SEASON 2 Begins in January 2011 as a PREQUEL SERIES

teavodelzell

[1]May 12, 2010
    • level: 8

Andy Whitfield, who has been battling non-Hodgkins lymphoma, will return to Starz in January. "Spartacus" will return in a prequel series, starring John Hannah and Lucy Lawless.

Contrary to rumors, the role of Spartacus will not be re-cast.

According to Starz, Whitfield is "responding well" to treatment and will appear as Spartacus in 2 out of 6 planned episodes. The prequel series will focus on the rise of the House of Batiatus, the gladiator academy, and will revolve around the relationship between Lawless' and Hannah's characters, Lucretia and Batiatus.

"The prequel story maintains the excitement and entertainment value of the first season of 'Spartacus,' giving audiences the engaging experience they've come to expect," Starz President and CEO Chris Albrecht said in a statement released Tuesday, May 11.

"Fortunately, Andy is responding to his treatments, and will be able to be part of this prequel in a limited capacity."

When Whitfield is able to get back to work on a more regular basis, the "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" story will continue where it left off. In the meantime, Starz is casting a new character, who preceded Spartacus as the top gladiator at the House of Batiatus.

Aside from Hannah, Lawless, and Whitfield, fans can expect to see more familiar faces among the prequel's cast members. Returning favorites include Peter Mensah (Doctore), Manu Bennett (Crixus), Antonio Te Maioha
 (Barca), Nick E. Tarabay (Ashur), Lesley-Ann Brandt 
(Naevia). Production will begin this summer in New Zealand.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

uk18flashback

[2]May 14, 2010
    • level: 4

So glad to hear Andy is getting better and what a great way to see more of the characters we know, love and hate. A great idea to continue the series without much of Spartacus but is the name going to still be 'Spartacus: Blood and Sand'? Which wouldn't be so bad.

KenzaAbdelhak

[3]May 17, 2010
    • level: 1

cool thanks for the news ! Long lives our champion Spartacus !

GiverSSJ

[4]May 17, 2010
    • level: 13
    teavodelzell wrote:

Andy Whitfield, who has been battling non-Hodgkins lymphoma, will return to Starz in January. "Spartacus" will return in a prequel series, starring John Hannah and Lucy Lawless.

Contrary to rumors, the role of Spartacus will not be re-cast.

According to Starz, Whitfield is "responding well" to treatment and will appear as Spartacus in 2 out of 6 planned episodes. The prequel series will focus on the rise of the House of Batiatus, the gladiator academy, and will revolve around the relationship between Lawless' and Hannah's characters, Lucretia and Batiatus.

"The prequel story maintains the excitement and entertainment value of the first season of 'Spartacus,' giving audiences the engaging experience they've come to expect," Starz President and CEO Chris Albrecht said in a statement released Tuesday, May 11.

"Fortunately, Andy is responding to his treatments, and will be able to be part of this prequel in a limited capacity."

When Whitfield is able to get back to work on a more regular basis, the "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" story will continue where it left off. In the meantime, Starz is casting a new character, who preceded Spartacus as the top gladiator at the House of Batiatus.

Aside from Hannah, Lawless, and Whitfield, fans can expect to see more familiar faces among the prequel's cast members. Returning favorites include Peter Mensah (Doctore), Manu Bennett (Crixus), Antonio Te Maioha
 (Barca), Nick E. Tarabay (Ashur), Lesley-Ann Brandt 
(Naevia). Production will begin this summer in New Zealand.

What will it be called?

TheRealJayDee

[5]May 18, 2010
    • level: 2
    Yeah!

Honour to the House of Batiatus, and a quick recovery for Andy!

apspeelman

[6]May 25, 2010
    • level: 6

I'm sorry to hear Andy is sick. That explains why the next season will be aprequel. I hope he gets better soon so that we can enjoy seeing Spartacus and Crixus plundering through the roman country side. Eventually they will both lead an army of 30.000 soldiers each with Crixus going north towards the alps, and Spartacus going south. Both beating the romans for some time before the meet their end.

I was in Paris last weekend and saw the statue in the gardens of the Louvre in Paris (I didn't realize Spartacus is a historic figure): http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Oath_Spartacus_Barrias_Tuileries.jpg

mude

[7]Jun 7, 2010
    • level: 15
    That's some great news, only half a year to go. Spartacus has been one hell of a surprise, glad I went all in for the ride

arseblog

[8]Sep 3, 2010
    • level: 11
    This is great news. I was lost for words after the first season when all the characters I'd come to love were all gone. This is perfect.

G3ckOz

[9]Sep 9, 2010
    • level: 13

Oh boy. Not to say i'm not looking forward to it, but a prequel? Why? Anyone else got more info on this? As i know my history this should only be the beginning, there would be plenty to built from the escape of the gladiators and slaves. Quite frankly i'm afraid the prequel will kinda ruin the first season, we'll just have to wait and see. I hope i'm wrong.