Spartacus: Gods of the Arena

Paterfamilias

Aired Friday 10:00 PM Feb 04, 2011 on Starz

7.9
  • Not as good as the first 2 chapters but certainly watchable

Ok, I admit it, I love Spartacus, the sex, the swearing, the violence, the constant, almost careless, reveal of nudity. Oh the storyline is quite fetching too. However, there can be a breaking point for me with too much sex, swearing, backstabbing etc and this episode possibly touch the breaking point for me. The way they 'raped' the slave girl was even more uncomfortable for me to watch than the previous episode where Gannicus were forced to have sex with his best friend's wife. And the threesome thing is really getting a bit too much for me too, I mean a little here and there (xena fan here) can be temptation, too much, it becomes a bore. That said, this episode is just simply not as good as the previous two. Seeing young Batiatus completely helpless under his seemingly political (read weak) father's grasp just doesn't seem right to me (of course here is waiting on how he would plan to kill his father), there are some violence and somehow Crixus suddenly become this super gladiator just isn't believable in my humble opinion. The only two saving graces for this episode are 1. the portrayal of Peter Mensah's Doctore/Oenomaus. His discomfort in being forced to become the Doctore was quite genuine, and it would be awesome to see how he eventually gained respect from his peers to become the Doctore of Spartacus : Blood and Sand. 2. Xena *cough* aka Lucy Lawless's portrayal of Lucretia in this episode is actually quite touching. She was kind to Oenomaus's wife and ensure that she 'hide' when Vettius and his friend arrived and possibly wanted to ravage her in their pervy ways. I did hear rumours that she might survive her attack and reappear on season 2 so perhaps the producers are trying to make her more likeable, either way, it works for me. I do love Spartacus nonetheless and can't wait for the next chapter.
SYFY