South Park

Up the Down Steroid

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Mar 24, 2004 on Comedy Central

• strong

A show of supreme quality, very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very (apologies, the former review has been moved to a new home, soon you will all be given the key) very very very veryvery very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very enjoyable. A must-see.

• Nathan rules.

Nathan, the retarded drug dealer, is awesome even though we only see him in one scene. I hope he shows up again. He alone makes this episode classic. They made a movie with the Jackass guy doing the same thing that Cartman does. It will undoubtedly suck. This episode doesn't at all.
  • superb

Jimmy wants to win the Special Olympics, but he does so by taking steroids. Will he get caught? Will he win? Meanwhile Cartman pretends he is handicapped so he can participate in the special Olympics and win the cash for winning. Will his plan work?

Pretty good. Even though it was really disrespectful, I have to admit that Cartman making fun of 'special' kids was pretty funny (even though it was really mean obviously, but that was the point). And I'm glad Timmy learned his lesson. Overall a pretty good episode, and as such, gets a B+ or so as a grade from me.
  • jimmy uses steroids to win the specail lympics and cartman pretends to be mentally disabled to win it

7.3
    when i first heard of this episode i was thinking " wow this should be a good episode" , unfortunately it was one of the first sout park episodes that really dissapointed me. it did not have a lot of humor tht i suspected to be there. the plot is too obvious of what i excepted . also , i feel that not alot of the south park charecters other tahn jimmy , timmy , and cartman had contributed much on the episode . in all honesty and fairness it was really not a bad episode. nevertheless , not my favorite .
  • Cartman = Hilarious

Okay, this episode was about Timmy and Jimmy competing in the special olympics. The prize winner gets $1,000. Eric Cartman wants to join, so he gets permission from his mom to act "special" and compete. He wanted the money. Jimmy then took steriods and them two competed against each other. In the olympics, Jimmy was the best by far. Cartman came in last. He lost to a bunch of "special" kids, he is not even "special" in any way! 3 famous athletes presented Jimmy the money and trophy. He admitted to using steriods at the end. Overall, I give this episode a 9.4.
  • True, true

Maybe it's just a cartoon used to make us laugh, but deep, deep inside I think that every cartoon has or at least tries to have a message. And it's really nicely expressed and shown the ups and downs and then there's Cartman and the frauds. I like watching him trying to upgrade him being a retard the best he can, especially by using the computer. Jimmy on the other hand, is truly showing the hell that kind of people live in, seen when he's beating his "girlfriend" and his "mom" and then crying about it in the end, it, it's just so true...
  • Jimmy is on steroids?

Timmy and Jimmy are both going to compete in the Special Olympics, in which there is a cash prize of one thousand dollars. This gives Cartman an idea on how to rig the Special Olympics to win the money. Cartman pretends to be mentally challenged but fails in the events. However, the main plot in this story is Jimmy taking steroids to enhance his chances at winning. When Timmy discovers Jimmy is taking these, he is disheartened and ashamed that Jimmy would resort to this.

Jimmy realizes the error of his ways and admits to his abuse and blasts all people who are on steroids. This is a great episode. I loved the ending. An 8.9.
  • Jimmy takes Steroids to win the Special Olympics and Eric Cartman decides to pretend to be handicapped in order to win!

Jimmy and Timmy are training for the Special Olympics that is happening next Saturday in Denver. Cartman learns that the Special Olympics is offering $1000 prize money for the person who comes in first place. So Cartman decides to pretend to be handicapped so he can beat the other handicapped kids! Jimmy takes Steroids to make himself stronger and ends up winning. But Timmy convinces Jimmy to confess and take back his medal. What a classic episode!! :)
  • Hillarious parody of Steriod Scandals.

In this episode South Park briliantly satireises the Steriod Scandals plauging Baseball. And the Special Olympics was a great addition since retarded kids are funny in South Park since Trey and Matt write them well. But the high point was the effort that Cartman made to win the Olympics for $1000 and still losing. As well as the amazingly funny animation and voice overs for Eric and the other kids.
  • A funny episode that makes fun of the baseball steroids scandal and the Special Olympics.

The 2004 Special Olympics are being held in Denver. So Jimmy works hard to win (while taking steroids), and Cartman, looking forward only to the $1,000 prize, pretends to be retarded.

This episode is yet another exciting episode from season 8, which looks good so far! It shows Barry Bonds, Jason Giambi, and Mark McGwire impersonated, satirizing the steroids scandal from 2004. Also, it applies steroid scandal to Special Olympics, which otherwise hasn't happened. And we can all laugh at Cartman trying hard to be like Timmy (the other retarded kid in Mr. Garrison's class), except he can't get away with it. It's worth watching! OK, also I've heard that the writers of a flop movie in 2005 called "The Ringer" sued Trey Parker and Matt Stone because they claim South Park stole their storyline. Both sides haven't come up with a solution. In this case, forget if they stole from "The Ringer". Watch this good South Park episode instead of the new trash they're putting out now.
  • This was funny and horrible at the same time.

Now, I thought think it's right to make fun of handicapped people but the episode was funny. Jimmy taking steroids and getting all buff and, "Yeah... Nice pe-pecks!" I can't believe Cartman joined the special olymics to get money, but I figure this is the same kid who tries to exterminate the Jews in the following episode. But it's great that at the end when Jimmy gives the speech that people who uses steroids are "big fat stinky p*ssies." Even though that speech was making fun of the baseball players.
  • Special Kids on steriods, funny....

A good episode on the special olympics Jimmy is not doing good in training an so decides to take some steriods so that he can do better in the special olympics, its a funny comparison to all the steriod usage in the regular world of sports, a funny comparison, and good satire favorite line"Am jus living in the real world". In the mean time Cartman decides to fake being a special person so that he can dominate in the special olympics and win the prize money, another classic plan by eric cartman, this is yet another great addition to south park in general and more specifically season 8, which is one probably the best season overall.
  • One of the best!

South Park has no fear of making fun of anyone. Including the handicapped. This episode starts out with starts out when Timmy and Jommy tell the 4 boys that they need support in the special olympics. After finding out what the special olympics are, Cartman decides that he could make money off of pretending to be handicapped and beating all the others. Kyle tells him hw wrong that is twice, but is ignored. Meanwhile, Jimmy is offered steroids to help him win the special olympics. He takes them, sayingthey will only be used as a "Performance enhancer". Check out this episode! It is funny and you are really missing out by skipping this classic.
  • Indeed a special episode...in more ways than one

I can't give this episode anything but a 10. I hated 'South Park' throughout 8 of it's seasons, but I do believe that this was the one that converted me. This one is just plain hilarious anyway you look at it. Matt and Trey never take shots at the Special Olympics or the disabled at all, instead allowing foul-mouthed Cartman to do it for them. The great part is he is punished for his actions, which proved that the show wasn't as mean-spirited as I originally thought. Cartman's attempts to disguise himself as, ahem, 'retarded' are as hilarious as they're horrible, as are the results. The Jimmy steroid plot was full of great gags too (Timmy, a character who can only say his own name, has the funniest scene as he tries to explain a prediciment to the guidance counselor). Just an all around great episode.
  • Cartman and the Special Olympics...what more do you need?

The episode starts off harmlessly enough with the boys playing with trucks and the like. Soon, Jimmy and Timmy show up to see who will cheer for them at the Special Olympics. This sparks an idea in Cartman. To enter the Special Olympics as a mentally challenged child and then beat them in every event. There’s a great montage featuring him trying on all sorts of looks, postures, and clothes to pull off just the right look.

Once that’s all completed, he just has to enter. He soon learns he’ll need his mom’s permission to enter the Olympics. After some clever lying, he’s in. Then, one of my all-time favorite moments in South Park happens. Cartman loses every single event. Which, even after 5 times is still hilarious. His prize? A spirit award. The rest of the episode(the main plot really) focuses on Jimmy’s steroid abuse and the consequences of it. But the real star, like usual, is Eric Cartman.
Pee