Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Starz (ended 2010)

boom-moo

Spartacus: Blood and Sand Fan Reviews (47)

• Give it a chance. The pay-off is worth it! I'll try to be as vague as possible yet some spoilers may be present.

I had my doubts about this show after the first couple of episodes. The dialogue and writing appeared weak, the action unoriginal, however I stuck with it and I must say I am glad I did.

The writers really built up a tense and engaging first season ending in a bloody and unbelievably satisfying finale.

The show at first appeared as nothing more than a mindless action show filled with gratuitous sex and violence. However if you can get past these things it is something truly worth watching. The characters are well developed each with an agenda or purpose that is explored in great depth without making the show convoluted and difficult to follow. Each action scene is well shot, with great special effects considering the budget. The action also does not distract from the story. You end up becoming involved in these characters and their situations. You care if they succeed or fail. You'll also find yourself rooting for characters you may have dismissed a few episodes earlier.

Towards the end of the season the tension begins to mount and you find yourself on the egde of your seat as Spartacus gets closer and closer to his revenge. In the end you are not disappointed. I have not been this satisfied by a season finale in a long time. While satisfied you are still left wanting more. I hope Andy Whitfield makes a full recovery and is back on our screens before long. He carries the show well and I think we have seen just a peak of Spartacus: Blood and Sand's full potential. Bring on season 2!