Spaced Forums

Channel 4 (ended 2001)

When did you watch Spaced?

KaiRea

[1]Mar 2, 2007
    • level: 10
    I've just been looking through episode guide on here while I watch my DVD for the Nth time. What interests me is that all the reviews I've found are from 2006. Since the show originally aired in the nineties (at least in the UK), this surprised me.

So my question is this: How many people out there saw Spaced when it was first around, and how many heard about it and watched it after the success of Shaun of the Dead and having seen and liked that film?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sarah_lennon

[2]Mar 6, 2007
    • level: 3
    I stumbled across it in the 90s really by accident. It used to be on late and I just found myself watching it - great call

hobbleit

[3]Mar 7, 2007
    • level: 17

I first saw the last two episodes of the second series when they first aired and was disappointed at the fact that it ended.

I then saw the rest of the second series in film club shortly after shaun of the dead came out.

Then I got around to buying the complete DVD set a few months later.  a cock-eyed way to see the series but never mind.

heathy2k6

[4]May 14, 2007
    • level: 2
    I heard it was good and bought the DVD's i don't remember it being on so I had never seen it before I also bought.

MPJohnstone

[5]May 26, 2007
    • level: 8
    I watched it the first time round on tv.

But then i was a student through the early to mid 90's.

MJ

Izzytheinsane

[6]Jul 11, 2007
    • level: 7
    Saw it last week. Heard about it over a podcast and decided to check it out.

platyhelminth

[7]Sep 6, 2007
    • level: 9
    I watched it from the beginning. I may have been a little young for it, but seriously, I'd already picked up all those words at school. And then a few years later the DVDs were cheap in Fopp (RIP) and I've been trying to convert people ever since.

Invader_Zim_72

[8]Oct 12, 2007
    • level: 17
    I saw it on youtube a couple of months ago.

iamralphiam

[10]Nov 18, 2007
    • level: 6
    just a few mins ago, seems good so far!

Kapuhi

[11]Nov 20, 2007
    • level: 1

I didn't know how much I would like Spaced, and missed a few opportunities early on to get into it. I'm three months younger than Simon Pegg, so his references are SPOT ON for me.. I remember the same things and was the same age, so saw them in a similar light. Anyway. I'm a hardcore Britcom fan (an American but I live in Hawaii.. perhaps a bit more multi-cultural than Iowa?) and I managed to watch S1E1 and S1E2 at some point back in the late 90s. I knew I wanted to see more but never managed it.

Then I saw Shaun, and liked it. Then after a few months I saw Shaun again. Then I downloaded it and started watching it monthly. I kept finding new things -- and I'm talking about JUST the movie, not the DVD with commentary extras. Before long I had paid up and was full-on DVDing that baby weekly and others were starting to notice a change in me.. a lot more quoting from Shaun, a lot more wanting to rent similar movies, a lot more ANYTHING SIMON PEGG.

Hot Fuzz never opened in Hawaii so my Mom sent me a DVD from England. I loved it, but it still wasn't quite Shaun. I was looking to regress back to the nascent Pegg/Wright/Frost, though I didn't know it. And so after buying a bunch of DVDs I couldn't watch, plus downloading for free AND for pay a bunch of AVIs I found useless, I finally figured out how to region-free-hack my DVD player, and now my mind has been living at 23 Meteor Street for three weeks. Seriously. I'm usually able to mask my obsessions easily, but everyone in my life right now -- husband, boss, co-workers, friends, family -- knows that I can't really be mentally reached right now unless you speak using a Spaced reference.

So, the answer is 2007, age 37.

Edited on 11/20/2007 10:20pm

jenicecream

[12]Jul 24, 2008
    • level: 9
    I'm watching it now as it airs on BBC America.

rworthington

[14]Aug 12, 2008
    • level: 6
    I missed Season 1 the first time round, but Channel 4 showed it again just before season 2 aired so I saw all of it around the time of season 2

hrgaffney

[15]Nov 27, 2008
    • level: 51
    Recently stumbled on it on Virgin Media's TV choice. Thought it was excellent.

spooked_212

[16]Oct 26, 2009
    • level: 3

II was only shown spaced a few weeks ago and i love it already, they've started showing on TV again but can't wait to but the box set. Simon Pegg is genius!!!

brain05

[17]Nov 10, 2010
    • level: 15
    My wife and I just finished watching the series for the first time. We loved it. We rented it through netflix not knowing anything about it, mainly just because we like Simon Pegg.

We quickly fell in love with the show. I'm so glad we discovered this little gem.