Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Apr 09, 2010 on Starz

• Incredible.

This is what the show needs. The return of Glaber to Capua brings much drama and gives us a chance to see Spartacus once again take down several soldiers single-handedly. ALso, if anything, this episode helped me look back Crixus' shortcomings and the way the writers made him Spartacus' enemy and see him for who he really is: a man in love. If we can respect Spartacus despite the things he's been forced to do, it's easier to respect Crixus for the things he does in the name of love.

There was a lot of violence and a lot of sex here, as usual, but violence prevailed in the end, as usual, and we see Crixus pay for his love by being lashed over and over. I'm surprised that Batiatus and Lucretia didn't have anybody killed, just as I'm surprised that Ilithyia wasn't killed by Glaber upon learning how she killed the cousin of Crassus.. wow, just saying all those names gets me dizzy.

This episode sets up the finale perfectly, with the idea of a slave rebellion being set up more and more. The brothers have already announced their allegiance to Spartacus, and it should be interesting to see how it all pans out. It seems as if there should also be a final battle between Crixus and Spartacus.. it ought to be fun, regardless of what happens.