Spartacus: Gods of the Arena

Paterfamilias

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 04, 2011 on Starz

7.8
  • Not as good as the first 2 chapters but certainly watchable

Ok, I admit it, I love Spartacus, the sex, the swearing, the violence, the constant, almost careless, reveal of nudity. Oh the storyline is quite fetching too. However, there can be a breaking point for me with too much sex, swearing, backstabbing etc and this episode possibly touch the breaking point for me. The way they 'raped' the slave girl was even more uncomfortable for me to watch than the previous episode where Gannicus were forced to have sex with his best friend's wife. And the threesome thing is really getting a bit too much for me too, I mean a little here and there (xena fan here) can be temptation, too much, it becomes a bore. That said, this episode is just simply not as good as the previous two. Seeing young Batiatus completely helpless under his seemingly political (read weak) father's grasp just doesn't seem right to me (of course here is waiting on how he would plan to kill his father), there are some violence and somehow Crixus suddenly become this super gladiator just isn't believable in my humble opinion. The only two saving graces for this episode are 1. the portrayal of Peter Mensah's Doctore/Oenomaus. His discomfort in being forced to become the Doctore was quite genuine, and it would be awesome to see how he eventually gained respect from his peers to become the Doctore of Spartacus : Blood and Sand. 2. Xena *cough* aka Lucy Lawless's portrayal of Lucretia in this episode is actually quite touching. She was kind to Oenomaus's wife and ensure that she 'hide' when Vettius and his friend arrived and possibly wanted to ravage her in their pervy ways. I did hear rumours that she might survive her attack and reappear on season 2 so perhaps the producers are trying to make her more likeable, either way, it works for me. I do love Spartacus nonetheless and can't wait for the next chapter.
  • Paterfamilias

Paterfamilias was a great episode of Spartacus: Gods of the Arena. I enjoyed watching this episode because it was easy to connect with Batiatus as his father returned and started undoing every thing he had set in motion, and forfeited every thing he had worked for. You could definitely see the frustration build, especially in the end when his father announces he will be staying. It was interesting to see Varo spreading word of the pleasures of the House of Batiatus, and sad to see what slaves probably had to go through in those times. This is where Crixus first makes his mark on the arena and joins the Brotherhood, receiving the mark. The scenery and acting is amazing. The plot lines are cool, and the action is spectacular. I look forward to watching the next episode!!!!!
  • The father of Quintus returns

I've always liked Batiatus as a character, even though he's proven himself to be one of the sneakiest and most horrible people I've seen in a TV show. It's episodes like this that make you realize how easy it is to like him. The second we were introduced to his father, the true leader of the Ludus, I felt frustrated. The father seemed to exist simply to undo everything that's been done in the previous two episodes. Every time he went over Batiatus' head, I felt confused as to how Batiatus could let this happen.

The episode was probably the weakest so far of the six new ones, but it at least established Crixus' ascent to Champion of Capua.. we know it's going to happen, so it was interesting to see the first steps he took. I'm also slowly growing to like Gannicus more, even though he didn't have a huge role in this episode. I like that he's feeling guilt towards what he did with Doctore's wife and not acting like a typical Gladiator.

I was actually surprised at how the violence and sex were toned down a bit.. okay, maybe not at all, but it felt like there was less focus on the sex and the fighting and more on the tension within the Batiatus house. With the father returned, it will hopefully lead to some interesting developments between father and son. And also, will Gaia have anything to do but flirt and offer sex to people? She seems pretty pointless so far, just like that actress did in Dexter.