South Park

Do the Handicapped Go to Hell? (1)

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Jul 19, 2000 on Comedy Central

• Along with Probably (2), this is probably my favorite episode of the season.

What can I say about this episode of South Park? One thing that definitely comes to mind is that like other episodes of the series, Matt and Trey aren't afraid to poke fun of various groups of people, thus proven with how they portrayed the Catholic religion in this episode.

The episode starts out with Cartman, Kyle, and Kenny in church with their parents. Priest Maxi, not liking the fact that the youth of the church are not wanting to take responsibility of their actions, decides to change his sermon slightly and decides to put the fear of fire and brimstone into the children's eyes. What I found funny about this was while the Priest was condemning Hell, Satan is in the middle of a huge party where the poor souls are having a blast.

It wasn't until the boys decided to stay at church for Sunday school that the story continued on its humorous ways multiplied. After the boys and the other children were discussing the importance of first communion and confession, and whether handicapped people go to heaven when they die; the part that I found to be priceless was when it was Cartman's turn to confess, the look on Priest Maxi's face was priceless when he heard of what the young man sins.

I thought it was somewhat mean on Priest Maxi's part to frighten the kids so much into thinking that everything they do is sinful, yet had a quite comical outcome. When the boys where rushing to church to confess their sins since their last confession, Kenny gets hit by a bus on its way to Mexico, thus scaring the remaining boys even more. But the looks on the boys faces when they found Priest Maxi in a compromising position with a female parishioner was priceless, especially when that resulted in Cartman deciding forming his own church, and ultimately becoming a power minister in it, causing the parents to begin worrying about their reactions.

However, the one draw back that I didn’t like about the episode that much was the subplot of Satan trying to decide between staying with his current boyfriend, or getting back together with Saddam. At first I found this to be quite comical, but as the plot wore on, it began to be painful to watch and I wished it got resolved faster than it did.

In all, I found this episode to be a great cliffhanger into the conclusion of “Probably”. I though that it was very productive of the boys and the rest of the children of the town to start their own religion after learning Priest Maxi’s dirty little secret. Again, this was one well written, hilarious episode.