Southland

Graduation Day

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Mar 08, 2011 on NBC

7.1
  • Interesting ending to an interesting season.

Southland lost two characters this season, Detectives Moretta and Clarke. Morettas partner, by the end of the season, made several important decisions. He is going to be an active participant in raising his son, and he went back to patrol work, to help train rookie officers. Clarke's betrayal of his former partner, Lydia Adams, was only somewhat surprising. He had burned out as a detective long ago, and his greatest concern became his financial security. Lydia's relationship with her new partner has been altered because she slept with Det, Ochoa's son. I think Southland will be renewed for a fourth season - just hope we don't have to wait too long.
  • Perfect Conclusion

I really want there to be a Season 4. I know I am not alone. However, I am happy that they ended Season 3 as they did- if TNT cancels this terrific show, at least it will have gone out on a high note. Spoilers... now. Graduation Day finally took things to their logical conclusion- Sherman stops doubting himself and surpasses his mentor, Cooper finally accepts his problem, Sammy finds closure over the death of his partner, and (here it comes) Det. Adams "got her groove back." I like how they have minimized the cast (without losing too much of the depth) and wrapped up story lines which were becoming redundant (cooper's addiction, sammy channeling 'clint eastwood). 'Graduation Day' was an appropriate title for this episode as it marks an end of one chapter but also a hopeful beginning.
  • I can't give it a perfect score because this one wasn't the best of the whole season, but it came real close. This is the conclusion we've been waiting for.

Between Sammy's return to the beat and John's trip to rehab this is the episode fans have been waiting for. It was a nice touch to make Ben, Sammy's new partner. I can't wait to see where they take them. Otherwise the Lydia love triangle issue is kinda old news, but then again it was interesting for a bit. I am interested to see how that partnership shakes out. Chickie and Dewey ended on an interesting note, but a good one. They have a lot of room to run with the way they ended the season. Overall, looking forward to another season, hoping they get a green light soon. I'm confident they will and so are the actors: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2011/03/southland-season-4-where-will-they-go-from-here.html