Southland

Punching Water

Aired Thursday 10:00 PM Jan 11, 2011 on NBC

6.8
  • Should have been the Season Premier.

'Punching Water' was a truly satisfying episode. Cooper learns respect for Chickie firsthand when he is forced to work with a newly-reformed Dewey- who as it turns out is just as obnoxious and incompetent when he's sober. While Dewey's mouth wears on the viewer after a while, Cooper finds a good solution toward the end of the episode. This was a cinematic episode, with a strong central storyline involving escalating gang violence which links all the cases and necessitates the entire ensemble cast working together. Overall, it felt more on-track than last week's offering- with an ending that finally answers the question: What's the worst thing that could happen to Sammy?
  • I could not get into it

I don't know why I could not get into this, but I could not. I have watched it three times and I just don't get into it.

Part of the problem is that it seems to jump around more than others.

Part of the problem is that I can't tell what parts are relevant to the story and what parts are just chit-chat.

Part of the problem might be something about the audio in the first half. I put on my headphones and cranked up the audio and still it seemed to be low volume.

Part of the problem is the jerk of a cop; bad attitudes don't impress me. There are ample examples of bad attitude in television; I don't need to see bad cops.
  • It was great seeing C. Thomas Howell as Officer Dewey once again. He should be a regular. Some one on the show should be totally despicable and he fits the bill.

The bright spot in this otherwise "dark" episode was when Cooper sends Dewey into the store for coffee, and while he's gone, grabs Ben Sherman, hops into his vehicle, and drives off. The look on his and Officer Chickie Brown's face is priceless. If payback is truly a b**ch - can't wait to see what Chickie has in store for John next week. This was a good - not great episode. It marked a return to the more gritty aspects of life for the cops and detectives, but I think they're trying to cram too much into the 50 minutes. The gangland murders were confusing - it might have been better to stretch the story over a few episodes. This would have allowed more time for character development which is what makes the show so compelling. Why is Ben continuing to see the "badge bunny" - is she fulfilling some need for him? And the disintegration of Sammy's relationship with his wife definitely needs to be fleshed out. But these are not major concerns - I think the writers will get back on track - they certainly seem to be heading in the right direction.