Q&A thread

boom-moo

[1]Jan 23, 2011
    • level: 75

This thread was created to try and keep the forum uncluttered. Just in case several threads are opened just to ask all kind of questions related to the show, I figured that having all questions asked in here will make the forum look less messy and it'll be easier for everyone to find their way around.

So if you have any question about the show, the actors, or tv.com in general, here is where they should be posted. Chances will be higher of getting more and better replies than if the new topic threads keep coming and getting quickly buried.

If it becomes active enough, I'll edit this first post with the most frequently asked questions to ease a bit the task.

Thank you
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jawill_79

[2]Jan 31, 2011
    • level: 8
    Why did they decide to do a prequel instead of continuing the story line from Blood and the Sand?

CjTl2005

[3]Jan 31, 2011
    • level: 11

Andy Whitfield is fighting non-hodgkins lymphoma. They initially thought they had it beat, but it has relapsed and they are using a much more aggressive approach in dealing with it this time.

This article is the most current one I can find on the matter.

pekkasteele

[4]Feb 1, 2011
    • level: 7

That is strange, in that article they say Andy will be shown in flashbacks, but, how cn it be flashbacks when Goods are a prequel to Blood? Doesn't make sense.

torque4015

[5]Feb 1, 2011
    • level: 18
    pekkasteele wrote:

That is strange, in that article they say Andy will be shown in flashbacks, but, how cn it be flashbacks when Goods are a prequel to Blood? Doesn't make sense.

It was in the first episode they showed Spartacus killing Batiatus.

pekkasteele

[6]Feb 2, 2011
    • level: 7

torque4015 wrote:
    pekkasteele wrote:

It was in the first episode they showed Spartacus killing Batiatus.

Aah ok, it was that short bit, thought they meant some new footage we have not seen before.

CjTl2005

[7]Feb 6, 2011
    There still could be more in the 6th and final episode of Goda of the Arena. I believe they had begun filming a second season when the Whitfield's cancer returned.

ice_edge

[8]Feb 23, 2011
    • level: 13

Man it sucks that Andy's cancer has not been treated. I really wish quick recovery for the man. Man cancer sucks.

Anywho I have a really interesting question to ask. In this show people speak very oddly for some reason. They are using some kind of special way of communicating. Certain words are used in certain ways. Sometimes it's a bit hard to follow the dialog. My question is why the creators chose to do it this way?

Edited on 02/24/2011 8:23pm
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[9]Feb 24, 2011
    I love the language they use, some kind of archaic grammar so to speak. Since English as we know it nowadays wasn't obviously spoken back then I guess it reinforces the fact that the action is set far behind our present time.

ice_edge

[10]Feb 24, 2011
    To be precise I'm pretty sure they spoke Latin back in Roman Empire days.

What is archaic grammar? "it reinforces the fact that the action is set far behind our present time"

What did you mean by that? I kinda did not get it. Can you please rephrase it.

boom-moo

[11]Feb 26, 2011
    It is a grammar (and on occasion a choice of words) that is not the same as the one we know nowadays because it has fallen into disuse, and hence it reinforces that fact that the show is set in a time before ours.

For example, instead of "Our champion should be absent such contest, until recovery" we would say "Our champion shouldn't take part in such a contest until recovery" and instead of "grattitude" we say "than you", and so on.

ice_edge

[12]Feb 26, 2011
    Oh yeah now I kinda get it. I do concur that it does sound pretty cool when they talk but as a downside at times it was really hard to follow dialog. That is probably the only small minus I even have on this entire show. Hmm but didn't guy like Andy Whitefield(Spartacus) talk like we do without archaic grammar in Blood and Sand?

How come?

boom-moo

[13]Feb 26, 2011
    ice_edge wrote:
    Hmm but didn't guy like Andy Whitefield(Spartacus) talk like we do without archaic grammar in Blood and Sand? How come?
    Not sure I got your question. Do you mean how come Spartacus didn't use the archaic grammar? He did to some extent, but he wasn't as well schooled as as Romans were so that is also reflected.

ice_edge

[14]Feb 26, 2011
    boom-moo wrote:
    ice_edge wrote:
    Hmm but didn't guy like Andy Whitefield(Spartacus) talk like we do without archaic grammar in Blood and Sand? How come?
    Not sure I got your question. Do you mean how come Spartacus didn't use the archaic grammar? He did to some extent, but he wasn't as well schooled as as Romans were so that is also reflected.

Yeah that's what I meant.

So in other words he is a Thracian(Spartacus) who did not speak Latin as good as others did and that reflects in English that other actors use more old English to reflect that? Am I getting that straight?

boom-moo

[15]Feb 27, 2011
    ice_edge wrote:
    So in other words he is a Thracian(Spartacus) who did not speak Latin as good as others did and that reflects in English that other actors use more old English to reflect that? Am I getting that straight?
    Well, not exactly what I meant. That would have been the case if the show would have reflected that Thracians, Gauls and people from all lands didn't share a language (they only did with the Dagan-Ashur storyline to play the drama of it) but in the show they neither seem to have any problem at all communicating with the Romans, nor show any trace of foreign language accents. It's a practical decision to ignore the language barrier and use English so we can obviously follow it, so we have to assume that they all used the same language.

So, assuming they all used the same language, schooled Romans would use a different grammar and choice of words than people from a nomadic tribe, for example. The former were a far more evolutioned/modern form of society (so to speak) than the later, so each reflected in their language their background. Hence, Spartacus would hardly talk exactly the same as Batiatus would, even if they shared a language.

ice_edge

[16]Feb 27, 2011
    Yeah I think I can follow what you mean boom.

But if we would be realistic here there is no way Thracians and Romans for example could understand one other. I mean they must have spoken different languages. I am referring to how Legatus and the rest of Thracian council spoke freely to one other in beginning of BAS. I know it was done so we could follow the story but realistically that's not so believable unless Thracians knew Latin. And I doubt that Romans would bother to know the languages of other people besides their own. I guess I should go and do my history research concerning this matter....hmmm *thinks*

boom-moo

[17]Feb 27, 2011
    ice_edge wrote:
    I know it was done so we could follow the story but realistically that's not so believable unless Thracians knew Latin.
    Exactly but we probably don't even know what their language was so they'll need to have a lot of actors speak in a foreign language and add subtitles all the time, let alone find a way to struggle with the language barrier between the Romans and the rest. Wouldn't have worked, not practical at all.

mwgfgrey

[18]Mar 13, 2011
    • level: 5

Quick question. I've seen Blood and Sand already. I'm just wondering if there are as many awkward sex scenes in this than in Blood and Sand. I'm a 25 y/o male and I found myself fast forwarding through quite a few sex scenes in Blood and Sand. It's not gonna stop me from watching the show because I heard it's great, but I just want to prepare myself for it.

ice_edge

[19]Mar 17, 2011
    mwgfgrey wrote:

Quick question. I've seen Blood and Sand already. I'm just wondering if there are as many awkward sex scenes in this than in Blood and Sand. I'm a 25 y/o male and I found myself fast forwarding through quite a few sex scenes in Blood and Sand. It's not gonna stop me from watching the show because I heard it's great, but I just want to prepare myself for it.

Yep I think Gota is one of the most wile, gory, foul mouthed and sex packed series that I have ever seen.

It will be loads and loads of it here so you better prepare yourself.

angelpuppet

[20]Apr 7, 2011
    C,mon the sex the brutal action. Is what makes the serie good. And the great storyline ofcourse.and ice you where right.About the romans speaking latin. That was correct. And sometimes i think the language is a little bit to much.I mean every minute you hear 'BY JUPITERS COCK xD.