Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Starz (ended 2010)

boom-moo

Spartacus: Blood and Sand Fan Reviews (48)

• Give these Gladiators a chance!

It was the boring December-January season (TV-wise) that made me give this series a chance. I wasn't much impressed by the first episode (I thought the effects were too "300" - a lot of slow motion, flying blood - and the story didn't interest me enough either) but got hooked after episode 3. The intrigue, betrayals and schemes were great and the cast really got their act together as it went (everybody's great but I especially love John Hannah and his Batiatus). The violence and the gore took turns between the graphic novel style of "300" and the pure gore, no frills, more real-life effects (especially after Spartacus goes to the Pits). It is not recommended for everyone, though, the most sensitive and puritan might feel offended (there's also sex galore). However, if sex and violence is not a problem for you, you should definitely give this series a try, because it is highly entertaining!