South Park

The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Mar 24, 2010 on Comedy Central

• After being disappointed reading the controversial 'Catcher in the Rye', the boys write their own, disgusting book. When Stan's mother finds it, they blame it on Butters – but the book quickly becomes hailed a literary classic. I really liked this one...

After last week's season opener, the watchable but ultimately disappointing 'Sexual Healing', I'm glad to say that 'South Park' is back on form with this wonderful episode.

The preview synopsis was slightly misleading, suggesting that most of the episode would involve the boys trying to explain their obscene book (the 'The Tale of Scrotie McBoogerballs' of the episode title) to Stan's mom Sharon. While this did feature early in the plot, ultimately the story went past that.

On paper, this episode actually looks like a re-working of last season's fan favourite 'Fishsticks' – both involve a person (in this case, people) coming up with something hugely popular, and someone else taking the credit. But while it may appear to be a reworking, 'Scrotie...' has enough original gags to make it a top-notch episode.

I liked nearly all of the jokes in this one (and finally I realise I'm not alone in wondering why people find Jessica Sarah Parker so "attractive"). The vomit was a bit overdone (similar has been done in 'Family Guy'), as was the vomit sequences being totally dragged out (again, 'Family Guy'), but mostly, it's been ages since a 'South Park' episode made me laugh so much.

Great story, great Butters moments, and – even though we didn't see much of him – some good Randy moments too, and the story wrapped itself up at the end really nicely. I know they probably wanted to start the season by commenting on Tiger Woods, but in truth, 'Scrotie...' would have made a far better season premiere.

I'm not sure if it's what Parker and Stone were going for, but I drew comparisons with the obscene book being hailed as a philosophical masterpiece, to the success of 'South Park' and other adult comedies. Some try to hail them as works of art with deep hidden meanings, but at the end of the day, they do it just 'cos being rude is funny!

All-in-all, an excellent episode, and one I know I shall re-view many times. If Season 14 keeps up this quality (and hopefully has a decent Randy story soon), then I for one shall be very pleased.