Spartacus: Vengeance Forums

Starz (ended 2012)

Episode 10 'Wrath of the Gods' discussion thread

boom-moo

[1]Mar 28, 2012
    • level: 75
    Please post your opinions/comments/discussion topics on episode 10 "Wrath of the Gods" here.

-Spoilers are not allowed.
    -Bashing ships/characters/cast/crew is not allowed.
    -Discussion is welcome, arguing is not.
    -Be respecful, keep it cool.

Thank you

(I'll see to open a discussion thread for every new episode every Thursday. Past experience shows that comments posted before the episode airs tend to spoil the episode for spoiler free people and also, episode discussion threads that are opened days before their airing date tend to end up buried and reopened by different users which leads to confusion and clutter. Any comments regarding upcoming episodes should be done in the Spoilers thread until the episode has aired. Thank you.)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

marknmo

[2]Mar 30, 2012
    • level: 12
    This was a thrilling episode, wow. So much running through my head right now. The fights were awesome. The twists were great. Wow.

Few gripes, though:
    - All of the characters that make this show so good are now dead.
    - Asher died at the hands of Naevia, of all peeople...blah.
    - Lucretia, whyyyyyyyyyyyy???

PenguinSuzie

[3]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 10

@marknmo I agree so much.

Is Illythia dead or do you think there's any chance she survived. I hope she's alive. The show really won't be the same without the characters that died this episode. Great episode though. Some of the bloody death scenes seemed kind of ridiculous though.

I knew they'd probably kill Ashur off but it's a pity IMO that they did. He was my favourite character even though he was evil and slightly crazy.

A lot of the characters left are ones I don't care about.

What Lucretia did was awful, she really was mad afterall.

Was Glaber's general killed, I don't think I noticed?

Edited on 03/31/2012 3:24am
    Edited 2 total times.

boom-moo

[4]Mar 31, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:
    Is Illythia dead or do you think there's any chance she survived. I hope she's alive.
    I think she is alive, probably the main villain driven by even more madness in the next season. And even more so since Glaber finally fell. Maybe she will try to enroll Varinius to her cause. She certainly seems capable to pull some strings on her own.

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    Was Glaber's general killed, I don't think I noticed?
    I don't think that any Roman was left alive.

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    The show really won't be the same without the characters that died this episode.
    I thought the same when Batiatus was killed and yet I keep loving it. The writers are extremely clever to come up with absolutely engaging twists and plots. And it looks like next season the rebellion takes a way grander scale, so it makes sense for 1 to 1 rivalries not to be as important leaving way for an army vs army kind of thing. It kind of explains some of the deaths in this episode.

Mira and Oenomaus gone was expected. It was clear that Mira and Spartacus weren't one any longer (were they ever?) so whatever. Oenomaus half blind and all... too revealing that he would fall. Good that he made peace with Gannicus before passing.

As for Ashur, baddies come at 5 a pound so they'll find another. And he would be pretty useless in the grander scheme of things and bigger battles. I'm not particularly bothered that he didn't make it but Naevia killing him was a bit

Only death I was surprised by was Lucretia's. Very awesome of her to take the sweetest revenge by taking Ilithya's baby with her. Extremely satisfied that my guts were wrong about Nasir not making it!

It's gonna be an awfully long hiatus, roll on next season

PenguinSuzie

[5]Mar 31, 2012

I'll look forward to next season but I don't think I'll be as excited, I like Illythia so if she survives that could be a story I'd be interested in.

I seem to be in the minority but by this point I don't actually like Gannicus.

boom-moo wrote:
    Maybe she will try to enroll Varinius to her cause.
    I'm pretty sure he's dead.
    boom-moo wrote:
    And it looks like next season the rebellion takes a way grander scale, so it makes sense for 1 to 1 rivalries not to be as important leaving way for an army vs army kind of thing.
    I'm sure the scale will be much larger, but they shouldn't get rid of the one on one rivalries alltogether as they're IMO much more interesting and character based than a single battle against faceless goons.
    boom-moo wrote:
    As for Ashur, baddies come at 5 a pound so they'll find another.
    They do but not really interesting ones IMO.

Edited on 03/31/2012 8:23am
    Edited 2 total times.

yutg25

[6]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 5

PenguinSuzie wrote:

I'll look forward to next season but I don't think I'll be as excited, I like Illythia so if she survives that could be a story I'd be interested in.

I seem to be in the minority but by this point I don't actually like Gannicus.

boom-moo wrote:

Varinius got a face full of burning coal/oil. Even if he survived that which I doubt Glabber would have probably had Ashur kill Varinius and any of his men that survived killed so that Glabber's trick was not exposed.

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    And it looks like next season the rebellion takes a way grander scale, so it makes sense for 1 to 1 rivalries not to be as important leaving way for an army vs army kind of thing.
    I'm sure the scale will be much larger, but they shouldn't get rid of the one on one rivalries alltogether as they're IMO much more interesting and character based than a single battle against faceless goons.

But the one on one rivalries and politics made it so good. This season had a lot of drama blood and violence but I missed the screaming and maneuvering somewhat.

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    As for Ashur, baddies come at 5 a pound so they'll find another.
    They do but not really interesting ones IMO.

I didn't think Navea could kill him. I know I said she could kill the Egyptian if she was really lucky; but Ashur was a great villain while the Egyptian was a big brute. After Navea castrated him I thought Navea will let him live forever deprived of his manhood. I feel kinda sorry for Ashur. He was on top of the world. If he had just chosen another woman to screw. He would probably be alive and he would have dragged Glabber out of that temple. The Egyptian would probably still be alive too.

I actually thought the series was finished. I mean everyone dead. I think the only one from the original cast of Blood and Sand left is Crixus and Illythia (If she lives). What are they going to do now? I was shocked to see Mira die. I was sad and then Oenemeius. Up to the moment Spartacus shoved his sword into Glabber I thought he was going to survive ((Well the secret tunnel was still there) Then in the next season Glabber will find his wife Illythia she will have a bouncing baby boy to pass of as Glabber's child for next season.

Did this battle really happen? Watching this epi made me remember another Spartacus miniseries I watch a few years back. Spartacus' men were trapped in a mountain and they rappelled down the cliff face to surprise the romans.

I wonder if they thought they would be cancelled and thats why they made a finale that could serve as the series finale.

boom-moo

[7]Mar 31, 2012
    PenguinSuzie wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    True, I totally forgot

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    boom-moo wrote:
    I agree but I think (or at least I hope) that TPTB will find a way to still fit in that vibe, probably through Ilithya. Another season of Spartacus and his small bunch of men hiding from Glaber and beating the odds "could" have turned out somehow repetitive (and I say "could" because the writing is so good that they seem to manage to keep us at the edge of our seats no matter what they plan to do). It should also be interesting to see how Spartacus manages to bring about a massive slave raise-in-arms, how the army gets together and how both rebels and Romans move across the board game: the odds each face, the strategies and whatnot.
    yutg25 wrote:
    Did this battle really happen? Watching this epi made me remember another Spartacus miniseries I watch a few years back. Spartacus' men were trapped in a mountain and they rappelled down the cliff face to surprise the romans. I wonder if they thought they would be cancelled and thats why they made a finale that could serve as the series finale.
    I don't know if season 2 was fully filmed and edited by then, but I remember having read this: "Just like it did with Spartacus' second season, which was ordered before the series had premiered, Starz today renewed the toga-and-sandals drama for a third season ahead of the January 27 debut of Season 2, Spartacus: Vengeance. Production on the yet-untitled third season is slated to begin in New Zealand in early 2012." Source.
    Edited on 03/31/2012 10:23am

PenguinSuzie

[8]Mar 31, 2012

Some people have speculated if the baby could possibly survive. I know that there are instances of babies falling from like 10 story buildings or something and surviving with barely a broken bone because of body mass and the fact thatthey were so relaxed whereas an adult would be tense and die. I'd love to think that the child could survive but I think the drop here is to big, and given how young the baby is I don't really think there's any chance.

Poor Illythia. She's a monster but she really makes you feel sorry for her every time something awful happens to her.

Edited on 03/31/2012 11:59am

boom-moo

[9]Mar 31, 2012
    I don't think there's any chance either. It's a newborn, premature and it's night hence cold (surely for a baby). Even if Lucretia didn't let go off the baby and he survived the fall, it doesn't look like the bottom of that cliff is a frequented area.

PenguinSuzie

[10]Mar 31, 2012

boom-moo wrote:
    it doesn't look like the bottom of that cliff is a frequented area.
    I'm not sure, they have mentioned having to clean people offthe cliff, maybe I'm just taking them to literally.

Edited on 03/31/2012 12:04pm

amaryllis88

[11]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 20

What an amazing season ender!! I'm sad that there won't be another Spartacus next Friday for me to watch! FrownThere weren't any slow periods in this episode either, it seemed as though we went on an exhilarating ride from beginning to end! Yeah it was foolish for Nemetes to take people and try to face the Romans himself, but he seemed to have gotten the ball rolling on everything. Spartacus came to his senses and thought up a plan, he got his best men with him, and they saved the day. I wasn't too sure of Saxa from the beginning, but since Mira was killed, it's like she became a little more likeable, imo, I hope she sticks around for next season. Also glad to see Nassir still around too, same with Agron.

Happy to have a reunited Gannicus and Oenameous come to terms before they were ripped apart again, it was sad to see him go, but as boom-moo mentioned, with only one eye, it was the only way for him to go really. I can't see him living to see another season, and his story was told well in this season for him to come to a close in peace. So the Egyptian went down finally, it took slashes from Spartacus, Doctore, and Gannicus to finally slay the beast! Nice ending too!

And as I mentioned for last episode's discussion, I figured they were setting up Naevia to overcome a big foe, I guess they chose Ashur to be her dragon, yeah, her coming this far in the series, I can't really see it, but I'm going to suspend my belief of reality, and yay for Naevia for killing Ashur. Wonder if Glaber knew Ashur would come to harm when he was sent to deliver a message. Those people usually get killed quickly, poor Lucius, got beheaded too, so it was only fair to return the favor.

Lucretia!!! So this was her plan all along, I kind of realized that she wanted the baby for herself, little will they know that when they get to the after-life that they're holding Illy's and Sparty's baby! It was so beautiful the way she fell back off the cliff, and her line, "Quintas always wanted a son," or something like that.

The way they had Illythia fall to the ground sort of reminded me of the way Lucretia fell in the ludus at the end of the first season finale, during the bloodbath. The way the camera sort of zoomed in on her face, I'm wondering if season 3 is going to start with Illy's face, it definitely was reminiscent of that final scene.

Wow is all I can say!! I'm pretty sure they'll come back bigger and bolder with a slew of new and interesting characters that we can sink our teeth into!!! I can't wait to see Sparty's army, especially with Crixus, and his men at his side.

ice_edge

[12]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 13

Before I get into this awesome finale I have to say..... Told you so... Gannicus wins...(Egyptian) fatality.....

Ok back to the finale.... Have to say and I still can't believe this that I can say...probably best episode this entire season. Starz I dunno what you do but you sure know how to outdo yourselves each and everytime. Seriously I can't remember a better top notch quality series than this. Just always delivers. To get 5 star season you truly have to be a star *bows*.

Ok so we can start with things I did not predict. Mira's death (which obviously was all but forgotten when the last strike was struck by our brutal rebel) and Oenamaus death in this season where 2 of those. I guess the actor is not returning for the next one. I could say I was indifferent to their deaths but I can't see how they truly where that necessary when episode was watched and done with.

Things that I did unfortunately predict with pretty good accuracy was Ashur's unfortunate death this season (although I really did not want it to be so). He was outpoliticed by Lucretia, outplayed by Glaber and out fought by a Naevia(Can one get a poorer death? ) Just as I thought the snake is gonna get a sh*itty death. That's how it goes. He didn't even get a proper fight with Crixus (which of course was a huge disappointment)....and yet you kinda wanted the snake to somehow once again slither away...but alas....

Another is Gannicus butchering Egyptian. Yes I believe I was the first one to call it(not to brag but it is interesting how the prediction came true).

And of course over the top Lucretia's revenge. Seriously I predicted the revenge to be pretty damn nasty but not even I thought that Lucretia would scoop this low. Seriously this woman has one demented mind. So she carved out the baby from Illithia and jumped of the cliff while Illithia slowly bled to death? LOL now I'm almost frightened to marry one some day...

Besides all of this very nicely paced episode IMO. It was really interesting to see how they are gonna use historical data to build up this episode. So they went with a bluff huh? Can't say it didn't work. Sucha usual tactic. This almost felt like Hannibal all over again. Oh and nice way to give references to season one and the whole role reversal... Like Glaber saying: "We'll kill them all" and Spartacus "Something, something on your knees".

So now that it's all said and done how much of important secondary characters have they lost? Gonna be rough to rebuild new opposition next season.

Harry9295

[13]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 5
    Great finale!!

Loralee_jk

[14]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 38

OMG you guys!! That episode was awesome!
    I thought it was gonna end w them escaping off the clift & was like WTF, BUT then it got awesome!

So I hope Spartacus's baby is still alive. Prob. not, but I can see it.
    Also Myia's death was surprising but i wasn't that's sad. Remember when Spartacus asked his wife one time 'what else did the Gods tell you?"
    And she said (so sexxy like!) "That you would never love another" ...So he won't. ..I want her in more flashbacks!!

I had a suspition that Lucy's character would die b/c in the interviews she said 'yes she lives! for at least another season' or something like that.

Also hot black guy dies first in the real history, so I'm not surprised he dies in S2. (yo! a lot of these chracters are real!!!)
    ...I didn't think Ashur would die. Like at all! So now I'm sad!!

Also Illithia's TOTALLY alive!!! she just fainted!

Loralee_jk

[15]Mar 31, 2012
    • level: 38
    ALSO!!!

***SPOILER***

Editor's note: Entry edited to add spoiler tags.

Also, please do not double post (posting twice in a row) as it goes against the TOS. Edit your last entry by clicking on the "edit" option in the drop down menu at the bottom of every post. Thanks

Edited on 04/01/2012 5:43am
    Edited 2 total times.

ice_edge

[16]Apr 1, 2012

Even though in Illithia's case I could see how this happens: j

I got to almost predict that it will be the new standard (dying people not really going to die).

Edited on 04/01/2012 11:03am

Ralfberg

[17]Apr 1, 2012

Even though I didn't like the beginning of this season, thought it won't be as good as first ones, it grew on me, and the ending was just GREAT! Spartacus sure can provide with great season endings

boom-moo

[18]Apr 1, 2012
    I find it interesting about those people who believe that Ilithya's baby could be alive. In case that's correct and the baby is found, how would that be relevant plot wise? Do you think the baby will be returned to Ilithya by whoever finds him or that she will manage to get help and ask the baby sought for?

ice_edge

[19]Apr 1, 2012
    boom-moo wrote:
    I find it interesting about those people who believe that Ilithya's baby could be alive. In case that's correct and the baby is found, how would that be relevant plot wise? Do you think the baby will be returned to Ilithya by whoever finds him or that she will manage to get help and ask the baby sought for?

I really doubt the creators are planning on having that baby alive. I would believe Illithia's magic survival would be enough for one face palm session. You simply can't survive such falls. Logic should come first IMO.

socluded

[20]Apr 1, 2012
    • level: 11

An amazing finale to this series. While it was unfortunate to see so many of the characters killed off itpaves the way for the Roman Senate to become more involved and set up new characters and villains to refresh the series next year.

I look forward to seeing Spartacus building his army of slavesto massive proportions. There should be quite a bit of conflict over direction and leadership building up between Spartacus and Crixus
    ***SPOILER***

This has to rate as the best telling of the story of Spartacus to date. Keep up the good work Starz and Anchor Bay.

Editor's note: Entry edited by the editor to hide spoilers under a tag.

Edited on 04/02/2012 4:35am
    Edited 2 total times.