South Park

Whale Whores

Aired Wednesday 10:00 PM Oct 28, 2009 on Comedy Central

• When Stan's birthday trip to swim with dolphins turns bad when the Japanese kill all the dolphins, Stan joins the crew of reality TV show 'Whale Wars' to try and stop the senseless killing of dolphins and whales. Some okay moments, but too unfocused..

This review contains spoilers.

I'm not sure what to make of this episode. It has some amusing and quite clever moments, but ultimately does not quite work, and comes off as an average-at-best instalment, and in places feels very 'thrown together'.
    At first, I thought it might end up being a retread of season nine's 'Free Willzyx' – how wrong could I be.

With the Marsh family visiting Denver Aquarium to swim with dolphins, I was hoping that this was going to be a story that heavily featured Randy, one of my favourite characters. Sadly, he only gets one really amusing moment (pushing the little girl out of the way, insisting it is him that gets a kiss from a dolphin) before he fades into the background of the story.

The Japanese appearing out of nowhere every time to kill all the dolphins and whales in a bloody slaughter, is fairly amusing at first, but gets old very quickly.

Maybe I didn't fully take to this story because I haven't seen 'Whale Wars' – I don't think it's shown here in the U.K. (at least, not on any channel I have / want), but even beyond that, the story didn't seem certain as to what it wants to be.
    The only really amusing and notable moment of the story is Cartman singing Lady Gaga (I'm not a fan of hers, but Cartman's version was funny).

Mid-way through, the episode takes a sharp turn as the cast of 'Whale Wars' do battle with another such show, 'Deadliest Catch'. Although two such shows at war with each other could maybe be amusing, here it detracts from the overall story and on hindsight seems to be little more than story padding.
    Likewise, other than to get on TV, Cartman and Kenny suddenly deciding to join Stan's mission doesn't really lead anywhere.

As for the ending... the explanation that the Japanese were hunting dolphins and whales after mistakenly beliving them to be responsible for the bombing of Hiroshima... it *should* have been funny, but just somehow doesn't really work.

All-in-all, not one of the season's best episodes. Not bottom-of-the barrel either (that still goes to the terrible 'Eat, Prey, Queef'), but I hope the rest of the season's episodes are stronger than this one.