Whitefield will not be returning to Spartacus at all

Prugaroes

[1]Sep 18, 2010
    • level: 11

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20427348,00.html?xid=rss-fullcontent

His apparent cancer resurgence will require aggressive treatment and therefore the actor needs to be with his family and will not be replaying the role. Sorry guys, but I dont really see how the show can go on without him...

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

telvisnostic

[2]Sep 18, 2010
    • level: 52

I don't see how the show can go on without him either.

nellyg619

[3]Sep 19, 2010
    • level: 17

devastating news and i dont reli see how the show can go on either unless they do backstories into different characters like Crixus and stuff??? is there not a chance he could join again if god willing he beats the cancer??

Edited on 09/19/2010 10:09am

haldrey

[4]Sep 19, 2010
    • level: 22
    Sad, sad news, not because of the show but because it is extremly sad to see young people affected by this terrible sickness. I include here where I read the news. Let us all pray for his well being.

http://paralleluniverse.msn.com/features/tv/the-wrap/andy-witfield-cancer-returns-spartacus-postponed/story/?GT1=28140

telvisnostic

[5]Sep 19, 2010

He and others going through this are in my thoughts and prayers.

Starz! has released an official stated on their Facebook page about it:

Starz wrote:

Andy Whitfield, star of Starz's "Spartacus: Blood and Sand," has been advised by his doctors to immediately resume aggressive treatment for a recurrence of cancer, as a result of which he will not be returning for the series' second season, which was tentatively set to air in September 2011.

"It's with a deep sense of disappointment that I must step aside from such an exceptional project as 'Spartacus' and all the wonderful people involved. It seems that it is time for myself and my family to embark on another extraordinary journey. Thank you sincerely for the support so far," said Whitfield.

"Our hearts and prayers are with Andy and his family during this difficult time," said Starz President and CEO Chris Albrecht. "Andy is not only an incredible actor whose portrayal of Spartacus made an indelible impression on Starz audiences, he is also an amazing human being whose courage, strength, and grace in the face of adversity have inspired all of us."

No decisions have yet been made about the future of the series. "Right now, we just want to extend our concern and support to Andy and his family," said Carmi Zlotnik, Managing Director, Starz Media. "We will address our programming plans at some later date."

Starz still plans to air the prequel to "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" in January 2011. Entitled "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena," it focuses on the House of Batiatus before Spartacus arrives in Capua and stars returning cast members John Hannah, Lucy Lawless, Peter Mensah and Manu Bennett, along with newcomer Dustin Clare.

Edited on 09/19/2010 6:53pm

Quickdraw_

[6]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 5
    This is not good on so many levels

welwynrose

[7]Sep 20, 2010
    • level: 14
    Such sad news but personally I'll think they'll re-cast

haldrey

[8]Sep 27, 2010
    • level: 22
    They are now talking about re-casting but they should either hold the show until Whitfield is ready and able or scratch the show altogether, even the prequel. Spartacus was such a strong character that using another actor will be a disaster.

telvisnostic

[9]Sep 27, 2010

Haldrey, you make a good point. If they were to re-cast him, who would or should play the role. He should look a bit like Andy too. I've been racking my brain trying to come up with someone.

Edited on 09/27/2010 2:10pm

xenatorres

[10]Sep 30, 2010
    • level: 2
    Starz is looking for a replacement:

Http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/09/spartacus-recasting-andy-w
    hitfield.html

Sorry to Whitfield, but glad Starz isn't just tossing the series. Especially because this Xenite is loving the "Xena" cast/crew reunion.

boom-moo

[11]Oct 7, 2010
    • level: 75
    Oh my goodness I'm so sorry with the news. I wish the very best to Andy and his family.
    Starz wrote:
    Starz still plans to air the prequel to "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" in January 2011. Entitled "Spartacus: Gods of the Arena," it focuses on the House of Batiatus before Spartacus arrives in Capua and stars returning cast members John Hannah, Lucy Lawless, Peter Mensah and Manu Bennett, along with newcomer Dustin Clare.
    This doesn't sound bad.

I hope they do a good recast because Andy was a huge pillar of the show and I really can't imagine anyone else playing the role.

TheRealJayDee

[12]Oct 8, 2010

Damnit... My hopes and wishes are with Andy and his family, may he recover soon! As for recasting: Spartacus has become one of my favourite shows of the last few years, if not one of my favourite shows ever. I was really exited about a second (and maybe third) season, and curious if they could keep up the high quality of their storytelling. Spartacus' story has so much potential for epic plotlines and interesting character development. Yet, resuming the main story without Andy as Spartacus would be so weird that I'm unsure if it wasn't for the best to just let it go. Although I would totally understand if Starz decided to continue without him, this IS one of their biggest shows and they have to think buisness. I'm not sure if I would want to watch it. Ah, **** up situation... In the end, let's just hope for Andy to get better! We'll see what happens with the show...

bigrocxbl

[13]Oct 14, 2010
    • level: 6
    I ca't believe it took several posts before someone said anything about how sad it is that Andy has cancer! I know this is TV.COM but still... I'd love to be thinking about season 2 considering how great the first season was and ended, but the guys a human being! I hope he gets better, but I don't see how the show factors into his wellbeing at all. I love the show, and would love to see more of the insanity that season 1 brought us, but some folks here need to step back and realise it's just TV.

As far as replacing him in the show... I just don't know how they could do it. Considering he plays the titular character, and the show is mostly held on his shoulders that replacing him seems almost impossible. It isn't like replacing Darrens... It's almost like having to replace Tony Soprano mid-run. I'd take seeing the rise and fall of the 'House of Battiatus' hoping for Andys recovery and maybe getting him back into a role it seems he was made to play. If not, maybe they'd have to cut their losses, or cast someone remarkable (like the guy who played the lead in 300) who could pick it up.

Anyone think that guy could be a solid replacement, if need be?

LudwigGeerman

[14]Oct 17, 2010
    • level: 4

I love the series because of Whitefield. I hope they put him back on screen when he's well again. I agree the show will not be close to the same without Whitefield.

boom-moo

[15]Oct 18, 2010
    • level: 75
    bigrocxbl wrote:
    Who knows? It'd be hard to get used to someone else but I agree that Gerard Butler could fit.

Monakh

[17]Oct 30, 2010

boom-moo wrote:
    bigrocxbl wrote:
    Who knows? It'd be hard to get used to someone else but I agree that Gerard Butler could fit.

Sparta(cus)?! THIS IS MADNESS!!! (Kicks Gerard Butler down a well).

vcivi

[18]Nov 3, 2010
    • level: 12

They are saying that the guy from Prison Break...Michael Scofield .....is asked for a season 2??!!

CindyRileyMi

[19]Nov 22, 2010

Ya know -I think Brian Austin Green resembles the actor who played Spartacus.... Maybe they should think about him if they have to re-cast. I'd hate to see Andy Whitefield not be there though - he's an awesomely talented and VERY handsome actor who MAKES Spartacus into the show that it is...Prayers to he and his family.

Edited on 11/22/2010 2:23pm

visceous

[20]Jan 3, 2011
    • level: 7
    There is a British Actor called Bill Ward who resembles Andy and is of similiar build.