Spartacus: War of the Damned

Enemies of Rome

Aired Friday 9:00 PM Jan 25, 2013 on Starz

• A Brilliant Beginning

Enemies of Rome may prove to be the best beginning episode to a series ever: breath-taking battle scenes for a show based on battles of good vs evil and the acquisitions of power, continuations of solid characters and the development of new characters to pique interest, and believable directions of the story/plot, and all of this was done with some great dialogue and writing!!! Critics of the show cite fake-looking blood, bad backgrounds, unrealistic looks on the show, and replacement actors - of all of these I can agree with only the last one as I still miss the charm and grace of Andy Whitfield (who will never be bested as Spartacus and earned his peaceful rest) over the straight-forward power of Liam McIntyre, and the original Naevia's charming beauty Lesley-Ann Brandt over the new tigress seemingly learning how to act as the series progresses. But the slicing bodies in their death throes oozing blood, is part of the allure of the series, and is a large part of why fans watch the show, so criticizing it is mindless and not credible; the backgrounds to me, are completely believable: Roman baths, cities, grey skies over battles, bodies scattered over plains and stone edifices are what historically made up the Roman empire, so criticizing those seem nit-picky and ticky-tacky commentaries. This episode in short had fantastic dialogues and scenes (the opening battle, interactions between Spartacus and his brother Gladiators while planning and celebrating, and their BATTLES, along with a surprisingly brilliant "final test" between Crassus and his slave-trainer) lots of gore and incredible fight scenes, wonderful sexy scenes, and superb character interactions. (Although we all could use less romantic interludes between men, even though that did happen in those days and is correctly portrayed - could young Tiberius be gay in fact?)

I didn't see anything that could have been done much better in this episode, did you, honestly?

And I can't wait for Fridays to come and the series to continue, even knowing that Spartacus will probably fall short of his goal to free the entire world of domination and reunite in the end with beloved Sura in heaven!!!