, that I'm going to let Deadline handle it: "[The project is] the story of a crusading nun (Ferrera) who practices law on behalf of the least fortunate, and has her beliefs tested when her life collides with an elitist corporate lawyer. As the two set out to help those in need of justice, they come up against a secretive and powerful organization that is determined to destroy them." Yep, there it is. [Deadline]

... ABC has ordered more scripts for The Goldbergs, says creator Adam Goldberg's Twitter. [Twitter]

... Attention cosplayers in both Atlanta and Los Angeles: Syfy wants you! The network has extended its reality series Heroes of Cosplay by six additional episodes, and producers are currently looking for passionate cosplayers to be featured in the series. Also, I'm in desperate need of a Halloween costume. Please e-mail me if you can be of some assistance. [Syfy via press release]

... NBC has given a presentation order to Mystery Island, an animated comedy from Ed Helms (The Office) and former Office writer-producer Graham Wagner. The project is set on an island after a cruise ship malfunctions and maroons all of its passengers. [Deadline]

CASTING NEWS

... Parks and Recreation alum Li'l Sebastian has joined Hart of Dixie. Scott Porter, who plays George Tucker on the southern dramedy, tweeted a picture from set. [Zap2It]

... Community's Yvette Nicole Brown has lined up a guest-starring gig on NBC's Welcome to the Family. She'll play Mrs. Peck, the Yoders' overbearing next-door neighbor, in the sixth episode of the season. This is bad news because it means NBC hasn't canceled the series yet, so there's still no open time slot for Community. [THR]

... Kerry Washington will host Saturday Night Live on November 2 with Eminem as her musical guest. Spoiler alert: There will probably be a lot of jokes about fixing things, and having secret relationships with the president. (I've never watched Scandal, but that's pretty much all it is, right?) [TV Line]

... Lotte Verbeek (The Borgias) has landed the role of Geillis Duncan in Ronald D. Moore's Outlander series on Starz. The character is described as being beautiful and dark, and an expert manipulator who's often referred to as a witch, thanks to her advanced knowledge of plants and herbs. Outlander is based on the book series by Diana Gabaldon. [Starz via press release]

...  Martin Donovan (Weeds) has been cast as the therapist of Laurence Fishburne's Jack Crawford on Hannibal. I can't decide if Hannibal casting is making me really, really excited for Season 2, or really, really sad that we have to wait until midseason for it.  [TV Line]

THANKS A LOT, LOST-IES

... Damon Lindelof, the co-creator and ruiner of Losthas quit Twitter. Now where will I go when I want to read snarky retweets from the Fancy Feast Twitter account? Who's going to cradle me to sleep at night while wearing Bieber's yellow spiked hat?! This is on you, Lost haters. All. On. You. [Variety]

*Not a definitive statement, up to personal interpretation.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/9/2015

Season 19 : Episode 10

Next Episode

AIRS ON 8/31/2016

Season 19 : Episode 11

30 Comments
Comments (30)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
So, on America Ferrera's new show does the nun fly? Oh, wait, it's not on NBC? Nevermind.
Flag
Ehh to back up Supernatural and to be perfectly fair, it's ratings are up due to not only changing days and timeslots, which usually kills a show, but the writing has gotten infinitely better in the past season. Love seeing ratings represent actual quality for a change.
Flag
Staff
The series really turned around in the middle of Season 8. The introduction of the Men of Letters was the best idea the show has had in a long time.
Flag
Given how quickly South Park churns out episodes, I am willing to forgive it. I'm bummed cause now we have to wait again but when it's the first time it's happened, I can't hate them for it.
Flag
Why is it NBC cannot stop embarrassing themselves? Here's an idea, no animated shows that aren't on Saturday morning - they fail if they aren't on Fox and even then they often fail. No pilots from other networks until your own pilot development department can get their shit together to nurture something worth watching more than once a season. No making Community stars play cliche neighbors on other sitcoms.

NBC - where television goes to crap the bed.

Go home NBC, you're drunk.
Flag
I live in Culver City where they make South Park, not a mile from their offices, and it wasn't a true blackout, it was a driver who hit a local utility pole and only knocked out a very small area on our grid. The building had backup generators but they failed likely due to too much draw from South Park Studios itself. Honestly, this is kinda what they get for leaving it until the last minute for so long, and they shouldn't be congratulated for "only" missing a deadline once in 16 years, they are lazy and push it until the last minute every time to slack off instead, they are paid dump trucks of money to make an incredibly inexpensive show and they've had to lower their production numbers from 14 a year to 10 (across 2 seasons of 5!) because they want to slack off even more, and it should have bit them in the ass long before. Maybe if you don't want work to be stressful, don't leave writing until the last minute and then try to cram it all into one night.

- this rant brought to you by The old guy who is crotchety but is still right Foundation - 'you really should get off his lawn'.
More+
Flag
Dang. Everybody has a therapist on Hannibal.
Flag
Staff
But can you blame them?
Flag
when i first saw the south park news yesterday, i thought it was a joke too... long wait for new episodes and for the first time they miss a deadline... sad day for my humor

NBC is way too desperate... just make your schedule 5 days of Grimm each week lol... waiting for that to return, only thing on NBC i watch

Good for Supernatural, love that show.... and not because of the guys but because of the concept... though now it competes with NCIS & SHIELD and i like those too....
Flag
Gutted for the SP lads. But once in 17 years, I'm not gonna hold it against them. Their production schedule is unreal!
Flag
And here I thought South Park missing its deadline was a joke directed against the government shutdown. Guess I gave Parker and Stone too much credit.

As for NBC bringing Babylon Fields back from the dead (pun intended), I'm not sure it will work since ABC has a very similar miniseries premiering in the spring called Resurrection, which looks really great.
Flag
You b******* (at the power company); You killed Kenny!
Flag
Driver hit a utility pole. Also, you can say "bastards" all you want here. The "you" who killed Kenny? Matt & Trey.
Flag
South Park's six day creation process is outrageous.

No other show writes/voices/animates their show in 6 days. Tery Parker especially is an absurdly talented comedic writer.

Anyone interested I would really recommend "6 days to air" its on youtube and it very interesting.
Flag
what's Blake Lively up to? doing naughtymarried things to Deadpool/Green Lantern... I mean... Ryan Reynolds

I saw the Babylon Fields pilot, I actually liked it.. the problem with NBC doing it now is that Amber Tamblyn most likely won't be on it, and frankly that's the main reason I wanted to see it at all. the only reason NBC's thinking of this is because of how well The Returned did and because A&E is doing an American/English version of the show.
Flag
Isn't one of the networks doing something very similar too? I think it's supposed to start midseason? I know I've seen a pilot promo for it, but I can't remember what it was called.
Flag
Yeah, I think its on ABC. I don't remember what it's called, it starts with an R, and its got Red from the 70's show and Foreman from House in it. But its all just a re hash of Les Revenants, the 2004 French film, which spawned a 2012 French TV series of the same name which absolutely ROCKED! So no US "interpretation" is ever gonna measure up.
Highly recommend checking out the French show.
Flag
Resurrection - Scheduled for March on ABC.
Flag
so ABC and A&E are remaking the same show?
Flag
LOL @ SP! I hope they learned a lesson!
Flag
So, how many dead coming back to life shows are there going to be now?

Is there sitcom one where a dead kid moves back home to parents/single parent when he/she needs help raising their own lively, out-of-deadlock son/daughter or something? Too bad Honey Boo Boo is taken, that could be a good title for that.
Flag
Babylon Fields wasn't that bad for a pilot ...
Flag
Babylon Fields, seriously? We already have The Walking Dead.

And that Ed Helms pilot actually sounds promising, but it would need a solid ensemble. I'm uncertain about Helms being the star of anything.
Flag
I've never watched Scandal and probably definitely never will, but yay Eminem!!!!
Flag
you've never seen scandal? Whaaaa?
Flag
Staff
I know, I know. I've got a lot of TV to keep up with. It fell by the wayside after I fell asleep three times during the pilot. Though I know it got better in Season 2.
Flag
welcome to the family is a decent show, at least as of the pilot. i'm sure there are other shows that could be canceled ...ironside immediately comes to mind.
Flag
Staff
For reals.
Flag
Good. Twitter needs to just die.
Flag
I'm not going to get into another argument about LOST again!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members