South Park

The F Word

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Nov 04, 2009 on Comedy Central

• Painfully oversimplifies the issue

Love this show but this episode misses its mark, at least in my opinion. Its true that words are only words and only have power if you allow them to. And in an ideal world, this lesson would be learned by all and the problem would be solved. But that is not the world we live in. Words do have power, and this episode, and people who complain the about political correctness, expects people who are hurt by such words to change by not being affected by these words rather than that having the people who use these words, to both hurt and just carelessly, to change. It misses the point that, especially with this "f" word, the word holds special power with everyone from the time people are children. And it is asking a lot for children, a large part of this show's audience, to grasp this nuance of language. No matter how much people should not be sensitive to words, the very reason people use these words is because they do have that power. And it is far more difficult to train yourself to not be hurt than it would be for people to just stop using these words they way they do. This episode seems to mock the issue and the people who might be sensitive to its meaning more than anything else. Just turn on the news to countless stories of adolescent suicide and school violence to know that maybe the issue isn't as simple as it seems to those on the outside looking in.
  • Great episode that said what needed to be said!

Continuing with the hilarious, yet undeniably valid logic that has become expected from South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone, "The 'F' Word" faces another verbal controversy (not unlike their season 11 premiere "With Apologies to Jessie Jackson") with brutal honesty-- yet again.

This time around, the controversy surrounds the meaning of a well-known derogatory slur against homosexuals. While one would expect a stance that reinstates a negative view of the word, as the show did with their previous episode, "With Apologies to Jessie Jackson" however this time around, their stance takes a more critical approach toward much of society's sensitivities around the word.

What makes this stance unique from many others is the use of logic to prove their point. The main points that this episode touched on were the fact that the word has and always will have several different meanings (of which, the slur is only one) and that words do not inherently convey one's meaning; instead arguing that the context in which the word is used and the definition of the word in that context is what gives a word its meaning. One can very easily see these points reflecting similar points made by comedians George Carlin, Lenny Bruce among many others throughout their careers.

As always with South Park's many social commentaries, the logic behind them is quite valid, although often portrayed in ways that seem to offend those not willing or able to see the message beyond the offensive presentation. This means of suggestive comedy is what fans of the show and its creators have grown to know and love over the years. If you are a fan of the show, or curious as to why the show's creators, Trey Parker and Matt Stone have developed such a devout following over the years, "The 'F' Word" is not a bad episode to start with. Assuming that the viewer is willing to keep an open mind about their own stance on the issues, of course.

For other debates with the same topic, the most recent one I've seen sprouting this kind of controversy, look into Infinity Ward's "Grenade Spamming Public Service Announcement" which should be available on YouTube, as well as several other streaming video websites.
  • Beats a dead horse like no other.

4.5
    This episode had an interesting concept to start off with with some funny moments: the annoyance of Harley bikers. And it was funny at first when the bikers were being called f*gs but doing the same joke for 22 minutes gets really old really fast. In hindsight, this was far less an episode about how the word "f*g" is being used "differently" by kids these days than it was about Matt & Trey's hatred for Harley bikers which was being expressed in the same manner over and over and over again. It got really boring and predictable about 10 minutes in and I just wanted the episode to hurry up and end. I dont know if Matt & Trey realize this but most people when they use the word "f*g" are still thinking gay in the back of their minds, so their original intent did not work well here and was far from clever. I actully felt that 'Eat, Pray, Queef' was slightly better and funnier than this. Which would make this episode, to me, the weakest of season 13.
  • South park At it's best

While not a perfect episode South park does what it does best. Social Commentary. Educating on how the definition of the word F@g (apprently this site has PC Nazis that won't let me use the word) has changed over time and now wanting to apply it bikers that are annoying everyone.

The PC Police go in full effect and blah blah hilarity ensues.

The Boys efforts to change the meaning of the word results in violence hilarity Gay guys using firearms and several Classic and laugh out loud butters moments.

Unlike it's animated contemporaries the Simpsons, Family Guy and all the crap on adult Swim and fox South Park remains consistent. And this Episode while not perfect is a good example of South Park doing what it does best, Social Satire and Commentary.
  • This one gets full marks for going back to basics

Sometimes, South Park tends to just write and produce episodes about current news events or events happening in the world of entertainment, but this episode went right back to basics. Took a small problem and turned it into a miserunderstanding based on what the children think is right and wrong. It reeled out some classic lines and only Eric Cartman could confront 15 Harley bikers and walk away with his legs still intact. You could see the influence Monty Python has on Trey and Matt during this episode. Maybe that wasn't intentional, but still. My favourite parts was the noises the bikers made when they were not on their bikes.
  • Very loud bikers come to South Park and the boys can't stand it

In reality this episode's focus is not on bikers. It's a focus on language. Very offensive language. But what else can we expect from South Park? It's their nature. But it's also their nature to make us think a little as we laugh. I mean think about it, when did the term f** start to mean annoying or stupid people and not be about a homosexual? Either way, it's really offensive but it's a curious look at how language works. The episode even states and is correct that f** used to mean different things long ago, such as referring to the elderly or poor people. It's an interesting episode and a funny one too. Well, maybe not for Harley riders.
  • How do they come up with these ideas

After watching this episode I always think of how Matt Stone and Trey Parker can get these type of Ideas on TV well it is on Comdey Central. In this episode a group of Harley-Davidson riders frequently making noise in town and then freaking Cartman eats 3 or 4 buckets of KFC to takes a S-word on their Motercylces LOL man I love KFC chicken. The it turns out I thought it was going to be fuk in this episode but it is f*g you know because of the title of this episode. Then it turns out that the Harley-Davidson riders are gay and more stuff is known and then now in the South Park world f*g is now define An extremely annoying, inconsiderate person most commonly associated with Harley riders. 2. A person who owns or frequently rides a Harley. Whats up with that man
  • Excellent episode condemning the public about certain words.

Top 5 episodes of southpark for sure.

The meaning it sends out is probably one of the BEST meanings in southpark history. It talks about how words CHANGE their meaning. They brought up an excellent example: the F word. It used to be a bundle of sticks, old woman, gay people, and now inconsiderate disturbances/douches. It shows that people shouldn't be identified with certain words because the words may change meanings in the near future. This goes for ANY term that people are offended in saying. This includes the N word around african Americans, and the f word around gay people. It doesn't mean what you think it means anymore. It changed! So stop living in the past and get with the contemporary slang. Back to the episode. It really sent this message out well. Especially near the end when all the gay people come together to help the kids. The reaction of the bikers, the speech by the leader in the end shows a even deeper level of understanding. Its ironic that now they are the minority and are banding together to not use the word around them...like homosexuals are doing now. Very deep episode!

Im sorry if I offended anyone, but if you watch the episode you will know EXACTLY what I mean. I couldn't put it anymore nicely than this episode did. Good job sp!
  • With noisy Harley riders disrupting the peace of South Park, the boys begin referring to them as 'f*gs' and hatch a plan to get rid of them. Much better than I initially expected. "Brap-brap-brap-brap-brap"...

This review contains spoilers.

After two watchable but middling episodes ('W.T.F.' and 'Whale Wh*res'), upon first reading the synopsis for this week's episode, 'The F Word', I expected it to be another average-at-best story. But to my surprise, it turned out to be a really amusing episode, which, in my personal opinion, is the best since the badly underrated 'Butters' Bottom B*tch'.

I find the Harley riders ("brap-brap-brap-brap-brap") really amusingly written, and this episode has a lot of humorous moments going for it.

I totally get where the writers are coming from about people (in this case, Harley riders) deliberately being loud just to draw attention to themselves to get attention. I don't know about Stateside, but in my area of the U.K., the problem is young drivers, who deliberately make their exhaust systems as loud as possible and have music playing though super-amps. Yes, you young drivers, barely out of school, you are f*gs too!

It was great to see Big Gay Al in this episode – I was just thinking a few days ago that we haven't seen him for AGES. Mr. Slave, and the Mayor, also not seen for quite a while, also make welcome appearances in this story. I was a bit disappointed that, with the f*g storyline, we didn't see Mr. Garrison (one of my favourite characters) though. Or is he back into men these days – I've lost count!

I didn't get the Emmanuel Lewis in-joke until I read up on the episode on Wikipedia – I wondered why they used a Gary Coleman (of 'Diff'rent Strokes') knock-off, not getting the joke of Emmanuel Lewis playing 'Webster', as in 'Webster's Dictionary'. Maybe they could have made this a bit more obvious.

Overall, I am very pleased with this episode, with it coming off far better than I expected. I wouldn't rank it as a series classic, but I would say it is one of the better episodes coming from the second half of season 13 thus far. Brap-brap-brap-brap-brap-brap!
  • Harley riders are causing a commotion in South Park and the boys decide to put a stop to it. Their ammunition, they start calling the riders names and spray painting epitaph's to get them to leave. When they get caught they get the definition changed.

Well I guess the name they called the bikers is not allowed on this site so I'll just call it names. Not really sure about this episode. Some funny bits and some that just didn't quite make it.

The creators give these boys truly creative minds. They see a problem and they fix a problem. Also their not afraid of anyone. No problem too big or too small. I guess the outlandish moral of this story is who would have the guts to call a bunch of biker dudes out on making too much noise? The part with Cartman mocking the bikers was great. It is so out of character for anyone to do, but so in character for Cartman that it was truly humorous.

The whole bit with the dictionary and the following parts was very hit and miss in general. Butters was his usual funny self though defending the bikers.

Not an episode I would necessarily watch again in the repeats like I would normally if it were on and I noticed it was playing. Something just not as great as usual. That's OK, these guys get a free pass for all the superb episodes they have put out. Thanks for reading...
COMEDY