Spartacus: Gods of the Arena

Beneath The Mask

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 11, 2011 on Starz

• Tensions arise in the Batiatus House.

There wasn't as much focus on the life of the Gladiator's in this episode; instead, we got quite a lot of tension within the house of Batiatus and Quintus' attempts to gain favor in the games. It's becoming more and more clear how this prequel connects with the rest of the first season. I still think that all of the plots involving Spartacus are way more interesting than anything the prequel has done to date, but that doesn't mean that this isn't entertaining. The prequel seems to be building towards a crazy ending, and somewhere hidden behind all the sex and violence of this episode was some interesting developments.

I'm not sure how I feel about Gannicus actually being interested in Doctore's wife, but I suppose I shouldn't think about it too much. It gives the character of Gannicus something to do.. I thought he was supposed to be the lead actor of the show, but he's been in the background of everything else so far.

I do enjoy the way they're showing Quintus' rise, as well as Crixus. I think this is the first time we actually got a semi-explanation from Crixus as to why he's so obsessed with winning. I remember being confused as to why in the world Crixus was so gung-ho about winning when we didn't even know anything about his past. However, things are beginning to make a little more sense.

With Gaia dead and tensions even higher between Quintus and his father, I look forward to seeing how in the world Quintus deals with his father. One downside to a prequel arriving after the sequel is that we already know who's alive and who's dead in the original series.. now, there's no surprise in the death of certain characters. The only surprise is how it happens, which isn't necessarily as exciting.