Episode 1 'Enemies Of Rome' discussion thread

boom-moo

[1]Jan 23, 2013
    • level: 75
    Please post your opinions/comments/discussion topics on episode 1 "Enemies of Rome" here.

-Spoilers are not allowed.
    -Bashing ships/characters is not allowed.
    -Discussion is welcome, arguing is not.
    -Trolls won't be fed, ignore and report it is.
    -Be respecful, keep it cool.

Thank you

(As per usual, I'll open a discussion thread for every new episode every Thursday and keep it locked until Friday. Past experience shows that comments posted before the episode airs tend to spoil the episode for spoiler free people and also, episode discussion threads that are opened days before their airing date tend to end up buried and reopened by different users which leads to confusion and clutter. Any comments regarding this episode should be done in the Spoilers thread until the episode has aired. Thank you.)
    Edited on 01/30/2013 1:50pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

PenguinSuzie

[2]Jan 28, 2013
    • level: 10
    Really good episode!

I really really like Crassus, which I wasn't expecting. I like that he doesn't look down on people just because of position as most of the Romans with the same level of position as him do, at least not in a way that he would underestimate them. Even if he takes advantage of them. Though I think he'd do the same to anyone in order to get what he wants. I really liked the friendship he had with his instructor.

Crassus's wife looked a bit like Illythia there in her first scene. The eyebrows, hair and clothes and even the way she sort of talked to him made me think of her.

I was really reminded during the beginning battle of what Andy had said during the first season about them not wanting the blood to be to real. The gore tends to be quite realistic but the blood almost never is.

Agron and Nassir were lovely. They seem to have a strong stable relationship by now.

I do get the impression that for Spartacus it's more than a little bit about revenge and not just for the cause. After all the noble 'cause' was how he gained the support but at last at that point it was very much about revenge. I liked that Gannius picked up on that. I like the idea of a friendship there.

I've never cared about Crixus/Naevia one way or the other but just when I was thinking that maybe I could start shipping them this season they start getting off on the blood and death. :/ It's not really any better than Illythia and Glaber having sex in the blood. Since despite it being a fantasy and not actually something they were doing, I get the impression that they would.

Oh the horse! I liked that it was something brought up again, what had happened to his horse after it got injured in the battle. (I think it was suppose to be the same horse anyway) It will be very interesting to see how Spartacus etc handle the food problem. That scene with the kids scrambling to eat the horses guts was disturbing on several levels. I like that it looked like he thought so too.

I wonder if there was something more than friendship between Crassus's son and his friend. Probably not, just the way it was shot and the fact that it got randomly intense made me curious.

I wish they'd tone the music down a little during fight scenes, it shouldn't really be something that you notice so strongly.

It bothers me a little Spartacus and co are going to barge into a city and take it, to use as a place for the entire army to stay. While a good plan it sort of means he's going to have to slaughter almost everyone in there, barely any of which will be soldiers or even 'nobles', most of the people will be civilians, and even when it comes to the nobles even though they own slaves it doesn't mean he should slaughter their entire family, kids and all. There are so many of them that they'll have to slaughter the poor as well if they want to have even a little space for all those people.

invisiblish

[3]Jan 28, 2013
    • level: 9
    I actually love the idea of Spartacus taking a city. I was curious if they would take it back to where it all began. It's the right move, and, as we have learned time and time again, Spartacus doesn't always do what is smart mostly what is right. I am quite sure that most of the civilians will be free to leave peacefully. Yes there will be death and gore of civilians, but Spartacus will step in and do what's right. Yes, even if it means the safety of his 'people' he will do what's right.

This does bring about a new turn for Spartacus, he has, til now, fought on multiple battlefields with little to defend. Now he will attempt to take a city, a castle if you will, to which he will have no choice but to defend to its utmost. Where Glabber took over his stronghold last season, he can't allow Crassus to do so. It will cost many lives and perhaps the war itself.

I'm a fan of how Crassus and Spartacus are so alike. Their minds are of great generals and tacticians. I'm even a bigger fan that Crassus has based his fighting style on that of Spartacus and Ganicus. I think a fight between the 2 will be epic.

I really thought that Illythia would live. I had ideas of her betrayal in Blood and Sand finally coming to revelation. I believe it was Crassus' cousin that she killed, her death (perhaps by his wife or son) would be a really good aspect I think.

boom-moo

[4]Jan 28, 2013
    PenguinSuzie wrote:
    I really really like Crassus, which I wasn't expecting. I like that he doesn't look down on people just because of position as most of the Romans with the same level of position as him do, at least not in a way that he would underestimate them.

invisiblish wrote:
    I'm a fan of how Crassus and Spartacus are so alike. Their minds are of great generals and tacticians. I'm even a bigger fan that Crassus has based his fighting style on that of Spartacus and Ganicus. I think a fight between the 2 will be epic.

I agree, Crassus seems to be a man of honor, brave, strong, smart and cunning. Add to that the fact that they share a fighting style (very clever writing there!). They couldn't have come up with a better match for Spartacus. Is it me or Crassus' wife is awfully jealous of Kore? I think that Crassus and Kore have feelings for each other. And I also had the feeling that Tiberius and his friend share a secret bond beyond friendship.

Wow, go Nasir! Him and Naevia have grown pretty fierceless. Spartacus has a massive army but many (if not most) don't seem to be too skilled at fighting, at least not skilled enough to match a Roman soldier.

I enjoyed the friendship between Gannicus and Spartacus too (I was surprised when Gannicus told Spartacus about his story with Melitta) above all their conversation about what being a leader entails and their respective motivations to carry on fighting. It was a beautiful and meaningful moment.

PenguinSuzie wrote:
    That scene with the kids scrambling to eat the horses guts was disturbing on several levels. I like that it looked like he thought so too.
    It was, and it totally opened his eyes about what to do next, that's why he decided to retreat for a bit and seek food and warmth so that spring finds him and his men strong and ready to keep fighting. I liked it that it didn't occur to him and that he gave heed to the insight of a man focused on the primary needs of the rebel army while he was blinded by his thirst of revenge.

Taking a city sounds really exciting! After so much bloodshed and so many fights, the writers keep up coming up with new ideas to cater for the gore side of the show. It'll be done on Spartacus' terms and I'm curious on what those are gonna be. I don't think that he is going to condone the indiscriminate killing of Roman civilians though.

PenguinSuzie

[5]Jan 28, 2013
    • level: 10

invisiblish wrote:
    I actually love the idea of Spartacus taking a city. I was curious if they would take it back to where it all began. It's the right move, and, as we have learned time and time again, Spartacus doesn't always do what is smart mostly what is right. I am quite sure that most of the civilians will be free to leave peacefully. Yes there will be death and gore of civilians, but Spartacus will step in and do what's right. Yes, even if it means the safety of his 'people' he will do what's right.
    It is definitely necessary, but since it compromises the lives of many of his own people and many innocents will die in the process I don't think it's technically good or right. Given how many people Spartacus has, he'll need to clear out a lot of civilians homes in order to make space. Though maybe he'll just let them leave. Is that what you meant by them being able to leave? I really hope that's the case. Since if not, it would be pretty disturbing to see them slaughter their way through an entire city of defenceless people. Though at best if he lets them leave they'll still lose their livelihoods and probably end up on streets by the hundreds. I think I might just be over thinking this though. I do want them to have a large safe space where the freed slaves can thrive.

Edited on 01/28/2013 4:28pm

invisiblish

[6]Jan 29, 2013
    PenguinSuzie wrote:

invisiblish wrote:
    It is definitely necessary, but since it compromises the lives of many of his own people and many innocents will die in the process I don't think it's technically good or right. Given how many people Spartacus has, he'll need to clear out a lot of civilians homes in order to make space. Though maybe he'll just let them leave. Is that what you meant by them being able to leave? I really hope that's the case. Since if not, it would be pretty disturbing to see them slaughter their way through an entire city of defenceless people. Though at best if he lets them leave they'll still lose their livelihoods and probably end up on streets by the hundreds. I think I might just be over thinking this though. I do want them to have a large safe space where the freed slaves can thrive.

NOTE: Most of this is a theory discussion, apologies in advance.

Yes, I did mean they are free to leave. I think Spartacus will target a city that is heavy in slavery, ie. a corrupt city much like Nasir was freed.

I agree that Crassus' wife was jealous, and rightfully so from appearances. It would seem that Crassus is much like Lucretia in her taking bed with a slave, though he does share her vision in doing so. Also about his eldest son and best friend.

I don't think it would be foolish at all to expect Spartacus to be on the immediate defense as soon as winter comes. I don't expect Crassus to wait for his attack. Being that Crassus has gained (yet another) position I would reckon that his probable affair with a slave, will lead to political backlash, if not during the season then after his 'victory'.

boom-moo

[7]Jan 29, 2013
    No apology needed, spoiler free discussion is very much welcome

invisiblish wrote:
    Being that Crassus has gained (yet another) position I would reckon that his probable affair with a slave, will lead to political backlash, if not during the season then after his 'victory'.
    But wasn't that common practice? As far as I know many Romans of means did free their slaves and marry them without harm to their social status.

invisiblish

[8]Feb 2, 2013
    I've never bothered much to research something like that. If not then perhaps his wife will finally rise to the occasion.

boom-moo

[9]Feb 3, 2013
    I just watch every documentary about the Roman empire that I can get my hads on

invisiblish wrote:
    If not then perhaps his wife will finally rise to the occasion.
    After watching episode 2, I think you are making a good point about the wife.