Whitefield will not be returning to Spartacus at all

boom-moo

[21]Jan 6, 2011
    • level: 75
    Andy is gonna make a short appearance in the 1st episode of the prequel. Hope he is fit soon enough to retake his role for a second series.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

nico2256

[22]Jan 11, 2011
    • level: 2

All together this is the worst news. I was all excited about Season 2 starting end of this year or early part of 12". I sure he does get better and comes back to finish the role.

If they re-cast, well...umm.... How about Brad Pitt. He was pretty good in Troy why not play out Spartacus.

telvisnostic

[23]Jan 28, 2011
    • level: 52

They've got a new cast for Andy's part and his name is Liam McIntyre. I've never heard of him before.

:
    Liam McIntyre, an Australian actor, is about to get a major career boost. It was announced Monday that McIntyre will replace Andy Whitfield on Starz' hit show "Spartacus: Blood and Sand."

The casting of McIntyre was necessitated due to the news that Whitfield's lymphoma, originally thought to have been dealt with, had returned. "It's been the toughest thing," Mr. McIntyre told The New York Times . "Every actor dreams of getting a big break, a big opportunity. Andy's such a wonderful actor. I don't want to follow that guy, and everybody hurts that he's had to give up the role, myself included."

The show's creator and producer, Steven S. DeKnight found McIntyre in an audition tape. The actor looked thin and weak, hardly the build of a gladiator. McIntyre's audition tape was made while the actor was working on the set for a feature film, "Frozen Moments," which required the actor to lose a lot of weight.

"When I got this role back in January, the director rung me up, he said: 'Congratulations. Now, have you seen "The Machinist?"' I was a rake," McIntyre recalled.

Since casting McIntyre, DeKnight has placed him on a strict exercise regimen designed to get him the build required for the show. DeKnight would look at photographs of the actor every two weeks to see how the actor progressed before making the decision to cast him.

"All I know is my foreseeable future is living in the gym," Mr. McIntyre said, "they'll tell me when I can start doing the lines and doing the performance. There'll be some acting there eventually, I'm sure."

http://www.collegenews.com/index.php?/article/liam_mcintyre_5488751224/

Edited on 01/28/2011 12:41pm

Yaspaa

[24]Jan 29, 2011
    • level: 79
    Have a swift recovery Andy.

NIGHTMARE-7

[25]Feb 27, 2011
    • level: 7

well i saw a new movie with andy whitefield The Clinic so is that means that he's ok now? if yes then he's gonna play again in the series anyone have heard something?

telvisnostic

[26]Mar 7, 2011
    • level: 52

I think that movie was filmed before he was diagnosed with the disease. Last I read was that he had to go back for treatment.

ice_edge

[27]Nov 5, 2011
    • level: 13
    And now he's dead.

RIP Andy. You will be missed by many.