South Park Forums

Wednesday 10:00 PM on Comedy CentralIn Season

Official episode discussion: "Raising the Bar" 16x09

LiveLife93

[1]Oct 1, 2012
    • level: 5

From Comedy Central Press Release:

CARTMAN FINALLY ADMITS HE'S FAT ON AN ALL-NEW "SOUTH PARK" PREMIERING ON WEDNESDAY,
    OCTOBER 3RD AT 10:00 P.M. ON COMEDY CENTRAL
    (or Friday October 5th in the UK)

--------
    Cartman becomes yet another obese person who gets a mobility scooter in an all-new episode of "South Park" titled, "RAISING THE BAR," premiering Wednesday, October 3rd at 10:00 p.m. on Comedy Central.

Cartman owns up to being fat and decides that driving around on a scooter is his right. Kyle sees that Cartman isn't the only one who finds no shame in his unhealthy lifestyle. Meanwhile, Cartman discovers he has a rival in America's Sweetheart, Honey Boo Boo.

Press image 1: http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/shared/downloads/images/season-16/1609/sp-1609-cartman-in-line.jpg

Press image 2: http://southparkstudios.mtvnimages.com/shared/downloads/images/season-16/1609/sp-1609-cartman-on-scooter.jpg

Preview clip: http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/?searchterm=raising+the+bar&submit=Find+Clips

Thoughts on this episode?

Edited on 10/01/2012 6:03pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

esotericgore

[2]Oct 1, 2012
    • level: 6
    This sounds great!!

Raccoon1459

[3]Oct 2, 2012
    • level: 22
    OMG, he finally admitted it! I am definitely watching this one!

bag2218

[4]Oct 3, 2012
    • level: 12
    And the genius keeps on coming. Way to go Matt and Trey XD

antdude

[5]Oct 3, 2012
    • level: 27
    Hilarious. Way better than last week's! Too many subplots though!
    Edited on 10/04/2012 12:09pm

Raccoon1459

[6]Oct 4, 2012
    • level: 22
    My mom has been trying to get me to watch Honey Boo Boo. I choose not to. I thank Matt and Trey for showing us how ridiculous she looks. And can someone explain to me what James Cameron was trying to say at the end?

Bionetic

[7]Oct 5, 2012
    • level: 8
    James Cameron was just trying to say that he doesn't do what he does for himself, but he does what he does cause that's who he is. Truthfully, I think they were probably trying to score points with James Cameron for some reason or another. Is the level of hypocrisy in this episode lost to everyone. South Park, one of the most immoral shows out there is criticizing other shows about being immoral. There blaming Clinton for lowering the bar and Honey Boo Boo and obese people, but technically the entire show profits from doing blatantly immoral things. What's worse is they try to blur the fine line between morality and immorality by making a moral arguement and then condoning something immoral on the basis that it's ok to do because their intention is to use immorality to promote morality. In this episode for instance they are saying they want to fight obesity amongst other things, and so because they want to do this it's ok for kids to tip over fat people in moot scooters as a form of protest. This show has encouraged bullying, racism, borderline pedophilia, they basically profit off of other peoples misery. I remember one episode where they ask the question, how long does someone have to wait for it to be ok to make fun of AIDS. If they want to look at who lowered the bar all they need to do is look in the mirror. Of course they seem to suggest they are aware of how hypocritical their entire arguement is at the end of the episode, but at doesn't make it any better. If they really care so much about raising the bar all they have to do is show alittle more social conscoiusness on the show. They have perfect pulpit to do so, their show. They could try to show more social responsibility in regards to what they portray and how the portray it. It might not be as profitable, but it would go a long way to help raising the bar. I mean as offended as i become sometimes, i still find the commentary interesting. Thats why i watch the show, but at the same time they shouldn't pretend to be some moral authority. It just pisses me off.

LiveLife93

[8]Oct 11, 2012
    • level: 5

Finally managed to watch this episode!

Overall I liked it, it had a few laughs. I have never seen Honey Boo Boo in my life (in fact, I have no clue who she is), but I am glad I have never seen it from how this episode depicted (I know it is an exagerrated portrayal, but I am sure it is as bad as South Park makes it out to be!).

Pros:

Cartman admitting he's fat.

I laughed at Randy Newman's song for Token's "documentary".

It was nice to see other characters like Token and Craig.

I liked that Kyle saw that the documentary was wrong after having a bit of a moral crisis (which was somewhat continuity with the "Crack Baby Athletic Association" episode when Kyle was debating between money and what's right).

I liked that Stan and Kyle actually had a few of scenes together (we haven't seen their friendship in a while really!).

Cons:

The James Cameron bits just felt unecessary to me and it wasn't funny in my opinion.

Edited on 10/11/2012 8:50am