South Park

The Coon

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Mar 18, 2009 on Comedy Central

• Who is Mysterion, seriously?

"The Coon"

Grade: A

One of the funniest and best parodies of Dark Knight and Watchmen. South Park's The Coon had you guessing, and tricked you at the end cleverly with no resolution, but nevertheless the episode was well plotted, had good quotes, and funny moments.

The story begins narrating from Cartman about a superhero who stays at night cleaning up the garbage, dressed as a raccoon, called "The Coon", who incorrectly mistakes crimes at non-issues (people kissing normally as "raping" for example). "The Coon" tells the police about the town's situation of South Park. "The Coon" is of course Cartman, but nobody cares or wants to know who his real identity actually is.
    The next morning, Cartman does a presentation on "The Coon" and tells him if they want to meet him, then they tell them to meet him on the rooftop. Cartman as "The Coon" shows up, and discovers another person in a costume. This person claims to be "Mysterion" and Cartman assumes its Kyle, Craig, or Clyde. Mysterion never reveals himself and guesses "The Coon" to be Cartman straight away because "he's fat".
    Cartman, annoyed by the next day, of not knowing who Mysterion is, decides to focus on setting up a "Coonicon" on where "The Coon" shows at at a comic-con like convention. Nobody shows up and the staff already know who he is, which annoys him.
    At night, Cartman notices Mysterion telling the police about the status of the town, and confronts Mysterion to stop and reveal himself. Mysterion throws some fireworks on the floor to get away, and Cartman says they are illegal in Colorado.
    Back at school, Cartman questions everyone on who Mysterion is (with Wendy opening a possibility of Mysterion being a girl as well) and doesn't find the answer, so he decides to go to one person who might know the answers: Professor Chaos.
    At Professor Chaos' hideout (Butters) Cartman wants to get rid of Mysterion, but Chaos doesn't know if he should trust him. They decide to team up and Chaos claims to be getting closer in finding who Mysterion is, again also looking on who "The Coon" is (with only 3 identities to pick from, one of them being Cartman). Cartman has a plan to get rid of Mysterion once and for all.
    Meanwhile, Mysterion enters Kyle's bedroom and asks for his help, due to being the "smartest kid in the class", and needs some information from him.
    "The Coon" and "Chaos" are at a hospital with explosives (similar to The Dark Knight) and demand that Mysterion reveals himself, otherwise the hospital will blow up. Mysterion shows up and asks Chaos why he is doing this. Mysterion and Chaos end up in a small fight, when Mysterion seemingly is "killed". Mysterion gets back up and "The Coon" shows up, telling him he wants to stop Professor Chaos as well, and they hit him on the nose, making his nose bleed and run away as a result.
    "The Coon" tells Mysterion that he needs to reveal his identity, because the longer he doesn't, the more crimes will be comitted due to wanting to find out his identity, and for the "greater good". Mysterion reveals himself at the end, but because his/her face is similar to every one in South Park, there's still no way of knowing who it is. Cartman goes "I knew it was you" and Mysterion gets arrested for being a vigilante, allowing "The Coon" to stay as the main superhero of South Park.

So this episode was very good, and the music they used on it worked to demonstrate the atmosphere of super hero movies, as well as using it in the tone of South Park. Full of good jokes, references, and a workable plot. "The Coon" is a pretty good episode, and is not to be missed.
  • south park has two good episodes in a row!?

I can't believe it either. South park has two strong episodes in a row. Im bewildered, bamboozled, baffled. Its some crazy stuff. I loved the superhero idea and It had a lot of references to dark knight with a sprinkle of watchmen in it with cartmans Rorschach like talking. Having butters as professor chaos and the other kid as general disarray was very welcome, and people mistaking cartmans secret identity, the coon, for bruce villanch was funny. There also was a hilarious poster of bar obama ack that said change on it and then spray-painted below it it said "when?". South park just may be back on track after a sub-par 12th season.
  • Cartman tries to fight crime as the Coon

In this episode Cartman become a crimefighter know as the Coon. But no one knows the Coon so Cartman tries to tell everyone then the Coon meets Mysterion who thinks he is a crimefighter and then everyone loves Mysterion. Then cartman tries to find out who is Mysterion. It can't be Kyle,Token,Timmy,Jimmy I think is Kenny. Then The Coon joins forces with Professor Chaos and General Dissoray. They Professor Chaos tells everyone that they're are going to blow up a hostpit then Mysterion comes out then the Coon makes him tell who he is and then Mysterion takes off his mask but you can't tell who he is that Sucks. If he die we will know it is Kenny
  • A great take on all our favourite comic book heroes (and possibly villians)

One young citizen (who we shall call Cartman) takes it upon himself to maintain order during a time of despair in South Park. "The Coon" rises from the trash and takes his place as a lone vigilante who wipes out crime in the town of South Park. A rival superhero appears on the scene in the form of "Mysterion" and challenges the Coon's place as a "symbol" for the town. The question is, who is Mysterion? This episode does have some red-herrings to divert us from obtaining the truth. It's someone in the clas$ but as Wendy points out "How are you so sure Mysterion is a boy?"
    So I guess we will never know who Mysterion is.

Great episode :]
  • Cartman has watched The Dark Knight one time too much, while he tries to figure out who Mysterion really is. With a little help of Professor Chaos and General Dissoray

A good episode, but not as interesting as the previous one.

I don't like it when a South Park episode evolves around one storyline in particular, and though it was good to see Butter's alter ego and his minions again, it couldn't keep me interested. Maybe because it wouldn't be a big shocker if we would have found out who Mysterion was anyway.

What made it good, was that it was a Cartman-centric episode and his disappearing act at the police station was priceless too. And last but not least, you have to admit: the kid knows how to immitate Batman's screwed up low voice.
  • I was surprised that the superhero Mysterion wasn't actually Kenny, seeing how quiet he is. I was disappointed not to see Kenny randomly say, "It's me, idiot!"

You've asked for it in your mind, but not directly to the creators of South Park. A small and minor parody of Watchmen, The Dark Knight, and The Spirit which I believe I haven't seen. There may be some small parodies of Iron Man and Spider-man 3 but that's pretty much it.

The season so far is going great for South Park, unlike the previous season which wasn't all much enjoyable seeing the lack of parodies on recent events besides Obama's election episode, which was terrible in my opinion, just remembering it and expecting a little different than Obama and Mccain stealing a friggin' diamond. I mean.. what? This episode, along with the Jonas Brothers episode which I can't name at the moment, shows South Park is improving it's structure and is getting back into the game, but better.

Cartman, and an unknown superhero are attempting to save the world from unnoticeable evil. Cartman, who claims he started the whole superhero thing in South Park, wants to unmask the other superhero who is ruining everything for him. What he doesn't know what that no one know who Cartman, or the Coon was from the start. Mysterion just seems to be a cooler superhero than Cartman. The battle goes off, and this also brings Butters in it! Yay!
  • stupid Cartmen!! "the coon" another strong season lool

i loved this episode, hahaha will written, i like the beginning when Erik where like talking with him self and jumping through walls, and specially at the Plice dept. hahaha ge's just stupid.
    and when another hero came to the town and Erik were like pissed hahaha that was hilarious. anything just to get some fame, he made an event and no one came hahaha all the heroes of the town appeared even dr.Cayuse hahahaha
    but the best scene was like when mysterious wanted to reveal his identity, and when they took off his mask !!!! u didnt know who!! like who was him Stan Kenny ????? it was anyone's face lool
  • A mysterious hero known as 'The Coon' (actually Cartman) proclaims himself as South Park's savoir, but no-one wants him. Then another hero, 'Mysterion', comes along and everyone loves him. The Coon plans to get rid of his rival. A great episode...

In my review for 'The Ring' last week, I wished for a Cartman or a Randy story this week. And I got my wish! Not only that, but what a good episode. Although 'The Ring' was alright, 'The Coon' would have served far better as the season opener in my opinion.

The episode perfectly spooks the 'dark comic book movies', of which there seems to be a lot arond at the moment. Both The Coon and Mysterion's low, growly voices are a perfect take on Christian Bale's 'Batman'.

I would say that this is the best 'South Park' episode for quite while (taking into account some of the so-so episodes from last season), and it had me laughing out loud at a number of points – something that TV shows haven't been able to do for a while.

I love how the townsfolk (especially the Police) don't care about The Coon, but all embrace Mysterion, and how Cartman tries to talk up The Coon by no-one cares!

The episode also marks the return of Professor Chaos (Butters) and his sidekick General Disarray (Dougie), the first time they have been seen in quite a while. Although at first I was worried that it would descend into a generic Cartman-and-Butters story, thankfully things tied up nicely in the end.

Without giving anything away (!), the story's ending, with the unmasking of Mysterion, is perfect, and only something like 'South Park' could try and pull something off like that and get away with it.

Also amusing is the title – Coon is of course a racist term, but there was no mention of this in the episode; maybe the joke is that no-one commented on it.

As much as I like this episode, it probably isn't one of my all-time favourite 'Cartman stories' (there are a number of other candidates for that). But for a show that has had mixed quality episodes after the year or so, this episode stood out as being a really good one, and I really hope to see more of this quality in the coming season.

• great great great

One young citizen takes it upon himself to maintain order during a time of despair in South Park. "The Coon" rises from the trash and takes his place as a lone vigilante who wipes out crime in the town of South Park. A rival superhero appears on the scene in the form of "Mysterion" and challenges the Coon's place as a "symbol" for the town. Cartman holds his event, COONICON '09, at the Airport Hilton. This is also the location he used for his ginger pride rally in "Ginger Kids," as well as his AIDS benefit in "Tonsil Trouble."A very good episode. Top 20 easily.

Now, where's that Randy story... =)
  • Eric Cartman tries to become a beacon of hope for South Park, by becoming a disguised superhero named the coon. However his attempt at this fails when he comes into competition with another masked vigilante named Mysterion

I found this episode to be one of the best South park episodes from the last two season. I really liked the premise of Cartman becoming a superhero for South Park, but failing in his approach when Mysterion comes onto the scene. Who like Cartman is disguised as a hero. This was a great approach taken by Trey Parker and Matt Stone and their writers, really. I love how they homage "The Dark Knight" and "Watchmen" in this episode. Not much else to say about it but that it was an awsome episode and that I would love to see more of these episodes to come.
  • Who is mysterion?

When a super hero named the coon (obviously Eric Cartmen) is one upped by a mysterious hero named mysterion, Cartmen (and the rest of the audience) will go through great lengths to figure out the true identity of Mysterion.
    This episode gives South Park something fresh and original all the way into its 13th season. While this may not be the funniest episode ever, its cleaver writting more then make up for it. At the end of the episode viewers will be left with the question, "who is mysterion?" (Not to give away the ending)
    Believe it or not there are enough clues in the episode to figure out who mysterion is, but it will likely take multiple views of this episode to solve the mystery because it is not easy. This is good because it makes rewatching this episode also fun as we try to figure out the question, "who is mysterion?"
  • Not your usual Superhero Parody episode.

Usually, with episodes such as these, I gripe about the lack of verbal comedy. In superhero parody episodes, the writers tend to get too caught up in the story and the action to remember to be funny. Then the episode starts to resemble an action show hiding behind a wall of spoof then a spoof show working with the action.

"The Coon" does care about its story, but never forgets is comedic roots, ensuring that not 30 seconds goes by without a joke or gag. The action scenes appear to exist to set up jokes rather than the jokes existing as an excuse for the action. The inclusion of Professor Chaos was a nice touch as well, for fans (I believe) are more comfortable with a familiar character so they can more willingly accept the story into the South Park cannon (what's left of it with all the plot-holes generated by 13 years' running time).
  • "During times of great woe and despair, one young person in South Park takes it upon himself to keep order." Eric Cartman?

Every once in a while this series creates what I would call an instant classic. An episode you'll drop everything to sit and watch. Over the years a few of those episodes have been "Major Boobage" Season 12 Ep 3, "Make Love, Not Warcraft" Season 10 Ep 8, and "Goodtimes With Weapons" Season 8 Ep 1. Generally they come early in the season as this episode did.

Great characters like the "Coon" (gotta love Cartman!) and "Mysterion" and the return of Professor Chaos and General Disarray.

It's not surprising that both this episode and "Goodtimes With Weapons" featured Butters as Professor Chaos. One of the great South Park characters of all times.

Keep it coming boys...
  • Much better than last week

South Park did something a bit different this week and thank god they god rid of the politics! my score isn't high but I have to stress I thought this episodes was made me laugh a fair bit; lots of classic Cartman exploring most of his qualities. The fat joke played out well as did his need for attention.

The whole superhero concept fell a little short for me, it made for a lot of jokes and wasn't badly executed but it felt as if they didn't exploit it enough. The ending felt rushed and wasn't very satisfying. It felt as if the episode needed another 10 minutes to do the story justice. The continuation of his 'secret' alter ego was a bit lame, it would have been far better for a comic revelation, even if everone had already figured it out, essentially it was all an anti-climax, and it didn't build us up much to begin with.

Overall nothing made this episode feel memorable and is far from being an instant classic. It is the best episode in quite sometime as it has all the elements of a great episode and no BS point making. Sadly it lacked excitement, a good twist and a worthwhile ending. Even so 10/10 for the Cartman Comedy.
  • Every city needs... A Coon.

Following last weeks Kenny centred episode is The Coon, which details Cartman's turn to vigilantism after South Park goes to hell. Taking the form of a thick parody of the superhero mythos common to most comic books and more notably, last year's Dark Knight blockbuster, Parker here delivers an episode with quite a few laughs, with a compelling, well constructed story alongside. As a Cartman episode through and through, The Coon sees much of the humour derived from the fatass' usual profanity-ridden outbursts, as well as a few amusing segments involving Butters reviving his Professor Chaos alter-ego. Overall, a much more coherent and enjoyable outing than last week, meshing slick parody with good production values and laughs.
  • Combining equal parts Dark Knight and Watchmen, South Park becomes the battlegroung for a super battle.

He lurks at night, raiding through the trashcan of society. He is the Coon, South Park's lone superhero. But who really is this masked man? Bruce Vilanch? Henry Fierstein? Or perhaps Eric Cartman?

After a somewhat average twelth season its nice to see the 13th season starting as great as it has. The Coon takes equal parts Watchmen and the Dark Knight and creates a great episode. The premise is very simple in its design. A chubby super hero known as the Coon fights crime in the city of South Park, stoppinng rapists, helping the police, and handing out 'Who is the Coon?' t-shirts. However things are not all good as a new superhero named Mysterion appears and threatens the fandom of the mighty Coon. This is one of the best Cartman episodes in the series. Cartman as always just wants the attention for the things that he does, but amazingly no one really cared about the Coon. It was hilarious what Kyle said of the Coon, and Cartman's priceless reaction to it (butt-pirates everywhere are offended). Cartman is prepared to do whatever it takes to find out who Mysterion is and get all the attention back on to him. I was really hoping that Mysterion might be Butters, but they did something even better, bring around the return of Professor Chaos and General Disarray. The Coon and Chaos formed an alliance to defeat Mysterion and ultimately let to a clash between Chaos and Mysterion where the Coon betrayes Chaos and is able to force Mysterion to unmask himself. We never might truely know who Mysterion is, but either way, this episode was truely great either way.
  • Not enough laughs.

This episode is a loose parody of The Dark Knight with some hints of Watchmen as well, Cartman dresses up as a vigilante hero named The Coon..should be hilarious right? Eh I expected much more from this episode but instead only laughed at the spoof of the infamous Leprechaun guy who says Everybody who saw mysterion say yeah! But really I don't understand how the writers possibly could make cartman a superhero and have him not be funny..Cartman is meant to look like a complete idiot but hes supposed to be a funny idiot..in this episode they forgot the funny part. Props go to professor chaos for being funny and as for who Mysterion is? I really dont care too much. =/
  • The new episode entitled the coon will have you laughing and guessing the true identity of Mysterion.

The new episode entitled the coon will have you laughing and guessing the true identity of Mysterion. The episode is obviously a clever spoof of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I liked the way Cartman (The Coon) talked exactly how Christian Bale (Batman) talked. The whole episode had me laughing from start to finish. The only part that got me mad was the ending and how they only used a basic face to make it look like everyone else knew who Mysterion was. For all we know it could be Stan, Kyle, Clyde or Kenny those are the people Cartman named.
  • The best episode since "Imaginationland"

The Coon is a crime stopping hero that roams the streets during the night to protect his town. But another hero is trying to take over, his name is Mysterion. This was defiantly better than anything M&T gave to us last season, thats why I'm confused why the rating isn't higher (as of now it's 8.9) Professor Chaos also made a return for some more destruction and doom. What made the ep. funny was Cartman trying to figure out who Mysterion was. If the shows can continue being this good, we're in for one hell of a season people. BE CAREFUL BRUCE VILANCH!!
  • It was okay, but few jokes.

I thought this episode was decent. I am actually suprised by the reviews, considering this episode was not one of their best. It was not that funny, having few jokes which were okay. South Park is suppose to make me laugh like crazy off my couch, didn't pull this off this time. There were tons of better episodes than this one. Even the one before this was better, but got bad reviews because of people that were offended by the, "religeous slander". Well, sometimes shows have to have slanderous things to be funny. Sometimes they don't. But this episode was just dull, few jokes which were bad and the story was too predictable and not that sophistacated. Messed this one up Sotuh Park, sorry.
  • One of the best eps in a very long time ... Well Written

Wow .. I have to admit this episode was well written/plotted .. & filled with suspense/drama ... haven't enjoyed a South Park episode as much as i have enjoyed this one since about say season 10 ... this episode is going into my list of all time favorite South Park episodes #2 .. right after "Scott Tenorman Must Die .. Season 5) ... Cartman as the "Coon" .. LMAO ...

btw who was "Mysterio" .. I know it was someone in the same class with Cartman ... his voice sounded like "Clyde" ... Well I guess the true identity of Mysterio will remain a Mystery ...

Again this eps was superb ... a 10/10

Hope the upcoming eps can top this one ... doubt they will .. LOL
  • The Coon vs Mysterion makes everything more suspenseful!

I think this whole episode was parody of The Watchmen and Spiderman 3 which is awesome. The Coon wants to make sure that his hometown is safe and he will be the only hero in South Park, until another superhero who wears a cape and underwear outside his pants name Mysterion, which makes The Coon angry. Then Butters A.K.A Professor Chaos and his sidekick general Disarray came and attack The Coon but The Coon wants to help Professor Chaos to take down Mysterion, too. Then there was a one on one fight with Professor Chaos and Mysterion on the top of the building where all the Town people thought Mysterion where dead for sure.

It come out of the dramatic/suspense conclusion that someone in Mr.Garrison class is Mysterion. But who is this Mysterion: Stan, Kenny, Clyde or Craig maybe? My guess would be Kenny.

9.8 out of 10.
  • Do you like the coon better or mysterion better ???

oh my.... one of the best south park episode in years. The coon reaches its full potential for me. really funny and really original. i love the soundtrack and i love the watchmen, batman twist through out this episode and also cartman swearing frequently. If you watched that terrible episode of family guy with OJ and then you watch this. you will see the difference between these shows. I think season thirteen is gonna hit the big target like in season 11 and season 8. keep it up try and matt. If you have nothing to do, go on the internet and watch the coon.

and maybe find out " who is mysterion" ???
  • The Coon Vs. Mysterian.............

Kartman was the best in this episode, this is a sure series classic. Love IT! The beginning was so funny when he attacked the 'rapist' i was dying of laughter! Butters was really cute when he tried to be the bad guy. Who was really Mysterian? Was Kyle or Stan or Kenny? It doesnt really tell us and all of them look alike. All in all, very good episode, this season is getting better and i will keep watching this season to see what else is in store. Go the Coon! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
  • The Coon vs. Mysterion

This has got to be another one of the fat ass' wacky antics. I swear, he just gets stupider everyday. I'll bet the next thing he will be doing is petitioning the government to make littering legal or better yet convince the whole world to dump garbage on Kyle Broflovoski so he could get a laugh. Anyway, as this new episode in HD begins, Cartman is heard narrating what is happening in the city of South Park. He said that Barack Obama wouldn't make a better president than George W. Bush because he assumes that African-American people aren't meant to run for president. While wandering around at night, Cartman poses as a superhero named "The Coon." At the park, the fat retard thought the man and woman making out together is a rape. Also at school, he was giving out a very boring presentation about the Coon causing others to fall asleep. Later another night, Cartman met another vigilante called "Mysterion." The tubby crybaby wants to find out who is Mysterion. At first, he believed it was Kyle, as always. It seems to me that Cartman has Kyle on the brain. It's as if he is gay for Kyle and constantly talks about him. He can't even recognize Kyle's voice at all. Another day has arrived allowing Cartman to open up a Coonicon 2009 at the Airport Hilton where he recreated the Ginger Separatist Movement. The guy who kept coming in and bugs the hell out of the fat ass is the same man from before. Experiencing failure at the convention, Cartman watched the news that Mysterion is the greatest dark child vigilante, and the retarded fatso vows to get revenge.

When the Coon sneaks around the Self Storage area, Butters as Professor Chaos and Dougie as General Disarray ambushed the fat vigilante until Cartman asked for help. Butters led Cartman to his secret lair, which happens to be the storage Dougie's grandmother let him use. Butters narrowed down the possible fourth graders posing as Mysterion, but hadn't got anything. He already crossed out Cartman because he knows that he's too fat to be Mysterion. Cartman intended to lure Mysterion by making a video threat that he'll blow up the hospital that isn't finished yet. When Mysterion showed up at the unfinished hospital construction site, he, Professor Chaos and General Disarray begin to battle in a sissy way. But then, the Coon appeared about punched Butters in the mouth in order to make it look like that he and Mysterion both defeated Professor Chaos. In the near end of the episode, Mysterion revealed himself, but hasn't told them what his real name is. Afterwards, he gets thrown in jail and Cartman leaves to cause more harm.

Too bad nobody got to learn the real name of Mysterion. It is possible that it could be either Clyde, Wendy or the new fourth grade kid who came to school. When I thought it was Clyde, it's because he was pissed off when Cartman interrupted his sleep during the fat ass' boring speech. When Wendy said that Mysterion could be a girl, it's possible that it could be Wendy. She must have bought a strange device allowing her to change the tone other voice to avoid suspicion. But in conclusion, it must have been the new kid nobody knows about. Also, I really, really, really, really, really wished that Cartman as the Coon got locked away instead of Mysterion. The police wouldn't have known that he'll be causing more troubles like he always does on a daily basis because he is either like a supervillain or an anti-hero.
< 1 2