Space: Above and Beyond

Ray Butts

Aired Sunday 7:00 PM Oct 22, 1995 on FOX

• Easy as eating pancakes!

I think this is perhaps one of the highlights on the season.
    Ray Butts is a hard nosed lifer, with his own way of doing things an a mean streak that covers his tormented soul. Initially the 58th view him as a arrogant and possibly borderline crazy officer. This is mainly because as the episode progresses he puts them through several tests, that either they find humiliating or pointless. Gradually though, we do start to see the benefit of the training.
    He has several show downs with McQueen, who has up until now been arguably the 'toughest' character around. He takes over command of the 58th for a mission, to many all round complaints, then when they arrive at the mission goal, he changes the mission, almost causing a mutiny among the 58 who don't really trust him yet.
    We discover the reason for the mission, and the reason he acts the way he does, and things start to make a lot more sense. Towards the end, we have a feeling of empathy and respect for the character, witch makes his final sacrifice all the more significant.
    There are several supreme sets of dialogue in this episode, some hilarious jokes, and some good action scenes. This is a SAaB you do not want to miss! Its as easy as eating pancakes.