South Park

Trapped in the Closet

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Nov 16, 2005 on Comedy Central

• Clever and brilliant. A very important episode in the series' history because of the controversy.

This episode was brilliant. The humor was clever but still had that 'crossing the line' brand of funny. I loved the fact that they used the whole, "trapped in the closet" metaphor and relentlessly mocked them in the classic south park style. Before they did this, no one had the guts to say anything about them. The way I look at it was that they took on the bullies in the school yard. It reminds me of a movie that was similar in topic and comedy style, Mind Polish: Master Hubbard's Special Reserve. This was also a parody of scientology and had that extreme humor that ticks people off. I think that movie goes farther though, of course. It's a movie so they can get away with stuff you can't on tv. I just like anything that tackles a topic your not supposed to talk about on tv and goes "way too far." This episode was historical because it caused so much controversy. In fact, they stopped airing it for awhile because Tom Cruise threatened to not promote Mission Impossible, which was made by comedy central's parent company paramount. Not only did they not back down but they did another episode in response to Isaac Hayes' departure from the show as result of trapped in the closet. They also did a two parter about freedom of speech regarding family guy but it was obvious what they were trying to say. It spawned a total of 3 other episodes to comment on the response of this episode and I think the filmmaker behind Mind Polish was probably inspired by this episode.