Southland Forums

NBC (ended 2013)

General Discussion - News - Questions & Answers

phf3947

[1]Jul 12, 2009
    • level: 71
    Please post news about Southland and/or ask general questions in this thread. Thanks.
    Edited on 08/27/2009 5:16am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

phf3947

[2]Jul 12, 2009
    Michael Cudlitz has been named as a possible contender for Best Supporting Actor Emmy nomination. Read more here.

phf3947

[3]Jul 23, 2009
    Here are the most recent interviews with Ben, Michael, Arija and Regina: Extra Raw.

herocolleen

[4]Aug 3, 2009
    • level: 1
    what was the opening music on the first episode of southland?

phf3947

[5]Aug 4, 2009
    There were two songs: "School" by Supertramp and "Fake Empire" by The National. The opening theme, which is heard at the beginning of every episode, is a derivation on the Portuguese song "Cancao do Mar," which can be heard in its original form on youtube.com.

phf3947

[6]Aug 27, 2009
    NBC has pushed the start date of Southland from September 25 to October 23, 2009. There is speculation by industry insiders that the network wants to use the additional four weeks to promote the show, which will air on Friday nights in the fall.

phf3947

[7]Aug 29, 2009
    Channel 4 in the U.K. has picked up the rights for Southland! Read about it HERE.

HolyAng3L

[8]Sep 18, 2009
    • level: 7
    Hi. soo they dont show this in sweden and i cant find it on any stream sites. can someone tell me where i can find it and watch it streamed?

phf3947

[9]Sep 22, 2009
    Amaury Nolasco, tapped in August as a new regular, has departed after filming three episodes. Read story here:Hollywood Reporter.

phf3947

[10]Oct 8, 2009
    Southland has been canceled. Read about it here: NBC Shuts Down Southland. The good news? The show might go to cable. Personally, I'd rather watch the show on USA Network on a decent day with a decent timeslot anyway.

justinwestnet

[11]Oct 9, 2009
    • level: 17

phf3947 wrote:
    Southland has been canceled. Read about it here: NBC Shuts Down Southland. The good news? The show might go to cable. Personally, I'd rather watch the show on USA Network on a decent day with a decent timeslot anyway.

I will watch this on any cable channel any day...but my only fear is that USA shows usually have cheesy effects/graphics so hopefully it ends up on TNT (Dark Blue? Seriously, this is 10x better) or better, F/X.

phf3947

[12]Oct 9, 2009
    justinwestnet wrote:
    will watch this on any cable channel any day...but my only fear is that USA shows usually have cheesy effects/graphics so hopefully it ends up on TNT (Dark Blue? Seriously, this is 10x better) or better, F/X.

I agree with you. I posted that last night when I was still upset at the news. USA Network wouldn't be a good fit because its programming is more soft and they want to keep it that way. TNT, Bravo, FX, A&E (former home of The Beast and The Cleaner) are all possibilities. I understand John Wells began shopping the show late yesterday, so I expect to hear some positive news any day now.

In the meantime, Michael posted this interview -- 'Southland' star on show's axing: 'I'm pissed off'-- on his Facebook wall and I posted it on mine. He wants us to let our opinions to the network be known. There's also a campaign on Twitter.
    Edited on 10/09/2009 4:34pm

justinwestnet

[13]Oct 9, 2009

phf3947 wrote:
    justinwestnet wrote:
    will watch this on any cable channel any day...but my only fear is that USA shows usually have cheesy effects/graphics so hopefully it ends up on TNT (Dark Blue? Seriously, this is 10x better) or better, F/X.
    I agree with you. I posted that last night when I was still upset at the news. USA Network wouldn't be a good fit because its programming is more soft and they want to keep it that way. TNT, Bravo, FX, A&E (former home of The Beast and The Cleaner) are all possibilities. I understand John Wells began shopping the show late yesterday, so I expect to hear some positive news any day now. In the meantime, Michael posted this interview -- 'Southland' star on show's axing: 'I'm pissed off'-- on his Facebook wall and I posted it on mine. He wants us to let our opinions to the network be known. There's also a campaign on Twitter.

Great stuff Michael Cudlitz! Glad the actors are speaking out. I really, really hope some cable channel gets this show. It's too good to pass up. Wha bugs me now is that NBC didn't even give it a shot for season 2 and they already pulled the plug. Terrible NBC, just terrible...if it wasn't for the office and friday night lights, I wouldn't watch this network anymore.

phf3947

[14]Oct 10, 2009
    This is the #1 topic all over the internet. Giving a show a second season, then canceling the show before it premieres rarely happened, if ever.

Although I'm the editor for this guide, I am unable to edit anything. If I'd wanted a new thread to announce the demise of the show, I would've started one myself. If the thread-starter reads this, please change the title to your thread to "Southland has been canceled by NBC." Reason? The show will return on another network -- bigger and better than ever!
    Edited on 10/10/2009 6:07am

phf3947

[15]Oct 10, 2009
    Everything we can do to let our opinions be known counts: Save Southland.

phf3947

[16]Oct 10, 2009
    Jossfiend wrote:
    There's an excellent interview with star Michael Cudlitz at http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/10/09/southland-star-on-shows-axing-im-pissed-off/#more-3287, and I hope I'm not breaking some tv.com rule by saying so. He rips NBC a sorely-deserved new one.

You're not breaking any rules -- I posted a clickable link to the article yesterday just after Michael posted it on his Facebook wall.

dwaynep1

[17]Oct 12, 2009
    • level: 1

I am extemely dissappointed that they network has decided to cancel the show. This was a well written, well acted show with a terrific cast and the networks just don't give the shows a chance. This is why more and more people are going to the cable channels, better writing and it seems like the shows seems to favor a little better before they are cancelled in lieu of reality series or 5 solid hours of Jay Leno during prime-time....Yet another reason for me to jump ship from NBC....

Hopefully someone will be wise enough to pick the series up and run with it, instead of created CSI 15 or some crazy nonsense like that, humm maybe that is an idea, Let's just repackage Southland as another CSI, maybe then they can sell it!

phf3947

[18]Oct 13, 2009
    TNT might be Southland's new network. Talks between the two sides are advancing. Read more about it here: The Hollywood Reporter.

justinwestnet

[19]Oct 13, 2009

phf3947 wrote:
    TNT might be Southland's new network. Talks between the two sides are advancing. Read more about it here: The Hollywood Reporter.

This is great news and I'm confident this goes through! When it does, there are some things that need to happen:

1) I hope that since it's on cable, the production value doesn't drop, and it still has that same feel/look that it did on NBC.

2) They already have 6 episodes done, hopefully they don't wait too long (January at the LATEST) to start airing this

3) I hope it goes back to the original format and stops with the plan to follow only the main 2 beat cops and the two main detectives. The ensemble cast made this the best!

phf3947

[20]Oct 14, 2009
    Add (4) to the list: those annoying bleeps will be gone. As soon as I hear anything, I'll post it here.

Michael (check out his tweets @Cudlitz) isn't the only actor discussing this travesty. Lydia expressed her dismay yesterday: "Southland Actress Stunned by Sudden Cancellation."

Also, read this interview with Clifton Collins Jr.: "Clifton Collins Jr. Talks the Future of Southland."