South Park

Red Sleigh Down

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Dec 11, 2002 on Comedy Central

• 2nd best christmas episode.

red sleigh down was a very unique and terrific episode. i do not really enjoy the south park christmas episodes but this one was a really high episode for me. Jesus getting killed really shocked me somehow. the setting was not that good but the humor and the character development was very well done. red sleigh down was an another enhancement for season six. wow season six is terrific. great to see kenny back again to life. i gave this episode a nine out of ten because it could not reach the ten out of ten potential. the execution of this episode deserves an eight point five out of ten.

overall, fantastic episode. recommended.
  • It's Christmas time in South Park again and for those who can't wait to see Kenny return or to see Jesus killing Iraqis, this episode is ideal.

In this episode Cartman has to redeem himself for a year of evil by doing "the nicest thing anyone has ever done" so he decides to bring Christmas to Iraq with the help of Jesus, Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo and of course Santa. As a very funny sub - plot; Jimmy the kid with cerebral palsy is singing the "12 Days of Christmas" at the annual tree - lighting ceremony and with his chronic stutter it takes longer than expected. (Yes, i hate myself for thinking it's funny too.)

This is probably the first Christmas episode of South Park that isn't totally sugar - coated; there's violence, scenes of torture and death and even our savious Jesus dying and Santa getting his genitals shocked. These scenes aren't intended to be funny but give us a break from the cliché - ridden Christmas episodes from other TV shows (Although the moral lesson at the end is touching.)

As far as humour goes; we see some cruel jabs at Iraq which is cruel but funny especially since their language is depicted as gibberish but apart from that the jokes are pretty much the standard South Park gags. As it's a Christmas episode; the Writers have been very generous with the appearances of the side characters: People like Chef's parents, Ned Gerblanksy, Big Gay Al, The Underpants Gnomes and Dr. Mephisto who are the definitions of minor chracters all appear in this episode, our beloved Kenny returns in ironic circumstances and Santa is given his most prominent appearance since the Jesus. Vs. Santa short. Although there is the element of loss too; Jesus is killed off and Mr. Hankey hasn't been seen since this episode. As far as looks go Red Sleigh Down is very good but the crowd scenes have awful continuity. The vocals are alright; Trey Parker has expanded his range by using a very high - pitched voice (Mr. Hankey), voicing a character being excruciatingly tortured (Santa) and playing someone like Cartman would naturally be difficult as he's such a complex kid. While Trey Parker has more aptitude as a voice artist; his friend and fellow creator, writer and voice actor Matt Stone has had more stability in his voices over time as Parker's sound terribly different nowadays.

All in all; Red Sleigh Down is a prime example of why South Park is a legendary series.
  • 96th Episode

7.9
    This Christmas episode is nowhere near as good as Woodland Critter Christmas but it is funny and has some great moments like Santa's "I couldn't do it, I couldn't let him live!" and Cartman desperately wanting to be nice.

The episode also brings back Kenny but makes little sense because the other boys act like they haven't seen him in a while even though half of season 6 had Kenny inside Cartman but making sense is something South Park usually try to steer away from anyway so it does have humour with it.

The fact that going to the North Pole, going to Jesus, saving Santa and escaping takes the same amount of time that Jimmy singing "The twelve days of Christmas" takes is very amusing but gets annoying aswell.

Overall, this is both funny and annoying but most of it is pretty good and is worth watching.
  • One of my all-time favorite episodes.

Cartman knows he has been bad this year and has to do something super nice to be able to get the present he wants from Santa. He desides to try to deliver presents to Iraq. With the help of Mr. Hankey, Cartman, Kyle, and Stan go to the North Pole where Santa loves Cartman's idea. However, Santa's sleigh is shot down and all the reindeer die. The Iraq's capture Santa where they torture him, trying to make him tell what the Americans are planing. The Underpants Gnome's let Mr. Hankey, Cartman, Stan, and Kyle use Santa's second sleigh and they go get Jesus. Meanwhile, Jimmy is singing his favorite Christmas song, which is taking forever. Jesus, Mr. Hankey, and the kids rescue Santa, but Jesus is shot and killed. Santa uses Christmas rockets to blast Christmas to the Iraqs. They go home where Jimmy has finished his song, but the town's Christmas tree's lights are dead. Santa makes a speech to the town of South Park, telling them Christmas should be about remembering how Jesus had saved him. Then he uses a rocket to make the Christmas tree beautiful again and tells Stan, Cartman, and Kyle to look under the towns Christmas tree and they discover Santa has given all three of them the present Cartman wanted. Cartman is mad that Stan and Kyle also got the present he wanted. All of a sudden, Kenny reappears after being gone for a whole season and 1 episode and the four bys walk away.
  • Good episode with Santa, Jesus, and the Underpants Gnomes.

This was a classic episode, one of my favorite
    episodes of this show ever. Cartman figures that he has to put on a "good boy," to make sure he gets the gift he wants from Santa. Cartman was a horrible person all year round, He decides the way to do to get his gift is to bring Christmas to empoverished children in Iraq. Great scene where Santa gets shot down over Iraq and to quote Santa, "No, not Santa's balls!" The boys and Jesus find Santa captured. In this great scene Jesus whoops some serious Az.In the freeing process of Santa Jesus is killed. Santa goes back and tells the people of South Park that Christmas will from now on be a day to remember Jesus. A hilarious way to make fun of people who forgot the real meaning of Christmas.
    The boys end up getting the gifts they wnated.
    Great episode.
  • Very funny episode. Cartmen trys to redeam himself in time from Christmas but instead causing even more trouble by trying to bring Christmas to Iraq. Brings in a few quotes from the pilot epiode(Santa vs frosty). A very good episode to finish off the seri

I very much enjoyed this episode and i thought it has some good jokes in it. One thing I would say is the the joke with jimmy does get a bit exusted if the episode is watched a second time. Overall a great episode, I enjoyed it very much. Typical Cartman wanting somthing and trying to do anything he can to get it.
  • LAME AND BORING!

LAME AND BORING! References too many asinine action films, the joke with Jimmy singing gets old, as is the Santa/Jesus alliance. And adding the mean Iraqis was just a pointless grab at current events. I kept waiting for it to be funny, but instead it was like watching a poorly animated "Lethal Weapon" rip-off. Actually, that's what it was! My least favorite episode.
  • Cartman realizes that won't be on Santa's list of good children, so he decides to try and make up for it in one night.

This was a great episode. We see Cartman putting on an act to ensure that he will get the gift he wants for Christmas, considering what a little brat he's been for the year. He decides the way to do this is to bring Christmas to the poor little children in Iraq. I found this installment to be hilarious and Santa was really cracking me up when he was kidnapped by some Iraqis after his sleigh went down. To quote Santa, "No, not Santa's balls!" When the boys find out Santa is captured, they turn to Jesus to help save him. Jesus is killed in the process and Santa comes back and tells the people of South Park that Christmas will from now on be seen as a day to remember Jesus. A pretty funny and clever way to poke fun at those who have forgotten the acutal origin of the holiday. Trey and Matt did us well with this one. Bringing back Kenny unexpectedly at the end was great and it was done in perfect South Park fashion. Stan says to Kenny, "Kenny? Where the hell have you been?" Kenny replies, "I was just over there." What better way to bring Kenny back than in a fashion that ignores the previous two seasons? This is a highly reccomended episode.
COMEDY